the burning house

Post image for the burning house

ever since i first heard about the site the burning house i’ve been completely fascinated with it. it’s based on this simple premise: if your house was burning down, what would you take with you? sure, it’s not a pleasant thought but it’s a really interesting way of seeing what possessions are most valuable to people. when i was growing up, this was my biggest fear- i would literally lie in bed thinking up a plan for what i would grab on my way out of the house (usually our cat).

the photos are beautiful and often quite touching.

Jordan-Brown-the-burning-house

burninghouse-2

BURNING-HOUSE-KATE-MCAULEY

burninghouse2

lucamairini-the-burning-house

Tara-OBrady-the-burning-house

for-foster-the-burning-house

chrisburninghouse

to see more and read about the items these people pick, check out the site here.

so i was inspired to pull together my “burning house” items and it was really difficult but here’s what i came up with:

IMG_6952

1. favorite hoodie that was my mom’s from back in the 70s
2. buddha that i inherited from my dad’s collection
3. my huge photo album that encompasses high school through college and is full of amazing memories
4. stack of vintage postcards
5. journal from my road trip a few years ago
6. favorite book
7. photo of my mom and her ring that rarely leaves my finger
8. favorite record of all time- an original copy of the white album that i found at a thrift store in ocean beach san diego
9. vintage film canister and loupe from my dad’s childhood darkroom
10. good luck charms: friendship bracelets, lucky lighter and case, handmade necklace with charms, pocket knife and little stone and turquoise frog that probably has more sentimental value than anything else in this photo.

IMG_6958

what would you guys grab first on the way out of the burning house?

Tags: , , , ,

Comments

Anonymous -May 25, 2011, 4:11PM

Such an amazing concept, it really got my thinking about what my items would be.

Zoe

Rhys -May 25, 2011, 5:01PM

I love this concept…. I had a great drawing professor this semester, and for our final critique he made us pick the one drawing we would rescue if the building were burning.

Taylor -May 25, 2011, 5:57PM

My puppies, as many photos as I could carry, my plants, my old britney spears cds and concert booklet, laptop, ipod, phone, 2 blankets from when I was little (one my grandmother made), journal & drawings, my monkey beanie baby, leather bracelet from italy that was my cousin’s. :)
This is a really neat thought!

Anonymous -May 26, 2011, 1:52AM

My dogs, my purse (wallet, phone,car keys), my jewelry box (has various sentimental pieces as well as my husband and I’s passports/various other important documents), my flute…that’s it really! I’m surprised my list is so short as I’m such a horrible over-packer, but really, as I think about it, few things in my apartment seem all that irreplaceable. This is an interesting concept!

1129design -May 26, 2011, 8:05AM

wow, thank you, I love this project!!! I’m a collector of (almost) everything and have tons of things… will be a very difficult decision… For sure I will save my cats, the old printed photos and negatives, my first olympus camera ant the old polaroid, the airport external discs & macbook, my engagement ring, my dad’s watch and a gold snake necklaces that was my mam’s, the painting my girl friends gave me for my 40 birthday and all the books I can carry :) peace&love nicoletta
my blog is: http://www.1129.it/blog/

Anonymous -May 26, 2011, 8:18AM

my puppy<3

the lovely harbour -May 26, 2011, 11:10AM

Thanks for sharing these amazing photos! I love this collection of images – what a novel idea too, how creative! I agree with several of these people on what I would grab if in a burning house.

Jenifer -February 7, 2013, 9:38PM

I only surround myself with beautiful mementos. My whole entire room is full of treasures that I can’t let go of. Things that have no meaning or purpose in my life or left on the curb. Everything that I have is given to me from people I love or things that have symbolism in my life. I think the most valuable of them all would be my pets, my hat box full of memories, my art supplies, jewelry, Photo albums and memory books I’ve made, a jewelry box my deceased papa made for my mom when she was 2 years old.