Last week we met up with one of our designers who just happens to be a natural expert at makeup tips – we’re not surprised as she’s always walking around with a lovely groomed face that it often inspires. Here we asked her how she would create a makeup look for Molly our Retro girl
“Molly’s style is effortless from head to toe she is put together in her very own way. She pulls back her hair into a simple ponytail, sweeps a flick of eyeliner across her lids and a stroke of mascara on her lashes… she gives the mirror a girly smile and dabs some cream color on the apples of her cheeks… just enough to look like she’s already had her brisk morning walk to the coffee shop. Just before she runs out the door she grabs one of her favorite pink lipsticks, this always reflects her mood from pepto pink for her more adventurous days to a nude rose lip stain on her more casual days… her ponytail swings from side to side as she starts her Monday…”
(click image for source)
For the Face and Eyes – 5 easy tips on how to achieve the look
1. Start off by putting the primer all around the eye, this will help those lines stay put. You can use your finger or a brush to put on a coat of Nars Abyssinia eye shadow on the lid… with an eye shadow brush gently add the darker tone Blondie into the socket… this will help with the base.
2. Onto the liner… if your confident the best way to get this look is with a brush and gel liner… its much like painting, think of the eye as the crescent of a moon when it is closed and just follow this crescent from the outside edge to the inner eye… follow the natural curve of the eye, it will complement and frame the eyes best. If you’re not so confident, use the same technique in terms of shape but use a pencil, make sure its sharp enough to get a good point at the outside edge. Add a sweep of mascara to the top lashes.
3. Add your base… I really like Nars Sheer glow foundation.
4. Now it’s time to get cheeky… smile your best smile into the mirror then relax it a little to a more coy smile… dab a small amount of Nars Illuminator in Orgasm onto the apples of your cheeks, you can build this until your comfortably blushed, then use a touch of the highlighter Albatross with a small cheek brush and sweep that across the high cheek bones.
5. Finally decide whether you want to be adventurous, rosy or nude and add lipstick… I have a skin colored liner that I use to outline my lips so that the color doesn’t run(nude so I can use it with any colour)… blot, pop your lippy in your bag and away you go!
List of product:
1. Benefit ‘stay don’t stray’ – stay-put primer for concealers and eyeshadows
2. Nars Sheer Glow Foundation… pick color to suit your skin tone, there are 20 shades to pick from
3. Nars illuminator – color is orgasm
4. Nars single matte eye shadows in Abyssinia and Blondie
5. Bobbi Brown Long-wear Gel eye liner in black
6. Nars Blush and Bronzer Trio
7. Bobbi Brown Ultra Fine Eyeliner Brush
8. Makeup Forever Smudge Proof eye pencil in Black
9. Lancome Definicils Mascara in Black
For the lips:
Adventurous: Elizabeth Arden Exceptional Lipstick in Pink Vibrations
Girly: hourglass Aura Sheer Lip Stain in Flush
Everyday nude: Nars Rouge a Levres Pur Mat in Madere
Try it it’s fun!