the yarn & knitting room!

Today I discovered a really cool room in 543 that I had no idea existed before! I am so excited to share it with you! I was very lucky that I happened to wander into the sweater designers’ room with my camera when I did, because I bumped into Lindsey, one of our designers, who asked me, “Have you ever seen the yarn room? I’m heading that way.” Heck no! I hadn’t even heard of it, and it is filled with things of interest!

Welcome to the yarn room!

IMG_6084.JPG
Natasha is already working hard on one of the knitting machines! This particular machine is a domestic knitting machine. There are also industrial types, one of which you can see a little bit, behind Natasha. Both types are used in our factories. They are amazingly faster than hand knitting! Our sweater designers use them to create prototype designs right here at the home office!
IMG_6145.JPG
IMG_6152.JPG
I can’t wait to see what Natasha makes with this cool sweater cloth she’s created!
IMG_6091.JPG
Meanwhile, Lindsey is quickly threading another machine and beginning her work!
IMG_6100.JPG
In this picture, Lindsey is getting ready to pull the handle toward us – this will create a row of stitches.
IMG_6127.JPG
…Tinkering with a couple of the stitches.
IMG_6132.JPG
After just a few minutes, she has knitted quite a bit!
IMG_6106.JPG
It’s lucky Natasha and Lindsey know what they’re doing, because these cool instructions posted on the wall might be hard for some of us to read!
IMG_6135.JPG
Free People and Anthropologie share the yarn room, and one of our friends Hani from Anthro here too! She is working with another cool machine, which winds loose yarn onto a bobbin really really fast!
IMG_6124.JPG
IMG_6125.JPG
Perfect!

Tags:

Comments

Chris Conway -February 20, 2009, 4:14PM

I know lil’ miss Lindsey! She use to live in San Diego, we took design classes together. I tried writing her through MySpace and an old email but all to no avail, the system doesn’t seem to like me today. Tell her a friendly left coast “Hello”.
Love the blog and all the behind the scenes shots! Keep ‘em coming.

Morgan -February 20, 2009, 7:49PM

ooOOoooO love it!! I would love to work there…put my crochet hook to good use! No, I think the machine is way faster than my hands could ever be :)

Kristi -February 20, 2009, 8:59PM

I love the behind the scenes pics from the FP Home Office, keep them coming! It’s my dream job to work there! Love the blog :)

Lauren -February 20, 2009, 10:13PM

Do you know if any of the Anthro sraff has a “behind-the-scene” blog…kinda like this FP one? It’d be interesting to see what goes on there… thanks! =)

Jen -February 21, 2009, 8:29AM

I am in awe of this room. I imagine it looks really easy and fast, but it probably isn’t, especially when they try to add pattern to the design. Thanks for the post and all the great pictures.

Chloe C. -February 21, 2009, 9:39AM

Love these behind the scenes looks. Thank you FP!

christina -February 21, 2009, 7:04PM

cooh la la i would spend my life in that room!!

Niccole -February 22, 2009, 8:03PM

SO Cool! I always enjoy the photos from the office. Thanks for sharing.

shelby ling -February 23, 2009, 12:44AM

talk about my dream job. everything i work for.

Nancy Queen -February 23, 2009, 12:25PM

What a great post! That room is a yarn lover’s dream. I’ll be sharing this page with all my knitting friends!

Gloria MEREDITH -March 13, 2009, 1:33AM

I can read the instruction on the wall, but I don’t have a clue how to knitt. LOL.

Henry -July 15, 2010, 3:52PM

Hi hopefully you can help.looking for a hand knitting machine to use in a knitting course in college.Thanks

laura -August 23, 2010, 1:21PM

Hi. I work at a puppet shop and Ive been looking for a knitting machine just like this for a while now. We have one here lackin a manual. Is there anyway you could possibly retrieve the info of this machine for me? model and make? there are sooo many machines out there! Thank you!

milA -November 24, 2011, 11:27PM

hi! :) i really enjoy your blog! i have a quick question. the domestic knitting machine that natasha is using, what is the brand name of it? i am interested in buying one for my mother and i dont know where to start. any sugesstions? if you have any info on industrial machines as well? im not concerned with the price, i just want her to have a good machine. she used to have one when we lived in russia and its hard to find one here! if you can help out, that would be great! thanks

Fibrebender -January 27, 2012, 3:59PM

Where are you? I am a machine knitter and can help with where to get a machine in the U.S.