diy sequined canvas

We first posted photos of the sequined canvases when our NYC store opened. Now they are part of all of the FP stores’ spring display. A reader commented asking how to make these, and one of our talented display girls had some great advice I wanted to share with everyone.
For our proto, our designer actually hand sewed each sequin on by hand, and then left a space for the screen printed flower applique. She does not recommend doing that yourself! Luren suggests going to a fabric store and buying a small amount of sequined fabric, maybe the stretchy variety. This could be a little expensive, so another great alternative would be to find some sequined wonder of a dress at a thrift store for a couple of dollars. That way you would be recycling material and not spending much $$. The fabric can them be fixed onto a frame of canvas stretchers and decorated as you like.
Hope that helps! If you end up making the project, you should send me the photos and I’ll post them on the blog! Just leave your email address in a comment and I will get in touch. Happy crafting!

Tags: , ,

Comments

Laura Wisneski -February 22, 2008, 12:09PM

Where do you get cool flower appliques? (Especially ones that coordinate so well!)

wendy -February 25, 2008, 11:59AM

or.. you could cover the canvas in glue and pour a bag of sequins on it.. or glitter!! this sounds like a fun project!!

Anonymous -February 26, 2008, 5:37PM

I second that question. The coolest part about those pieces are the amazing flower appliques! Please let us know :)

fpgirl -February 26, 2008, 10:50PM

About the appliques, I think ours were screen printed. But you could cut groups of flowers out from printed fabric, or maybe even use some scraps of wallpaper. Does anyone else have some cool suggestions?

AshleyL. -February 29, 2008, 11:49PM

oooooooh i love them!

Andie -May 27, 2008, 10:46PM

im in the process of making some for my room, and im using oil cloth. hope it helps!

Corrie Hill -June 30, 2008, 4:15PM

I tried to do my own version of these fabulous canvas. Check them out at http://www.creativecorrie.blogspot.com

Kayla -June 15, 2009, 3:36AM

Hello. Would you be willing to sell one to me? I’m in love with these art pieces and I’d be so thrilled if I could purchase one? Please let me know. Thanks soooo much! Hello. Would you be willing to sell one to me? I’m in love with these art pieces and I’d be so thrilled if I could purchase one? Please let me know. Thanks soooo much! <3