s’more july catalog

Want s’more behind the scenes info on our new catalog? Well, I’ve told you that the trend concept is Grunge Princess. This idea is how the inspiration for the artwork came about. All of the little drawings and color swatches are done in crayon and colored pencil. They are slightly juvenile looking to me, the way I might have doodled in my notebook the first time grunge was cool. Very Sassy magazine like. And the swatches of color also relate to the idea of patchwork and afghans. Then there are all the scrolling designs and flowers, to meet up with the “princess” part of the trend.

Our photo team took a bunch of cool photos with a Holga camera just for fun. The photos turned out really cool and we ended up using them to border a lot of the pages. These are all the negatives and the images with the blurred edges you see along the sides and in the backgrounds throughout the catalog.
grunge1.jpg
grunge2.jpg

Comments

amy -July 10, 2007, 6:45PM

the catalog is very beautiful! i very much want the menswear mesh dress and the pointelle pixie tights.
i would also like to mention that i have a holga camera and love it!

Marie -July 11, 2007, 3:58PM

WOW!! Your new retro nylon vest looks EXACTLY like Nisa San Francisco’s vest of LAST YEAR. How coincidental!!

Sarah -July 11, 2007, 4:23PM

The Twilight Empire Jacket loooks sooooo much like those Mike and Chris jackets.

heidi-kira -July 11, 2007, 8:48PM

i just looked at the magazine, and i loove it and all the new clothing – i just started my fall wishlist i just looked at the magazine, and i loove it and all the new clothing – i just started my fall wishlist <3
amd i’m also a holga-girl :)

Jess -July 12, 2007, 10:38PM

Omigoodness! This catalog is absolutely lovely! Handsdown my favourite catalog ever! I absolutely adore everything…fall clothes are admittedly my favourite! ;) Between the amazing chunky sweaters, comfy thermals, mocassins, ribbed tights, amazing patterns, and lovely sweaters and cardigans this shoot captures the hippie, vintage, grunge princess feeling! This catalog embodies free people and ulitmatley, what my style is all about! Thank you for an amazing catalog…and a personal favourite!
xx

Nat -July 13, 2007, 2:46PM

I’m obsessed with the new catalog. I’ve probably looked through it about seven times.

curious -July 16, 2007, 2:21PM

Who is the blond model on the cover?

Allison -July 25, 2007, 11:56AM

Everything in your new catalog is amazing. I’m going to have a hard time deciding exactly what to buy for this fall. I’ll most definitely be buying some sweaters and thermals though, you can never go wrong with those. By the way, whoever did the models’ makeup did a great job, I love their look.

Jess -August 6, 2007, 11:56PM

Me again haha….speaking of catalogs I had a suggestion for the free people website! I was wondering if you could have links or an archive of all the free people catalogs online. I really enjoy looking through them, and although I keep all of mine I accidently lost two of them! =( They were nowhere to be found and I would LOVE to find them on the free people website. I hope this is possible! Thanks free people!
xx