september catalog… dark fairy

Here’s a little intro to our new September catalog dropping on Monday!
The two trend concepts for the collection were Dark Fairy and Sport. I’ll tell you a little more about each trend next week. We were really inspired by this photography book called “A Fairy’s Child” by Ann Dahlgren and Douglas Foulke. We loved the book so much, we contacted Douglas and asked if he would be interested in shooting our catalog! He agreed and he and his wife shot our catalog at their home in Connecticut. (The photos above are from his portfolio on his website…)
book2.jpg
As far as art direction, the creative team was really into old books, bindings, bookplates… One of our creative assistants did the fairy painting above on the pages of an old book, and then painted lines over the text too. Below are just some other old books we looked at for ideas.
binding1.jpg
binding3.jpg

Tags: ,

Comments

OliveGrey -September 8, 2007, 9:38PM

The photo of the girl in the red dress is sublime.

Jess -September 9, 2007, 5:04PM

Oh dear, free people! You’ve outdone yourselves again! I am absolutely in loveee with the September catalog! Everything about it, from the clothes, hair, makeup, models, and surroundings…it is pure perfection! It has a very “fairytale forest” feel to me, and very fall, and always a bit hippie! I adore it! The pictures are incredibly beautiful, and the set for it is outstanding! I love you free people, keep up the inspiring work!!
xx

amy -September 10, 2007, 3:38AM

You definitely have some of the most talented people working with you. Love!

Ann -September 10, 2007, 12:33PM

Oooh one of the best concepts to date for FP!

Jess -September 12, 2007, 5:22PM

hello again! ;) ps…in the catalog there is the beautiful picture where one of the models is “playing” with these hanging “raindrops” that I adore and would love to make to hang in my room as well. Any tips on how to make them and what to make them out of?? Thanks so much!!!
xx

fpgirl -September 13, 2007, 4:47PM

Hey Jess.
I asked our creative director about the “raindrops” and here was her reply…
“I wish I could say that we uncovered the crystals from mossy rocks in the connecticut woods, but they actually came from an art supply store
that we just restrung with fishing line. nothing crazy…”
Hope that helps!

Jess -September 13, 2007, 10:20PM

Thanks so much fpgirl!! I really appreciate the effort and quick reply! haha uncovering them from mossy rocks would be pretty amazing, but at least now this is something I can do myself!! Thanks so much…and the idea for it alone is pretty amazing itself! Who needs moss? ;)
much love!
xx

Amy -September 15, 2007, 2:57PM

I just got my catalog today! I love the woodland fairy sort of theme more than any other that’s been done by Free People! Everything is so beautiful. I’m definately going to try and save up for a few of these things.

kendall -September 19, 2007, 9:46PM

i love the new catalog! i got mine about a week ago
(or whenever they were sent out hehe)
and i am definitely going to see if i can make it to the chicago store to look around at all the new stuff!!
:] kendall

oladios -October 3, 2007, 8:42PM

who is the author of Moonshine book please ?
I can read it from this photo .