eco-graffiti

_MII2.jpg
I love this “graffiti” using moss, created by Anna Garforth and Elly Stevens. They call the project MOSSenger. I wish I could figure out how they got the moss to be on the wall in those letters like that! I can’t find any information on the project that elaborates on the process very much. Still, very cool! For more pictures and information, check out this post on Yatzer!

Tags:

Comments

Anonymous -November 10, 2008, 9:30PM

I LOVE THIS BLOG!!!!!!!!!!!
i read it every day.. don’t stop the goodness

trina -November 11, 2008, 12:24AM

it’s probably moss “paint”. :) the recipe i know is one part buttermilk or active culture plain yogurt to one part beer or water and a decent amount of spongy green moss. Blend it all in a blender, and add more moss or liquid till it’s paint-able and away you go! :) I have heard that moss painting can be tricky to get the moss to root but sounds fun to try. I can barely keep a terrarium alive so i haven’t tried my hand at this yet.

David S Dowling -November 11, 2008, 9:09AM

Looking at the pictures carefully, it seems that the moss has been cut from the ground (as it appears to have bits of sticks and leaves- forest floor material- bound up in it) and applied like turf with some adhesive to the walls- mosses can be tightly woven, almost like felt, so it can hold together if used like that. You can actually get moss to grow on walls like that by using lichen spores or chia seed, bound with an organic glue and some nutrient (like spoiled milk), sprayed over a stencil. How well it grows will be a question of environment, so it’s tough to control. I assume that’s why the artist in question didn’t do it that way, if indeed they didn’t.

pruittfpgirl -November 11, 2008, 9:40AM

Wow! Thanks for the information guys – very interesting!
Maybe I’ll try making some moss paint….

Elizabeth -November 11, 2008, 11:13PM

there’s a how-to for moss graffiti in the craft book, “Craftivity”

Market Publique -November 14, 2008, 5:24PM

This goes to all the grown-ups who thing graffiti is “ugly” and “defacing”. Take THAT!

person -July 13, 2009, 11:41AM

actually i heard how to do it im not sure if it works though its on helen nodding’s web site