catalog stories

Got a comment from Paige asking about this little girl in our latest catalog. And Danie asked about the location. So here goes…
The catalog team shot the book in Puerto Rico. They travelled all along the north east coast, visiting San Juan, Ceiba, and El Yunque rainforest. They were driving through a beach town, saw the rooster mural on the side of a building and thought it would be a cool place to shoot. This little girl kept riding her bike by and watching the models. The FP girls asked her to be in the photo but the girl was super shy. Eventually she warmed up to them and decided to be in the photo if she could hold the model’s hand.

Comments

freepeople girl -April 12, 2007, 6:26PM

awww, that is so cute! She blends in really well with the models and the background- I love it! You should do stuff like that more often! ;)

Sanaz Ebriani -April 12, 2007, 9:47PM

What a touching story. Brings such a warm quality to the picture.
I have a question:
What is the name of the gorgeous model on the right? Is she Persian or Indian. She is absolutely stunning.
-Sanaz Ebriani

jinius -April 13, 2007, 10:36AM

i love hearing the story behind the photo! had a chance to visit el yunque rain forest a year ago. it’s quite stunning. and the photos look great!

danie -April 15, 2007, 2:09PM

thanks!!!!

carla -April 16, 2007, 7:40PM

I just got the catalog, and I found the picture creepy. Sure, the child is adorable, but fashion has always done this–used local people as “colorful” props when they go on shoots abroad. People aren’t props. Makes me feel not so good about supporting Free People.

fpgirl -April 17, 2007, 9:16AM

Hi Carla. I can assure you we do not view people as props. They didn’t go into the location looking for local people. The girl happened to be interested in the shoot, and our team thought the girl would enjoy being in the photo. It wasn’t just a photo opportunity. I hope this photo does not tarnish your perception of a company that truly values people.

carla -April 17, 2007, 7:19PM

Thanks, fpgirl. It certainly seems as though this is a company that does, which is why I was surprised by the image. I study photographs so believe me, there is a loooooong history of this kind of representation born of less-than-respectful intentions.

R. -April 19, 2007, 9:16AM

What is the name of the model on the right? She is beautiful!

M -April 25, 2007, 12:34AM

I agree..Who is she/where is she from? She is absolutely gorgeous..(i have my money on persian ;) )

Genie X -May 1, 2007, 8:40PM

Incidentally, did her mother sign a model release?
Was she paid as a professional model would be for the shoot?
Gotta agree with Carla on this one. The image seems a little neo-colonial to me. (Shudder)

Denise -March 17, 2008, 6:21PM

I also would like to know the name of the model on the right! :)
She is so striking.