just kids – part one

Post image for just kids – part one

whenever i read a book i do so with pen in hand so i can underline certain lines or passages that are meaningful to me, and i dog-ear the corners of the pages so i can come back and find them.  with this book i may as well dog-ear every page, it is so full of inspiration.  here are some quotes that jumped out at me from the first couple of chapters – in which patti smith briefly describes her childhood and eventual decision to go to new york with only enough money for a one-way ticket and a few items (notebook, pencils, a book, and a few articles of clothing and photos) in her suitcase, leading to her meeting with robert mapplethorpe that can only be described as fate.

“what is the soul? what color is it? i suspected my soul, being mischievous, might slip away while i was dreaming and fail to return.  i did my best not to fall asleep, to keep it inside of me where it belonged.”

“but secretly i knew i had been transformed, moved by the revelation that human beings create art, that to be an artist was to see what others could not.”

tumblr_la9csmEqHh1qduq95o1_500

“one by one they noted in my reports that i daydreamed far too much, was always somewhere else.”

tumblr_ldsfrrvpfO1qzt8yio1_500

“his young eyes stored away each play of light, the sparkle of a jewel, the rich dressing of an altar, the burnish of a gold-toned saxophone or a field of blue stars.  he was gracious and shy with a precise nature. he contained, even at an early age, a stirring and the desire to stir.”

2zrgwmd

“oh, take their picture, said the woman to her bemused husband, i think they’re artists. oh, go on, he shrugged. they’re just kids.”

1zyfr52
“we hadn’t the money to go anywhere, had no television, telephone, or radio. we had our record player, though, and drew back the arm so a chosen record would play over and over as we slept.”

tumblr_lf00qfyDah1qbkepyo1_500

“one cannot imagine the mutual happiness we felt when we sat and drew together. we would get lost for hours. his ability to concentrate for long periods of time infected me, and i learned by his example, working side by side.”

sg1hxi

“i wish i could just project everything on the paper. by the time i’m halfway through i’m already on to something else.”

what do you guys think of the book so far? i don’t want to put it down! leave your thoughts below!

click on images for sources.

Tags: , , , , , ,

Comments

easton -January 17, 2011, 2:48PM

I love everything about thesse quotes! im heading to the bookstore to buy it today! :)

KnottyDreadHead -January 17, 2011, 2:49PM

I just finished the book. I am a nanny, and since its MLK day, i’m at work. I was silently crying with every last word i read. It was one of the most meaningful books i have ever read, and i will always cherish Patti’s book, and the beautiful love and devotion she had towards Robert.

elizabeth -January 17, 2011, 3:44PM

you have inspired me to head to the book store cause i have to know what else is in this book. and love the pics like always

sara -January 17, 2011, 3:51PM

this book sounds amazing
and the pictures are amazing too, as always.

Tiffany -January 17, 2011, 4:27PM

I will have to read this book

XOXO,

Jasmine -January 17, 2011, 6:37PM

I’ve been wanting to buy this book for weeks now!

elena -January 17, 2011, 6:41PM

i bought it after i saw it on here and its really good very deep and ful of true emotions i love it, im not done reading it but i will sure finish it

Kate -January 17, 2011, 7:13PM

“whenever i read a book i do so with pen in hand so i can underline certain lines or passages that are meaningful to me, and i dog-ear the corners of the pages so i can come back and find them.”

haha by the first few pages, I had to grab a pencil! I’ve been dog-earing as well!

I’m so absorbed into the book. I usually read books in a rush just to finish them so I can achieve a big payoff at the end. I don’t want this book to be over so I’m taking it slow. I see myself a lot in this book. I love how she’s not apologetic about being a romantic.

Sophie Isobel -January 18, 2011, 4:28AM

I need this book! Just beautiful, I someone feel truly connected to that last quote.
Sophie x

brittany -January 18, 2011, 9:04AM

loving this book. i keep on re reading the bit on page 53 about the gypsy and the fool, “one creating silence; one listening closely to the silence.”

Lauren S -January 18, 2011, 11:13AM

“that to be an artist was to see what others could not.”
Wow, I love that! I think I need to go pick up this book…

Tina -January 18, 2011, 11:46AM

I’ve got to get my hands on this book, sounds amazing!

sk -January 18, 2011, 12:41PM

This book is amazing! I started it over the weekend and can’t wait to go home and read more. I love the quotes you used for this post:)

amanda -January 18, 2011, 3:39PM

so funny. i did a post on my blog about this book just the other day. says almost the same things too. that book, obviously, is undeniably inspiring!!

Emma -January 18, 2011, 3:47PM

This book sounds great, and the photos you posted with the quotes are great. I need to go out and get this book NOW.

Audrey -January 18, 2011, 5:05PM

I cant get any copies! At the library near me all three of the copies are lent out and I’m thirteenth on the waiting list. =(

amaire -January 18, 2011, 9:34PM

AMAZING. I am absolutely in love with it. i’m almost done. i cant put it down. It makes me want to travel and surround myself with such inspiring people. Set your mind to anything and it can happen. here Patti proves that. AMBITION.

Meg -January 18, 2011, 11:53PM

I just bought this book along with a stack of others. I’m currently reading Decoded but Just Kids is next on the list and reading this just makes me so excited to read it. Patti Smith is such an inspiration, I cannot wait to see what else her story unfolds.

Caley -January 23, 2011, 5:06PM

Just went to the bookstore to get it. Can’t wait to settle down tonight and start reading!

Emily fitzhugh -January 27, 2011, 10:53AM

My mother is reading that book for her book club. She keeps calling me to read me lines from the book. I googled one of the quotes and up comes your blog. What a lovely way to happen upon such a wonderful blog. I look forward to following your posts… thank you for sharing the wonder that is Patti Smith.

softstars -January 31, 2011, 1:07AM

Thank you..really informative!!

Mia -February 23, 2013, 5:27PM

By far my favorite book I have ever read! It is one worth keeping on the shelf.