amy in hong kong

Meet Amy! She is a pioneer. Amy is the first Free People designer to take a full time position overseas. Most of our designers travel regularly to the factories to over see product development, develop relationships with our vendors, and learn about how to improve our products with the resources each factory has available. Amy is working for us in Hong Kong where she can work hand in hand with our factories on a day to day basis. Previous to her move, she was working in Philadelphia as our sweater designer.
In this photo, Amy sits where a woman that specializes in hand knitting usually sits. Amy works with her to experiment with new yarns and techniques.
hand%20knit%20sweater%20fitting.JPG
Here Amy is fitting one of our hand knit sweater samples on Sally, a girl she works with at the factory.
yarn%20storage.JPG
Here is a photo of where Amy keeps all the FP yarns. It is right near the sample room, so she has easy access to choose yarns for knitdowns.
sample%20knitter.JPG
Here is one of the factory employees working on a swatch. This machine is a 12 gauge handflat knitting machine.
writing%20a%20spec.JPG
And here is Amy writing a spec in an office of one of the three factories she works with the most.
Hopefully Amy will continue to send us news from Hong Kong. I’m really excited to see pictures of where she lives, the culture and fashion! So stay tuned for more news from China!

Tags:

Comments

an fpgirl -December 6, 2006, 8:49PM

GREAT POST!

Anonymous -December 7, 2006, 2:19AM

What are the conditions like for the other factory workers?

anaism -December 7, 2006, 12:10PM

I really like all design from freepeople, however I live in Hong Kong so I couldn’t make any order in your site …. I really hope you guys can accept international order in the future …

Another anon -December 8, 2006, 1:39AM

I’m with Anonymous up above. Please tell us what the conditions are like for the other factory workers. Thanks!

kara -December 9, 2006, 1:43PM

I’d also be very interested in hearing about what the working conditions are like for your workers as you paint such a rosy picture. I am a big fan of your clothes, but it would be sadly ironic if you are called “Free People” and use did not pay your workers livable wages, wouldn’t it?

fpgirl -December 11, 2006, 12:03AM

on the working conditions…
I asked Amy to give her first hand account. She said we work in some of the best quality factories. The facilities are relatively clean (you can see by the photos, they are not glamourous, but they are factories after all) There are no children working. Only young adults and older. They work from morning until noon and take an hour lunch. Then work until six. There are night shifts during times of high production. In China, most of the employees are from small villages and come stay in the city to make a living for their families. The employees live in dorms near the factory. It is common for people to come and work for a few years, then once they have saved enough money, return to their village. This usually happens during Chinese New Year when the factory shuts down and employees take vacation. Amy says that in spending time there, she feels like Free People is really helping these communities, by bringing them business and supporting their economy.
I hope this gives some insight into what it is like to work in these factories. I’m sure people have a lot of curiosity concerning these conditions. It is certainly unfortunate that not everyone enjoys the luxuries we do in this country. But hopefully it can be understood that our business is helping these people. I will do my best to answer any questions I can.

Buffi -December 11, 2006, 10:43AM

Wow! that looks super exciting! Yeah, get Amy to send us pics of the culture and fashion!

Leo -December 14, 2006, 3:53PM

We miss you Amy!

Anonymous -December 16, 2006, 11:25AM

I’ve asked more questions about the working conditions, and not only have they been ignored, the posts weren’t allowed to show up. I guess that answers my questions.
Goodbye Free People, Hello Clear Conscious!

fpgirl -December 17, 2006, 10:31PM

hello anonymous. Comments do not show up right away because I read them before I publish them. That way I know what is being commented on and I can respond if necessary. Another thing is, I do not typically work on the blog on the weekend, so sometimes it takes a couple of days for comments to be published.
I honestly did not receive any more questions about the working conditions. And I personally have no first hand knowledge. The info I have passed on is from a girl actually living and working there on a daily basis. I apologize if there was some sort of error, but I truly have not received any more questions.

marie -February 18, 2008, 6:43AM

I am looking for handflat machine gauge 9 knitting machine. I am in Kenya how much does it cost and how can i get it?

Marie -March 28, 2008, 10:08AM

Amy
I am looking for a handflat machine gauge 9 or gauge 11. Is it possible to get one from you?
Mary Mutua, Kenya – Africa

Lauren Williams -April 22, 2008, 11:30AM

hi, my name is lauren, i embelish clothes for a few stores where i live, in bellingham, wa. i also embellished some clothes for urban renewal in october. im also very interested in making accesories and taking old things and making them into new. i was wondering how you got started designing for free people, and if you have any advise about getting my stuff out there more and maybe one day doing what your doing…

Anonymous -February 9, 2010, 4:26AM

i am very inspried…

Hoinu lenthang -February 9, 2010, 4:28AM

i am very inspired by yours work…

Kyra -July 11, 2012, 5:28PM

Do you pay fair wages?

Corina -January 21, 2013, 3:43PM

As kyra asked, do you pay fair wages to the factory employees?

Anonymous -June 24, 2013, 11:50AM

Selling $200 dollar dresses to spoiled white girls everywhere, while profiting off of the labor of others. FREE PEOPLE? FREE. PEOPLE. What a joke.