wednes-diy

Post image for wednes-diy

at first glance, these look like really pretty ceramic vases, right? take a closer look…

these vases are crafted by german artist markus linnenbrink out of recycled objects (recognize that gatorade bottle now?) and colorful resins.

bottles

you can buy these pieces at artware editions in manhattan. but i’m wondering how hard this would be to do yourself? i mean mine probably wouldn’t look as pretty as his, but still…it seems doable, right? you can buy natural resins online or at art supply stores, and mix them with oil paints to get a glossy finish like these. there are probably lots of other cool ways to decorate them though – if you think of any other ideas let me know!

Tags: , , , ,

Comments

Laura -March 10, 2010, 12:27PM

Yes, we need to figure out how to do this at home. They’re so rad looking!! I’d buy more flowers if I had these around my space. ^_^

Cresta -March 10, 2010, 12:36PM

It’s a cool idea and I’m all about recycling, but I’m not sure why it is posted under DIY Wednesday when your not providing instructions for a Do It Yourself project. Am I missing something here?

fp julia -March 10, 2010, 1:13PM

hi cresta – sometimes the DIY posts are more general ideas, without instructions, with the purpose of inspiring other similar projects. for these vases, the artist just used recycled bottles and painted them with colorful resins. but i’m sure there are plenty of other ways you could decorate plastic bottles to make them look really cool! i added a sentence above to make it more clear. sorry!

Krystee -March 11, 2010, 1:10PM

A great way to mix it up a bit could be to get clear ot transulent tinted resins in different colors so you can see through them and add fun things like sea shells, fake flowers,glitter, or any other kind of fun recycled things. if you pour the resin in incriments letting lower layers firm up a bit youll be able to get a floating effect so not everything just sinks to the bottom.

Artware Editions -March 11, 2010, 1:34PM

Hello!

Thanks so much for featuring one of our editions by the artist Markus Linnenbrink! These unique works can be purchased by contacting our gallery in NYC (www.artwareeditions.com), but I am more than happy to tell your readers how they were fabricated. The process isn’t that complicated — it’s more a matter of having all the materials at hand (particularly the pigment and resin; I’m sure people have plenty recycled plastic bottles around!).

Thanks again!
Jon Tomlinson
Artware Editions, NYC

Heather B -March 11, 2010, 4:10PM

When I saw this I was first inspired to make candles with different layers of colored wax! Thanks for the idea :)

Katelyn -April 26, 2011, 11:33AM

I’m currently a high school cermic student and I absolulty love these pieces. I was wondering if anyone know the steps to create them and where i can buy the materials needed for them. Thanks