Guest Post from Tolly of Austin Eavesdropper!

Post image for Guest Post from Tolly of Austin Eavesdropper!

another guest post from one of our austin friends, tolly of the blog austin eavesdropper! tolly is awesome and i wish we had more time to hang out with her in austin, she’s so much fun :)

The 5 Things I Love About Austin, Texas

By Tolly Moseley

Free spirits. Hippie maidens. Band groupies and mustache-wearing gents. These are our kin here in Austin, Texas, where Free People came to play recently.

When I found out that Austin band The Happen-Ins would be the stars of Free People’s July 2011 catalogue, and that they’d be shooting at some of our favorite clubs in town, I squealed in delight. Where better to celebrate the delicious lazy days of summer than in Austin, a city where even the suited CEO’s loosen their ties for a rock concert? Where you can take your lunch break at a swimming hole, or bust out vintage cowboy boots regardless of seasonality or dress code?

I had an awesome time meeting the Free People girls when they came to town for The Happen-Ins show, and wanted to show them everything there was to see here in Austin. I also want to show you. Here are my 5 favorite things about my beloved city, a place I hope you get to visit sometime:

1. Even when we’re fancy, we’re a little hippie.

It’s true. We can’t resist vintage. The entire zip code of 78704 in South Austin has been officially zoned for the selling of hip, recycled clothing. I’m kidding. But the great thing about Austin is that we never see an occasion NOT to rock a gently used frock, be it SXSW or a gala. So if you’re ever here and have a hankering for vintage, check out some of my faves: Feathers Boutique (for boots), Laced with Romance (for dresses), or tweet my girls Homebody Vintage for accessories/home stuff.

2. We like to play dress up.

FreePeople5

Austinites love a good dress-up party. That’s me above, dressed as David Bowie. Isn’t the resemblance striking?

3. We make things.

FreePeople6

DIY is huge here. That applies to crafts, food, and even businesses. I wish I could tell you I knit-tagged that whole car above … but I didn’t, it’s the handiwork of Knitta Please, one of our local craft artists. You’ll find her knit-tagged objects scattered about all over Austin, from parking meters to statues, and they reflect how much we adore handmade – not to mention the creative spirits behind it.

4. We can’t get enough live music – ever.

austin-eavesdropper

In terms of survival, music is second only to air. For Austinites, I mean. We’re the city who invented Austin City Limits (the show and the music festival), Spoon, Stevie Ray Vaughn, and of course The Happen-Ins! Stroll down Red River at night, by The Mohawk, Club DeVille, Stubb’s, Emo’s … and your ears will fill with honest-to-goodness rock n’ roll, screaming guitars and pounding drums. This city is a music-lover’s dream, and if you’re ever here, chances are a friend of a friend of a friend is playing the same nights you’re in town. If we’re not a musician ourselves, we’re probably dating one.

5. We welcome visitors and vagabonds with open arms.

FreePeople13

FreePeople4

I have a personal belief that Austin chooses people, and if you’re reading this post, chances are she’s chosen you, too. You can find me here, and if you ever venture down to Texas for a visit, I’d love to show you around. We’ll bask at Barton Springs Pool, eat tofu and/or bacon (we are equally enthusiastic about both), and find multiple excuses to play dress up.

All photos by Tolly except for last one (Austin Motel sign) which is courtesy of Ellen Jo Roberts.

Tags: , , , , , , ,

Comments

Kelly -July 18, 2011, 3:23PM

Ahh! I want to live in Austin so badly!! I love Tolly’s style and joie de vie!

Sarah F. -July 18, 2011, 3:28PM

TOLLY! Omg!!! I forgot you were doing this! Haha this is so cool … and I love that picture of you as David Bowie. :) Is that Ross? He looks like Michael Scott!

Chelsea -July 18, 2011, 4:03PM

As always, what a great post, Tolly! Love how you describe Austin to non Austinites. Take care!

Lees -July 18, 2011, 4:54PM

Ok this girl is the cutest. I love that knit car she’s posing in front of. Is that a Knitta Please creation?

BohoQueen -July 18, 2011, 11:54PM

What a down-to-earth gal! The whole vibe about Austin is irresistable! From the amazing music, to the style of the locals, to the food, to the hotels/motels, to the recreational activities (Barton Springs Pool). Many thanks to Tolly for this great and inspiring post! xoxo

Tolly -July 19, 2011, 11:30AM

Thank you so much for asking me to do it, Free People! XO, Tolly

Pink Sun Drops -July 19, 2011, 5:45PM

Love it, Tolly! You are right – Austin does choose people, and it’s hold is irresistible. I swear, I wrote that before I saw bohoqueen’s comment above – just goes to show Austin truly is irresistible!

Affordable Insurance -September 20, 2011, 7:45AM

What a great post, Tolly! Love how you describe Austin to non Austinites. Take care!

Anonymous -May 5, 2014, 3:04PM

rrivals cheap tickets easier.To discover these atmosphere flights low-priced tickets as well as quick flying days youre able to contact a reliable travel agent or you can examine the distinct air flights using the web.While you could be overwhelmed via the massive magnitude of air travellers your choice point may narrow that search domain considerably.When you’ve gotten selected more than five and also six atmosphere flights you ought to feel gives you a significant, the following item to work out about is normally their many different fees as well costs that you could encounter.Air flights cheap generally shows that you’ll need to do some the very best solution for a whole lot.Even even if this ” shopping ” can take time you will probably gain an outline about the several price ranges that can be found for various travel market sectors.You might also see all the departure weeks and times which are there for wedding attendents cheap ticket flights.These fecal material information will assist you to choose the best quality airline for the holiday or even business visit.When you’ve gotten found fo you to get discuss flights cheap you simply must see assuming they have any seats available on the days that you’ll want to result in and arrive back home.This is really important to identify as your entire travel plans develop into disrupted should you dont possess correct travel times.Once all of these dates have been completely arranged for the satisfaction you can create your go reservations.You should find the money for these ticket flights providing your usually are completely delighted by the several seating arrangements and take a trip dates that you have got fixed standing on your variety of air flights cheap doesn’t necessarily mean you must be unhappy concerning the price that you’re most likely paying or the days that any air trip is due for.Having negotiated everything just the best way that you’ll want all that must be said will be have a superb time.
Nike Blazer Low All Over The Sky Star Outlet Online – $99.00 : nike outlet stores, nikeu.net

<meta name="keywords" content="Nike Blazer Low All Over The Sky Star Outlet Online 2013 Nike Free Shoes Air Jordan Retro Nike Air Max Nike