ever since i first heard about the site the burning house i’ve been completely fascinated with it. it’s based on this simple premise: if your house was burning down, what would you take with you? sure, it’s not a pleasant thought but it’s a really interesting way of seeing what possessions are most valuable to people. when i was growing up, this was my biggest fear- i would literally lie in bed thinking up a plan for what i would grab on my way out of the house (usually our cat).
the photos are beautiful and often quite touching.
to see more and read about the items these people pick, check out the site here.
so i was inspired to pull together my “burning house” items and it was really difficult but here’s what i came up with:
1. favorite hoodie that was my mom’s from back in the 70s
2. buddha that i inherited from my dad’s collection
3. my huge photo album that encompasses high school through college and is full of amazing memories
4. stack of vintage postcards
5. journal from my road trip a few years ago
6. favorite book
7. photo of my mom and her ring that rarely leaves my finger
8. favorite record of all time- an original copy of the white album that i found at a thrift store in ocean beach san diego
9. vintage film canister and loupe from my dad’s childhood darkroom
10. good luck charms: friendship bracelets, lucky lighter and case, handmade necklace with charms, pocket knife and little stone and turquoise frog that probably has more sentimental value than anything else in this photo.
what would you guys grab first on the way out of the burning house?