april in africa

Our newest catalog should be on its way! Continuing with our theme of travel, the latest is inspired by Africa.

DSCN1120.JPG
Our graphic designer took the oppurtunity to really run with the theme and did a ridiculous amount of artwork to collage into the catalog. Above photos show the pile of original works of painting and markmaking.
DSCN1123.JPG
She also hand cut linoleum blocks to get the stamping technique seen in some of the titles. This book proved to be a truly hands on project. Stay tuned for more Africa “behind the scenes” and check out the catalog here…

Comments

Anonymous -April 9, 2007, 4:49PM

Hopefully you realize that Africa is one HUGE place — inspiration could have been drawn from one country in Africa. So often people think of Africa as one place. Esp. people from America…

Kristy -April 9, 2007, 7:07PM

I love doing linoleum carvings. they’re so great. though it hurts an awful lot if you cut your finger with one of the cutters. i hope the help+info one turned out okay cause from what i remember they are reversed when you make prints…. hmm… this post has really got me wanting to do some of these again.

julie -April 9, 2007, 8:29PM

Where did she learn to do all of that?!

danie -April 9, 2007, 8:44PM

where did u go for this catalog???
i love the travel theme, it’s exactly my style, you guys are soooo AWESOME!!!!!!

mary -April 9, 2007, 11:19PM

i love the look of the blockprinting, and that pile of papers is so pretty. can’t wait til mine comes in the mail!

sabine brandt -April 10, 2007, 11:21AM

· { can I be your graphic designer, this look so much fun, its wonderful } ·

paige -April 10, 2007, 4:50PM

who is the little girl in the catalog? she’s a cutie!

maureenk -April 10, 2007, 5:21PM

I just received the catalog in the mail today. It is absolutely beautiful. I love all aspects of Africa, and love that you have Zimbabwean headbands. I am planning to travel there next summer, and enjoyed seeing your interpretation through fashion! Job well done!

fpgirl -April 11, 2007, 5:08PM

Hey Julie!
Our graphic designer went to school at Rhode Island School of Design. She is super talented, right?

fpgirl -April 11, 2007, 5:33PM

hey Kristy!
About the block printing… The HELP & INFO came out just fine thanks to the aid of computers! She just flipped the image on the computer. That’s why she’s the graphic designer and not the FP linoleum cutter. haha…

kathy -May 7, 2007, 1:52AM

i loved this catalog. i love all the colors and just everything about it. it’s so creative.

Leha -May 8, 2007, 2:45PM

Your graphic designer is my hero! Who is she? I have always wanted to know. I love all the photos that turn into drawings, the collaging and layering, the handmade touches, the old book stuff (esp. that kestrel)–and the colors! Inspired by Africa, or a country within it, or one piece of fabric, a flower, or whatever it is, one thing is for sure and that is that she is INSPIRED! Every catalog! And the website…
Thanks,