just kids: part four

Post image for just kids: part four

i finished just kids somewhere over the midwest, during my flight to san francisco. if you’re familiar with the story or with robert mapplethorpe, you know that it is not the happiest of endings, but instead of leaving me with teary eyes and an empty pit in my stomach, i felt hopeful and inspired.

to me this book was not about what patti and robert went through or the careers they found success in, it was about their relationship. two people who could only be described as soulmates, who found each other and through each other, found what they were meant to do with their lives. and while their paths split and they went in different directions, they were still joined at the heart.

it reminded me very much of the quote I posted a few weeks ago:
“a true soul mate is probably the most important person you’ll ever meet, because they tear down your walls and smack you awake. but to live with a soul mate forever? nah. too painful. soul mates, they come into your life just to reveal another layer of yourself to you, and then leave. a soul mate’s purpose is to shake you up, tear apart your ego a little bit, show you your obstacles and addictions, break your heart open so new light can get in, and make you so desperate and out of control that you have to transform your life.”

tumblr_lgbbieP0fE1qduq95o1_500

tumblr_lgd5q9V01c1qzv83io1_500ruradelia

tumblr_lcroxs897R1qbnex9o1_500

moonstar

tumblr_lf0yy04fSl1qa7bilo1_500

i would love to hear your thoughts on the book… please leave them below! also feel free to leave suggestions for our next book :)

click on images for sources.

Tags: , , , , , ,

Comments

leilani -February 21, 2011, 3:40PM

Try Waiting for Bardot, by Andy Martin – SO brilliant, and wonderfully weird!
Or better yet Monkey Beach by Eden Robinson for some amazing Canadian Lit greatness. Incredibly intense.

ashton -February 21, 2011, 8:40PM

I am about 75% done with the book. It’s so beautiful and rather moving. Poetry.

“I believed he would once again embrace the knowledge that there is no pure evil, nor pure good, only purity.” <3

Anonymous -February 21, 2011, 9:14PM

Right now I feel as if I am living through the quote listed above and loved your orginal and new post on the topic. Definitly rings true in my life and thanks for sharing!

calla -February 22, 2011, 8:35AM

first picture is adorable. love the last photo too.

Lula -February 22, 2011, 10:18AM

Hi from Spain! After reading Just Kids my indifference for Patti Smith grew into admiration and respect. What a great woman who´s always been true to herself. Fortunately, there are still people like Patti in this phoney world.
Thank you also for this amazing blog. You are so inspirational! I particularly liked the scarf as turban tutorial.
Peace and Love!!

Ruby -February 22, 2011, 11:01AM

I love Free People so much. But i do believe soulmates are meant to be together forever. I guess that’s what I always thought a soulmate was. Someone who kept on being there for you forever, and you there for them. A love that held you together and never died.

Danielle -February 22, 2011, 6:00PM

I love the pictures and the quote most of all. That quote is from Eat, Pray, Love. It’s great.

shineorset -February 22, 2011, 11:08PM

So excited to devour this book whole. I always read the blog posts about it while working at the Scottsdale store. Looks incredibly intriguing.

Anonymous -February 23, 2011, 9:23PM

i couldnt put the book down once i started reading it. i thought it was great overall and i cant stop thinking about it. in the beginning when patti talks about her and robert surviving on nothing but each other and their artwork was my favorite part.

alexandra -February 24, 2011, 9:40AM

Thank you so much for recommending this book. I just finished it last night and was blown away by the sincerity and emotion that Patti Smith evoked. I really couldn’t find the strength to hold back the tears when it came towards the end. I look forward to your next book of the month recommendation! :]

Annoyed -February 27, 2011, 2:22AM

This photo (boy and girl with their heads down, incase the html doesn’t work) is by Megan Leonard. There is no credit given on the tumblr link, so I shall do it here. Also it’s originally in color. Thank you.

cassondra -April 16, 2011, 4:42PM

I just finished.Crying the happiest of tears. Thank you for recommending this book.