Here’s a delish breakfast for those of you in search of a good way to surprise your mom for mothers day. If you missed breakfast, well, who doesn’t like brupper (breakfast for supper)? Either way, she’ll think you’re the best kid in the entire world.
Ingredients (makes 8 six inch waffles):
2 cups almond milk (vanilla or plain), or any non-dairy milk
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
2 cups whole wheat pastry flour (all purpose works, too)
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons ground flax seeds
1/2 cup water
3 tablespoons olive oil
3 tablespoons pure maple syrup
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 cup sliced bananas
1 cup sliced almonds
2 cups greek yogurt (can leave out the yogurt or use non-dairy yogurt if you want to leave the breakfast entirely vegan)
- Combine almond milk and apple cider vinegar, set aside to curdle.
- Combine flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt in a large bowl.
- Add the flax seeds to milk mixture and mix vigorously until frothy (approx. 30sec-1min)
- Add milk mixture, water, olive oil, maple syrup, vanilla, and half of the bananas to flour mixture. Mix with a wooden spoon until mostly combined then fold in half of the almonds until all ingredients are moistened.
- Preheat waffle iron and let the batter rest. Cook according to waffle iron directions. Be sure to spray waffle iron with oil or cooking spray between each waffle.
- Garnish with extra bananas, almonds, and a spoonful of yogurt. (as an idea, drizzle the whole thing with honey instead of maple syrup, it’s so good!)