bamboo & ropes

The new store display was designed around 3 different materials: a mix of bamboo, cotton rope, and grass mats. The grass mats are from India and made of strips of bamboo. The patterns were inspired by fabrics our Visual Director bought in Tanzinia on a safari and some fabrics the accessories team designed with. The display team reinterpreted the prints into these big crazy versions and hand painted the mats.

The rope was ordered in bulk (72,000 feet!) and half was hand dyed by the display team in their workspace. You should see the floor now, it’s turned green from all the dyeing! They got smart and had the other half professionally dyed by a company in Philly.
summer%2007%20display%20002.jpg
They had the bamboo delivered from India, and when it arrived it was totally covered in mold! The display team hand bleached and scrubbed every piece. These girls work hard for their displays…
summer07%20804%20009.jpg
And they get thirsty while they work, so don’t mind the mess. But their work totally pays off, right? It looks so beautiful.

Tags: ,

Comments

Sarah Ann -March 28, 2007, 12:57PM

Just returned from a trip. Time for another one to NJ!

kayte -March 28, 2007, 4:23PM

looks great! that last picture looks like the aftermath of an antrho overnight. we used to get so much food, you would think we were going camping for a week.

Micalah -March 28, 2007, 6:55PM

I’ve never been to an FP store as there are none close enough, but I’m so in love with them by the picutures I’ve seen. I’m so thrilled a store is opening right near me and I’m really nervous as I’m hoping to get a job there! Nothing would be better than working there! Great job on the displays, they look really great!!!

tiffanie miyashiro -March 30, 2007, 1:24AM

gorgeous!

Danielle -March 30, 2007, 3:50AM

Nice pictures, and your blog is amazing! If there would only be a Free People shop in Berlin…

Mindy -March 30, 2007, 11:52AM

What happens to all this gorgeous material when they change displays? They go to so much work to create such beauty! way to go girls!!!

Emily -April 12, 2007, 1:23PM

I love the layout of the store. I am a good shopper and it would make me want to buy stuff!! So fun!

Tiffany -June 19, 2007, 11:12AM

I love so many of the displays and furniture I see when shopping at your stores in the DC Metro area. Are they ever for sale?? For example, in the Tyson’s Corner store, I fell head over heels for the benches, pillows and rugs in the dressing rooms.
Do keep making stylish, conscious clothes that inspire….

fpgirl -June 21, 2007, 9:15AM

Hey Tiffany,
Sometimes the stores sell display items at the end of the season. We don’t sell things that are permanent display, like the pillows and carpets, but sometimes the more seasonal items. You have to check with the individual store. When I know there are certain items for sale, I can post it on the blog.

Moncler -August 26, 2011, 5:12AM

Moncler Jackets Sale,80% Discount.here to buy Moncler Jackets Men! Shopping on CheapMonclers.org here would save your money. We also recommend:Moncler Jackets Women AB4HJYLFNPCRC4CKwer