Tunesday: Grace Potter and the Nocturnals

Post image for Tunesday: Grace Potter and the Nocturnals

Well, it’s almost September now. Aside from cooler air, I’ve been looking forward to this month because tons of great bands are set to play in Philadelphia.  I’m really excited to see Grace Potter and the Nocturnals who I’ve listened to for a long time now, but have never gotten the chance to check out live.

Their past record was especially great. Rolling Stone described it as “tilt[ing] from Janis Joplin-esque bluster, to laid-back singer-songwriter soul that recalls a toughened-up Norah Jones.” I couldn’t have said it better. The vocals will be raspy and in-your-face for songs like Medicine Man, and then in numbers like Tiny Light they become much softer and hopeful. Taking you through all different moods and styles, there’s a bit of something for everyone.

adrien broom

A band who definitely knows how to rock out in recordings, and from what I hear, is just as great at doing it live. I can’t wait to check out their concert.

adrueb broom3

Listen to their self-titled album here.

Images by Adrien Broom

Tags: , , , , ,

Comments

Lisa -August 30, 2011, 11:17AM

They’re even better live than their albums! I was absolutely blown away by them at Bonnaroo this past June. You’re gonna have a blast at their show.

marie -August 30, 2011, 12:31PM

Yay Grace!!! Love her!

Anonymous -August 30, 2011, 2:15PM

Love them! They’re from Vermont and a Free People store in Burlington is MUCH needed please!!

ria -August 30, 2011, 2:58PM

when does the september catalog drop????????? cant wait!!!:-)

Taylor -August 30, 2011, 3:27PM

great band! & I love grace potter’s duet with kenny chesney! haha i love country music!

fp naomi -August 30, 2011, 6:05PM

ria – on the 6th!

nettie from vt! -August 30, 2011, 9:18PM

ive been following grace for years. my mom introduced me to her way back. her first albums are real raw and bluesy, definitely check them out. and we can’t forget where she comes from….VT…one of the hardest hit states from irene! we’re resilient and you can hear it in her music. enjoy her show!

shelby -August 30, 2011, 11:27PM

i saw them play a few times in wilmington, nc and they are SO AMAZING LIVE!!!!!! I love apologies… toothbruth & my table (give me back my jeans and my jjcale..) and nothing but the water 1 & 2. .. grace can wail and has such a cool style.. we got to hang out on their tourbus and have a cranberry vodka (wilmington is where they film eastbound & down) and everyone was so nice… you’re in for a real treat!!! xx

Anonymous -August 31, 2011, 2:26AM

i’ve seen them a few times and they are UNBELIEVABLE live,if you thought their cd’s were good wait for this, i will never forget the first time i saw her at mountain jam in upstate ny she was wearing an awesome top hat that i still want to this day! haha have fun and get excited!!

karacter -August 31, 2011, 10:51AM

LOVE grace potter!

Going to see her in Central Park in Sept. cant waittttt

xo Kara

Kelsey -August 31, 2011, 8:42PM

Saw Grace Potter in Denver this summer, one of the best shows I’ve been to! Such high energy and the girl can ROCK! Enjoy :)

moe -August 31, 2011, 11:12PM

I saw them last week in Atlanta. They were so good! I’m even tempted to say that they are BETTER live than on recording!

mel -August 31, 2011, 11:19PM

saw them at bonnaroo this year. amazing! i didn’t know anything about them beforehand. Grace Potter was a killer performer! i was captivated.