Blogger Diary: California Dreamin’…

Post image for Blogger Diary: California Dreamin’…

“I was trying to daydream, but my mind kept wandering…”

Sometimes I feel like the thoughts in my head fly around at a frenzied pace and the only way to sort them out is to get away for a bit.  Even if it’s not far away, just to get out of the city, and surround myself with new sights, smells and sounds can do the trick.  This weekend I did actually travel though – I went to California for a quick vacation with my sister to catch up with some family and old friends.

California is one of my favorite places in the world – and while I prefer San Francisco, I do love LA.  We stayed at the Standard Hotel in Hollywood – located on Sunset Blvd, it has a really cool modern vibe and great location. We spent our days doing some vintage shopping on Melrose (where I found a pair of perfectly beat-up boots in just my size for a mere $20!), hanging out in Santa Monica – where we even went to the pier for the first time in years, and just lounging by the pool at the hotel, relaxing before a night out.

It was just what I needed before flying back to a cold, snowy (!) Northeast on Saturday.

LA-diary

The Standard Hotel

IMG_9859

standard

LA-diary

Chateau Marmont

IMG_9841

I loved this store Slow – especially its little off-shoot full of vintage treasures called As Is.

LA-diary

slow

LA-diary

wasteland

Another great store – Wasteland – where I got my boots.

LA-diary

Santa Monica Pier

pier

plants

LA-diary

LA-diary

LA-diary

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

Comments

taylor -November 1, 2011, 12:30PM

awwww i do love living in LA. great vintage finds too, i’ll have to go out looking for some myself! anddd that pink/purple house by the beach–i don’t know how many times i’ve seen that house (in photos or in person)! barbie dream beach house!

Ellen @ Black and White and Loved All Over -November 1, 2011, 3:41PM

Great blog post! I love California.. makes me want to go for a visit!

Taylor -November 1, 2011, 6:13PM

I love L.A. Santa Monica is the best! I love how chill everyone is!
I bought one of those little VW Buses on the Pier when I was there last year!
You’re so lucky to have been out there! The snow made it feel more like Christmas than Halloween. Bring back Summer!!

paige -November 1, 2011, 8:55PM

the pictures from the vintage store make me oh so happy!

karissa -November 2, 2011, 8:38PM

This post makes me miss my home so much. southern california. it flows through my veins and influences everything i do. you picked the 2 best stores on melrose! love love love. and the standard hotel is the place where i met my australian boyfriend, and thats the reason why i live 8000 miles away from cali. but i guess he’s worth it! :)

Hayley -November 3, 2011, 2:30AM

It’s so funny, I feel like the light in southern california is different. I grew up there and I’ve never recognized the same light in any other picture of any other place.

Emily -November 3, 2011, 2:46PM

this post makes me miss Los Angeles so much! i love Slow and Wasteland. and i miss palm trees so much!

karen -November 9, 2011, 1:42AM

aw everyones posts below are exactly how i feel about california and this post, and i just got back from visiting san francisco. now i live in las vegas but california is just where it’s at. i’m really excited to the new free people store opening up at the mall i work at on the strip though!