Saturday DO

Post image for Saturday DO

DO: keep your wallet closed.

beautifulbreezyeasy1

destinetobeurban

imagesmusicandwords

shaynrawr

nastiastacey

stylesbazaar

captainkalaido

Do you ever have a day where you don’t spend any money? For myself, it’s pretty rare, but when it does happen, I feel so fulfilled. Without money you have to think more. You have to cook for yourself, make your own coffee, and enjoy the people around you.

It’s not realistic to do every day, but for today, don’t spend a cent. You’ll notice those areas in life where you are spending frivolously, and you can learn from it to make some small changes in your daily habits. Perhaps you start bringing your lunch to work 3 days a week? Or, you ride your bike instead of taking the subway on weekends? In the long run, those few dollars saved will help you buy that big ticket item you’ve been dreaming about…wouldn’t you rather have that than a store-bought hoagie?

Comments

Monique -July 23, 2011, 10:01AM

Yes, this is such an inspiring post. I often bring leftovers to lunch but end up buying lots of drinks throughout the day. I do plan to sell my car in exchange for a fancy pants camera and will be cycling to work. Lovely post and very realistic we can’t do it everyday but if we put a bit more effort we’d have a bit more for ourselves.

Taylor -July 23, 2011, 11:12AM

I will try this tomorrow and make it a Sunday-Do haha
Another thing to try, is look where the things you buy are from…few things are made in the US anymore, but I heard from my aunt that apparently if everyone bought 3 items that were made in the US, it would create a lot of jobs.
I’m planning on going to the Boardwalk tonight and would like to do my part in boosting our economy ;)

vivi -July 23, 2011, 5:26PM

this is my EVERY saturday to do!
it started for religious reasons but it really is very refreshing not to be plugged into economy once a week. i like to go to the nearest park and walk around and take a snack with me (i’d be there right now if not for the hot sunny weather)

Shirene -July 23, 2011, 5:33PM

I’ve come across many blogs as it’s usually hard for me to keep up with or stay interested in them…But I must say I truly LOVE your blog, it always puts me in a better mood :D

BohoQueen -July 23, 2011, 6:11PM

I love that feeling when I want to buy something that will just end up being a waste of money in the long run, like a pretzel or fro you downtown! It feels like you have control over your actions, and you learn to be happy with what you already have. Great Saturday do! xoxo

Lacey Marie -July 23, 2011, 10:26PM

Kind of funny coming from a blog dedicated to selling very expensive (though very cute) clothing. Jus’ sayin’…

Anonymous -July 26, 2011, 3:29AM

This is ULTRA ironic to read on an FP blog. Your company should try a little less hard to embrace the bohemian culture if it wants to keep marketing “boho” clothes for these sickeningly high prices. We all know you could come down at least $20 on most items and STILL make a killing. Stop fronting. It’s annoying and makes me uncomfortable spending my money somewhere that so obviously posing.

Madi -July 27, 2011, 11:48AM

While I appreciate the message, I have to agree with previous comments that this post high lights freepeople’s hypocrisy in trying to promote a bohemian, free-spirited, nonmaterialistic lifestyle by selling really expensive clothes.

Karen Jones -July 29, 2011, 6:43PM

I think the price of the Fp items are justifiable.. It’s not just some scraggly materials patched together to make a “boho” look but the designers take time and dedicate hard work into creating these pieces. Granted, I do think that the tees and tanks are expensive for their range. But you do get it back in terms of quality and that’s what I most appreciate about Free People. I would rather spend $300 on a free people dress that is probably one of a kind than something from the rack of Bloomingdale’s that probably cost $200 more.

Gwen -August 6, 2011, 10:38AM

How interesting are our differing lifestyles. I don’t spend money more than 1–2 days per week, and that includes for gasoline!

Hilary -August 10, 2011, 5:05AM

I really enjoy this blog, it’s a lot of fun and very inspiring. However, it’s the only part of Free People that I associate with anymore. I’ve always justified FP’s prices one way or another. Better quality, more detail, hand crafted, unique, but recently the prices have become extreme. I can’t even afford a t-shirt anymore. :(