Blogger Diary: Scrubbing Away Winter Blues

Post image for Blogger Diary: Scrubbing Away Winter Blues

Well it’s definitely Winter. While I seem to hold up to the cold better than others (growing up in Syracuse, NY will teach anyone) my skin has been feeling the effects. The fact that I also live in a different part of the city than many of my close friends, has meant that I’ve spent many a night crashing on couches, and not giving my body the care it deserves. The cold of winter can also get a bit depressing for me. It’s tough to get out and about, having to pile on clothes just to do so. Not to mention the limited hours of sun. I find that it’s especially important to step back and take care of yourself at this time of year. Although it did get a lot warmer this weekend, I decided to give my skin a little treat – both for its well being and for my mentality .

While at Whole Foods picking up ingredients for a cooking blogger meet up (stay tuned this weekend for the healthy treats we came up with) I grabbed some Home Health Almond Glow Rose Skin Lotion to make my own body scrub. I love this oil because it combines my two favorite skin benefitting ingredients – almond oil and vitamin E. It also smells like roses which is one of my favorite scents. You can purchase it in other scents if you wish, but I’m a big believer in the power of roses.

I combined 1/3 cup of the Almond Glow Lotion with about one cup of brown sugar and ten drops of lavender essential oil to make the scrub. It’s great because the brown sugar scrubs off the dead dry skin while the oil is deep moisturizing and full of antioxidants to nourish that fresh under layer. After putting the mixture together, I stuck it in a bell jar since it makes enough to last for a few scrubs. I was at a friend’s house when I showered. I knew that if my skin is feeling it, others’ must be too, so I left the extra in her shower as a little treat. My skin feels so great today – baby smooth. I will definitely whip up some more in a few days to use every so often for the remainder of these cold months. There’s nothing like a great nourishing scrub to help you feel good in your own skin and to hold up against the brutalities of winter’s.

IMG_3152

Tags: , , , , , , ,

Comments

Christina -January 9, 2012, 6:35PM

I so need to do this! Living in California… we can still feel the effects of try skin. Time to rejuvenate. Can’t wait to try this. :)

Christina

Bonnie -January 10, 2012, 1:48AM

this is exactly what i needed. i suffer from eczema and lately the weather has been brutal here in Texas. not to mention my stress level due to all the reasons described up there. definitely going to give this a try, thanks for sharing!

Rhonda -January 10, 2012, 3:32AM

are their other places that you can buy the lotion I’m from Massachusetts so the weather here can be brutal I also live in the suburbs where you have to use transportation to get anywhere via the transit system or vehicle (nothing in walking distance)and my skin is naturally dry so this would be great for me.

Sara -January 10, 2012, 6:24AM

sounds so yummy, don’t you know maybe how to mix homemade salt scrub? i prefer mostly that, it romoves the dead cells better

mervelous -January 10, 2012, 7:31AM

Yay! Syracuse in the house! :-)
Thanks Naomi! I will definitely make some of this.

fp naomi -January 10, 2012, 9:31AM

Hey Rhonda, if you follow the link it will take you to Amazon where you can order it online. If you don’t want to order it online, you can probably find it – or something similar – at any natural foods or skincare store. Just look for something with almond oil and vitamin E. Good luck!

And Sara – yes, you can also make scrubs with epsom salts. Use the same ratio of 1/3cup oil to 1cup salts with 8-10drops of essential oil. I also like to grind the salts down a bit more if they’re really chunky. I happened to already have brown sugar in the house and didn’t feel like spending money for the salt which is why I used the sugar. Whichever you prefer – I think that they both work great!