Saturday DO

Post image for Saturday DO

DO: finish what you’ve started instead of thinking what’s next.

dreamstudios2

addictedreader27

deargianinacountmein1

runlikehell3373

askinganimal

In a lot of ways it’s good to be ahead of the curve, always thinking what’s next. But sometimes I find myself looking too far into the future instead of revisiting things that I set out to accomplish in the past.

I mentioned last week how I’m always coming up with plans of action to fix a personal flaw or something that’s troubling me. All too often I find myself focusing on something different two weeks down the road. This week it dawned to me – I need to make it a point to refresh and revisit what I set out to do in the first place.

Say I want to work on being a more eloquent speaker (which for me with my tendency to say “like” and 1,000 words per minute talking speed can be a bit tough), so I decide that I’m going to try and speak more slowly, giving myself more time to think about what I want to say. Two weeks down the line, I want to remind myself that I was making these efforts, and revisit speaking slowly with all of the dedication I had originally.

The best way to really fix something – or really to accomplish anything in general – is to stick with it. If you began painting something last month, don’t start 5 more works before you finish it. Finish it. At least for myself, I think this is a strategy that will help me to feel like I’ve accomplished more and to effectively make changes that I’ve been wanting to make.

click on images for sources

Tags:

Comments

maryannk -December 10, 2011, 11:16AM

Very well said and so true , thanks for reminding me to finish what ya start . I have so many projects I have started and haven’t finished .For the first time I have finally stuck to a project & so far have continued to work on it , and I gave myself a deadline so that I do finish .

Thanks! : )

BrittanyB.G. -December 10, 2011, 11:58AM

I needed to read this today, thank you so much. I have just been thinking how much follow through has been a problem for me for most of my life. I always get side tracked with something else or just slowly let my goal fade away because I can’t keep it constant. But I know continuously working on it a little at a time will ensure I stick with it and knowing I actually followed through will be such an added personal reward. Thanks!

nitta -December 10, 2011, 12:03PM

what camera were these pictures taken with?

Esh -December 11, 2011, 9:17AM

I needed this reminder today. I’ve always threw a “like” in here and there but I think it’s really gotten out of hand now! I also talk a million miles a minute. As a child my dad nicknamed me motor mouth, so yeah. I’m 37 years old (don’t act like it or really know how that’s supposed to feel) so it’s probably time I try to retire some of the “likes” and stop ending every sentence with “do you know what I’m sayin”. Slowing down a bit would be nice too. It’s a misrepresentation of who I am because I actually am very smart and love to listen, but with my constant rambling chatter who could get a word in edge-wise? I’m going to make a goal to start speaking more eloquently today and revisit it in a few weeks and see how I’m coming along. :)

Tamberine -December 12, 2011, 3:33PM

This one is huge for me…my mind is always going and I’m always strategizing instead of actually doing. I really love the Saturday DOs! I need to start remembering to read them on Saturday though!

holly cromer -December 14, 2011, 10:00AM

What an amazing set of photos!