book club update

Post image for book club update

a little while ago i asked you all to vote on our next book club selection out of six choices that were picked from your suggestions when we first started the book club.  the winner of the vote was stephen chbosky’s “the perks of being a wallflower.” however we also received several comments from people who felt strongly that we not select that book. unfortunately we can’t make everyone happy, but before we make a decision i wanted to ask you all for your opinion one more time.

would you be interested in reading “the perks of being a wallflower?” or would you rather us choose a different book? let us know in the comments section!

image.

Tags: ,

Comments

Yak -March 22, 2010, 11:41AM

personally i think we should do another book. just because many people have already read that book

Jess -March 22, 2010, 12:33PM

I agree. I read it in high school, was a good book, but I think there are other really great books we can choose from

becky -March 22, 2010, 12:34PM

I agree with yak, I’ve read it and so have most of my friends. Also, didn’t quite love it and I don’t particularly want to read it again.

katie -March 22, 2010, 1:03PM

i think we should most definitely read it. i love the book, it’s among my favorites and i will be highly disappointed to see it dropped. i would dare to say that for every person who feels strongly that we don’t read it, there are people who feel equally as strong that we do read it. i am disappointed that it is even being reconsidered.

jordan -March 22, 2010, 1:21PM

I would like to read it and for all the people who have already read it, read it again. you usually notice things you didnt notice before

Berries -March 22, 2010, 1:34PM

Eh, sounds boring. YOu should stick to some classics that are still amazing.

Kristyn -March 22, 2010, 1:35PM

I won’t read the book. Pick another

kaitlyn -March 22, 2010, 2:14PM

The Perks of Being a Wallflower was a good read, and I know I would read it again for a book club. As for the person who suggested classics, a good follow-up read would be Catcher in the Rye. They have similar themes, but were written in different time periods, and it’s interesting to draw similarities and look at the differences between the two books.

Another book that I thoroughly enjoyed and has great potential for discussion is The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho. I think it would be a good fit for Free People.

Tiffany -March 22, 2010, 2:24PM

I feel this book yields to the younger crowd.. like 14 year olds. I read it in HS and I liked it, but it’s not something I’d want to read again.

samantha McGinnis -March 22, 2010, 2:25PM

Would much rather read something else. Have already read it and didn’t love it the first time.

natalie -March 22, 2010, 2:53PM

Drop it. Something preferably not associated with MTV puhlease!

Monte -March 22, 2010, 3:06PM

I different book please!

Angela Marie -March 22, 2010, 3:10PM

Grante the novel is wonderful and very relatable (to teen especially) Those who would like to read and reread “Perks” should go ahead and read it because it is suppose to be an easy read. I say we should decide on a novel that is challenging for the majority of us so we can discuss and really get involved with the story, writing, and the overall message. One novel I highly suggest is Nicole Krauss’ “The History of Love.”

Julia Clare -March 22, 2010, 3:41PM

Guys, please. If you have read and don’t want to re-read it, think it sounds boring, or whatever — sit this book club out! really, I mean, if you feel that strongly about the whole situation…just skip this book club participation, read some other book on your own, and come to the next vote with a good book ready to suggest. Simple! Please stop all the infighting!

Sarah -March 22, 2010, 4:01PM

Is “The Perks of Being a Wallflower” then the book of choice? If you ask for opinions, people will give them.

fp julia -March 22, 2010, 4:07PM

hi everyone…thanks for the feedback. we have not made a decision yet, but will soon!

chelsea -March 22, 2010, 4:22PM

I like the Perks of Being a Wallflower, but it is really young adult reading, and I think it’s a little immature for the Free People audience. Those who want to read it can read it outside the book club. A recent book I enjoyed and that you may want to consider is Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen

kylie -March 22, 2010, 4:34PM

I absolutely loved “Perks” when I read it in high school. I agree with most of the other girls in that it is more of a young adult book. Plus, I think a lot of us would love to read something new! You should consider reposting the book club poll and see what the results are. Best of luck with choosing!

kat -March 22, 2010, 4:51PM

i read perks a couple years ago, but remember enjoying the book. yes, the protagonist is in high school and it is an easy read. however, this doesn’t mean that it doesn’t involve more serious themes. I also find that when i re-read young adult or even picture books again, i pick up on different messages i wasn’t able to understand at a previous point in my life.

i don’t feel strongly either way, but maybe i can propose a suggestion to satisfy both crowds. seeing that perks is an ‘easier’ read, perhaps this session of the book club could be shorter? that way some can enjoy perks while those who refrain won’t be bookclub-less for long!

