Saturday DO

Post image for Saturday DO

DO: turn off the TV

Last week my roommate and I took a big step. We got rid of cable. At first, the thought of fewer bills was a large weight lifted, and then the panic began to set in. We were going to have to quit old habits cold turkey. No more dressing to its background noise in the morning, mindless tv watching after work, or simple scapegoat procrastination.

Just because there’s no cable doesn’t mean we have to sit there bored, however, and I’m quite proud of how resilient we’ve been in thriving without it. It’s funny, before I was always frustrated with having too little time to get things done. Now, there’s miraculously enough time, and all I had to do was turn off the tv. Life has taken on new facets. When you don’t have tv there to entertain you, you automatically busy yourself with something else. I suggest turning it off today, and exploring some of what I’ve been soaking up since I too did the same:

A CLEAN HOUSE

annettemcpherson

sunkentreasurestuff

cup of jo

FUN CREATIVE ENDEAVORS

studio-sweet-studio1

daydreamlily1

What fun things will you do to fill up the free time?

Click on images for sources

Tags: ,

Comments

carolina -July 9, 2011, 12:33PM

i loooooooooooove your “saturday do”… is so inspirational… and so u know… i try to do what u sugest… i love it… thank´s!! :)

alyssa -July 9, 2011, 1:15PM

i LOVE this saturday do. i can’t remember the last time i had cable in my apartment. and after you go your first couple months without it, you’ll realize life is way to busy to be sitting down watching tv shows with tons of commercials anyways! don’t get me wrong because i do have my favorite tv show or two. i wait for them to come out on dvd and have little watching parties :)
that way its a cute way to get all my friends together for one big cuddly relaxing night in.

go out and live!

Stargirl -July 9, 2011, 2:09PM

Very inspirational(:

Rosa -July 9, 2011, 4:52PM

Blah! humbug, im working. but these look like so much more fun

Taylor -July 9, 2011, 5:03PM

great idea, but not sure I could do it. I don’t watch a lot of tv anyway, but it would still be hard for me to give it up.

Rachel -July 9, 2011, 7:43PM

I haven’t had cable in almost 5 years and I really do not miss it. I do have internet, and Netflix on my Playstation though, so I watch whatever I really want to see on those.

BohoQueen -July 9, 2011, 8:58PM

I used to not have cable as well, and it was so nice to be able to tell everyone that there were other more interesting things to do, like spending time outside. xoxo

leah -July 9, 2011, 11:34PM

i’ve been without cable for about a year. i too, feel like i have more time. which i’m all for…but i often feel out of the loop. i have no idea what’s going on. ever.

April -July 10, 2011, 8:14AM

yepp…no cable is the way to go! we have Netflix instead and just watch an hour or so of TV every now and then…its more controlled. We deff. read more, go outdoors more, and spend more time doing crafts!! love it!

Shirene -July 10, 2011, 5:30PM

Thank you so much for this blog, I found it to be so inspiring and uplifting! :D It reminds me of how I got rid of my Facebook account–two months and counting, and like you said, you find so much free time when you let go of technology…And doesn’t that feel amazing and relaxing? :)

tika -July 11, 2011, 2:17AM

people definitely need to let go of the invisible emotional connection with the tv. a good read, some time outside and moleskins filled to the brim with photos sketches and quotes will definitely make your day brighter.

jenni -July 11, 2011, 9:58AM

aah there are soo much better things to do then watch tv! however, i must admit when i am home alone i have to have some background noise or i go nuts! good opportunity to get into some new music though!! check out the futurebirds from athens georgia– they are one of my new favorite bands! they cover wild heart by stevie nicks <3 one of my favorites.

Brittany -July 11, 2011, 1:51PM

I don’t watch a lot of tv but the kids in elementary school who always made it a point to rub it in everybody’s faces, “I don’t get cable at home” to idk, make everyone else feel bad or seek pity, drove me nuts. But I shouldn’t be criticizing…. they were elementary kids after all.

Amanda -July 11, 2011, 2:02PM

Very inspiring! I often feel that after work I have no time for anything – I’m usually home unwinding – in front of the TV. I’ve already decided to do a nice house cleaning after work today, so I think I’ll keep the TV off this time, I’m sure it will get done a lot faster.

Anonymous -July 13, 2011, 9:05AM

It is not the tv that gets me, its the computer haha. I barely ever watch t.v., aside from watching the occasional movie. Howeber, I used to go on Facebook every day and waste my life away. I am much more fulfilled without it haha :)