Gelato al Bacio

Post image for Gelato al Bacio

With this month’s catalog shot in Venice, I thought I’d give you all a recipe for one of my favorite Italian foods – gelato. This is a recipe that my grandma or aunt will whip up almost every time I visit them in Italy. I never really make it at home, so it’s earned a spot in my heart as one of those special treats I get whenever I visit my favorite place in the whole world. It’s made with hazelnuts and chocolate, like the Italian candy, Baci, from which it gets its name. More familiarly, it has a nutella-like flavoring, but whatever you relate it to, it’s a dream that melts in your mouth. Now that I have a vat of it in my fridge, it’s been really hard to stay away.

Try it out for yourself if you dare =P

Ingredients:

1 Egg

1 1/3 Cups Whole Milk

100 Grams of Dark Chocolate

¾ (generous) Cup of sugar

¾ Cups of ground hazelnuts

1 Tsp Vanilla Extract

Picnik collage1

Directions:

Beat egg, 1 cup of milk, and vanilla extract together in a large bowl.

109

Place sugar, chocolate, 1/3 cup of milk, ¼ cup of hazelnuts into a pot, and place over a low flame. Keep stirring until chocolate is fully melted and sugar is dissolved.

102

Pour melted chocolate mixture into milk/egg mixture, add remaining hazelnuts, and stir vigorously until fully blended together.

Picnik collage2

Pour into a bread pan, and let cool for a bit. Once it has reached room temperature, stick the whole thing in the fridge over night.

118

After a night in the fridge to freeze, it should be ready to serve nde

122

Tags:

Comments

Vitoria @ The Pursuit of Hippieness -August 14, 2011, 12:23PM

I LOVE homemade gelato and ice cream. There’s no comparison! And this recipe looks amazing!

BohoQueen -August 14, 2011, 2:07PM

Everyone always tells me that gelato in Italy can not compare to any gelato in the US (which I still think is delicious!), so I am thinking that I won’t make this, and just wait for the supposedly delicious gelato when I go to Italy next year, but it looks so good! Plus I’m not great at making food! ;) xoxo

Anonymous -August 14, 2011, 4:11PM

I know you guys are in SF right now and it isn’t gelato, but one of the yummiest ice cream places I’ve eaten at is the Bi-Rite Creamery! You should check it out while you’re there for the outside lands festival:)

Taylor -August 15, 2011, 10:15AM

Kathy Lee Gifford is wearing the Floral Lace Fit and Flare Dress right now on the Today show in Pearl Grey :)

c -August 15, 2011, 10:28AM

Is there a FP store in San Fran I will be traveling there on Fri TJust made home stawberry soft serve last nie, may have to surpise hubby with this reciepe thanx

P. -August 15, 2011, 11:46AM

I think I’m hungry now :D
it looks delicious.

Anonymous -August 15, 2011, 1:42PM

Where are the Monday words? Come on FP!

Brittany -August 15, 2011, 3:36PM

How does it freeze in the fridge???

Sandy -August 16, 2011, 2:01PM

That looks absolutely divine! I could totally go for some authentic Italian gelato. It’s been years since I’ve been there but I can remember that on my shoe-string budget, gelato meals were about all I could afford!

Katharina -August 16, 2011, 9:47PM

This sounds so delicious! I’m a serious food lover :D And Newman’s Own makes awesome dark chocolate. Have you tried their orange dark chocolate?

XOXO!