Annie -March 22, 2010, 5:06PM

If you are wondering about another book to read, I’m just starting this great book, A Passage to India by E.M Forster. He is really great at describing his surroundings and so far it’s pretty good. You might be interested because I know how Free People gets some inspiration from India which is where it takes place.

anonymous -March 22, 2010, 5:36PM

why don’t we do a dual book reading kind of thing? you know… like whoever wants to read it can and everyone else can choose a different book. you could have two separate discussions and that way everyone is happy =)

sherry -March 22, 2010, 5:51PM

i don’t even understand why it’s being reconsidered…it won. fair and square. regardless of the feelings of the people who voted against it, they clearly were not in the majority. i don’t think this method of deciding is particularly fair. for the record, i voted for another book, but it makes no sense at all to void a vote just because some people were particularly annoyed their choice didn’t win. votes just shouldn’t work that way, and if this was done every time someone didn’t like the results of a vote on here, nothing would ever be accomplished. i don’t understand how someone can be so vehemently against a book club selection that they feel entitled to ask that the results of a fair vote be thrown out because of their wishes. if you don’t like it, don’t read it, and wait for the next book club. simple as that.

belle -March 22, 2010, 6:07PM

I love that book and wouldn’t mind reading it again even if I’m older now, maybe I’ll understand/feel different about some events now. I’m up for it.

Brianna -March 22, 2010, 6:30PM

I would not mind reading it but i defiantely second the history of love!

Kate -March 22, 2010, 7:31PM

I’ll read it!

Rachel Elizabeth -March 22, 2010, 7:53PM

I have already read the book and I really enjoyed it!! so I would rather read something else because I had already read On the Road too, so have not been able to participate in any of the book yet

madgie -March 22, 2010, 8:04PM

Definitely read the book!!! Wonderfl read. Very easy adn simple, bt it definitely sucks you in. It’s a book you won’t be able to put down. I think I ended up finishing the book in three hours during classes. I’m an avid reader and i loved this book.

eva -March 22, 2010, 8:16PM

I’ve never read it, but I’m not against it. I like Kat’s idea of a shorter session, though, as it does seem like a quick read.

nicole -March 22, 2010, 8:26PM

I think it would be good to suggest more! It isn’t like people still can’t read the book, but some of us are actually looking for something we haven’t read or haven’t really heard about ..doesn’t matter how old or new it is :)

Morgan -March 22, 2010, 8:42PM

Personally, I think The Perks of Being a Wallflower is a wonderful book in so many different ways. And those who haven’t read it should definitely add it to their list!

Anonymous -March 22, 2010, 9:32PM

I found it moving. I read it when I was 15 though, but I feel books that you loved then, you will probably love now too.

sarah -March 23, 2010, 9:51AM

perks is overrated, why resist the discovery of something new and amazing?

heyjenrenee -March 23, 2010, 7:31PM

i’ll read it!

bri -March 23, 2010, 9:01PM

everyone has read that book, along with the last book picked, on the road
find a book that not too many people have even heard of.
ever heard of THE PEOPLE OF PAPER? its amazing and has gotten barely any recognition. help some nobody-author get discovered!

Ashley -March 23, 2010, 9:55PM

Yes! read read read it!

mia -March 23, 2010, 11:07PM

Perks is a great story and I also agree that a more “classic” version would be Catcher in the Rye. If these fail…i really really recommend Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer. It is absolutely fantastic and will not cease to amaze. Seriously consider that read! you won’t regret it. Actually his other novel, Everything is Illuminated, would be an excellent choice as well. Check these out! :)

Christine -March 24, 2010, 11:39AM

Read On Chesil Beach by Ian McEwan. You will not be disappointed and it will be a good discussion.

shayna -March 25, 2010, 10:26PM

I’ll read it, I’ve never read it before, great pick!!