Homemade Tomato Sauce

Post image for Homemade Tomato Sauce

As requested, a recipe for delicious, fresh, homemade tomato sauce.

If there’s one thing an Italian child is raised on, it’s tomatoes. Italians are obsessed with tomatoes. I’ve even seen it go as far as a dinner conversation centered around the different kinds of tomatoes and their individuals uses – for a whole hour! Anyways, their obsession led to tomato sauce, which is something I think many of us could not live without. They’ve perfected it into one of the world’s best comfort foods, and it’s also pretty easy to make. I’ve taken tips from various individuals and come up with my own personal recipe. There’s nothing like homemade tomato sauce, so enjoy :)

Ingredients:

1 – 28oz Can of Whole Peeled Tomatoes

1 – 6oz Can of Tomato Paste

2 Extra Large Garlic Cloves (minced)

Approx 10 Basil Leaves (ripped into thirds)

2 Tbsp Olive Oil

1 Tsp Dried Oregano

10 Cherry Tomatoes

½ Cup 2% Milk

Salt and Pepper to taste

Picnik collage

Picnik collage1

Directions:

Place olive oil, garlic, and half of your basil into a sauce pan to sauté

074

Once your garlic is browned, lower the heat as low as it will go, add in tomato paste and whole peeled tomatoes (it’s important to lower the heat A LOT so that it doesn’t explode all over you when you pour in the peeled tomatoes). Sprinkle with oregano, add remaining basil, and stir.

086

Turn the heat up to about a medium flame. Once it starts boiling, lower heat and let simmer for about 25 minutes. Be sure to stir every 5-10minutes.

084

While the tomato sauce is thickening you’ll want to peel the skins off of your cherry tomatoes. After you’ve peeled them, quarter each one.

Picnik collage2

Once the sauce is almost to the desired consistency, put water on to boil for your pasta. As you do this, add the cherry tomatoes into the mixture so they have about 5-10 minutes of simmer time. Once you’re ready to throw in the pasta, turn off the sauce’s burner, and slowly stir in milk. Let sit until pasta is ready.

092

Drizzle over or mix into pasta.

099

Tags: , , , ,

Comments

Andrea -September 11, 2011, 10:43AM

Yum!!

Taylor -September 11, 2011, 7:04PM

Hey FP, I nominated you for the Leibster Award!

mynxie -September 11, 2011, 8:24PM

This pasta sauce recipe is vegetarian. I like that.
I really REEEAAALLLLYY wish that Free People would start to sell VEGAN BOOTS.
Do you know how hard it is to find awesome boots that aren’t made from slices of Flesh?
Since you are affiliated with Free People, please, I beg you, drop a hint! Of course, they would still have to retain the amazing quality standard that you can trust in Free People, but still. Vegan Boots!
(so we can be vegetarians without being hypocrites!)

Anastasia -September 11, 2011, 9:19PM

I just made this for dinner and it was DELICIOUS!!!

sassay -September 11, 2011, 9:53PM

this looks so good! we just made pasta sauce at our house from Cherry tomatoes we grew. My six year old named it PASTA IN THE FUTURE! I am so glad there are delicious tomatoes right now- and we can save them for the winter.

Kori -September 12, 2011, 6:31AM

Oo! I just had ravioli tonight! I wish I would have read this before! http://cabochongirl.blogspot.com/

fp julia -September 12, 2011, 9:14AM

mynxie – check out the vegan docs!!! http://www.freepeople.com/shoes-boots/vegan-docs/ <3

Corina -September 12, 2011, 4:32PM

This looks amazing. It’s very similar to a recipe one of my aunts gave me (sans milk). There’s nothing like homemade pasta sauce. :)

kaleigh -September 13, 2011, 3:25PM

i made this tonight with organic whole wheat pasta, absolutly delicious! thank you for sharing :}