journey is the destination

I promised to share a couple of books that were really inspiring to the creative team while working on April’s catalog. The first is called “Zara’s Tales” , a memoir about Peter Beard’s adventures in Africa and dedicated to his daughter, Zara. Beard’s beautiful photography and drawings are scattered throughout.
dscn1113.JPG
The second is called “The Jouney is the Destination: The Journals of Dan Eldon“. Dan was an accomplished photo journalist by the age of 22 and was also a fantastic artist, combining collage techniques with his amazing photographs. This book was compiled from several scrap books he kept and his family assembled after his tragic death at 22, when Dan Eldon was working in extremely dangerous conditions in Mogadishu. A truly inspiring man of passion and talent. I recommend you check out this website “An Electronic Revolution” inspired by his life and work.

Tags: ,

Comments

Anonymous -April 11, 2007, 10:14AM

Oh my god! I just got the Cape Town Platforms in the mail and they are awesome!! SO cute, and fit really well!!

amy -April 11, 2007, 11:56AM

Hey! First of all, I LOVE Free People!!! Second, You guys should switch up your gift wrap — I know I had something gift wrapped a while ago, just to get the cute bag!! And I’m def. up for new cute gift bag ;)

closetcupcake -April 11, 2007, 12:34PM

I used to be obsessed with that Dan Eldon book when my art instructor introduced me to it back in high school! I haven’t looked at it in so long, its probably all dusty now!

Anonymous -April 11, 2007, 12:54PM

I heard a rumor threw the grapevine,, Is it true that your new striped minislip comes with matching undies?

mimimiami -April 11, 2007, 2:42PM

A prayer to the FP Gods:
Oh, Free People Blog Gods
please start answering our questions
posted on the Free People Blog
please share your Free People knowledge
with us and
please don’t ingnore our questions
peace

fpgirl -April 11, 2007, 4:49PM

to mimimiami and the rest…
I’m sorry! I’m not ignoring you! You know how things get… Most questions will get answered in time. I have found I’m getting a lot of the same questions and am working on a FAQ list. Also, I might have to team up with our call center to get answers to questions like “are you getting more of this in my size?” So I’m working on it. There are also times when I respond to questions by email, directly with the commenter, so you may not see the answers. I can make more of an effort to make that clear to all readers. Thanks for commenting!!!

mimimiami -April 11, 2007, 4:57PM

thanks fpgirl!

fpgirl -April 11, 2007, 5:56PM

Like many things that come through the grapevine, this rumor is unfortunately false. There are no matching undies for the striped mini slip. But the ruffle panty matches the black geo and pink batik slip!

Eliz -May 10, 2007, 2:53PM

Dan Eldon is my absolute hero.
He went to the same summer camp as I did when I was little! All the way in Iowa.
Free People is also my aboslute hero and his book has inspired me to make alot of lovely things too!

Ijlal -June 4, 2007, 8:03PM

Dan Eldon truly an inspiration to us all