Spaghetti & meatballs, peanut butter & jelly … kale & eggs? Believe it.
A perfect combination with less fame, kale and eggs are a long lost discovery. Oozing egg yolk mixes into the greens, resulting in a delicate explosion. I like to throw quinoa in for more sustenance, and extra veggies for variety. It’s fast and easy to prepare for week nights, and a special treat on Sunday mornings.
Key in making this dish perfect, are the freshly minced garlic and perfectly fried egg. I whipped this up for a friend recently who I caught gazing over my shoulder as I fried. She’d never actually seen someone fry an egg in oil before. I was a bit baffled, but it dawned on me that others might not know as well. Good egg frying skills are great to have in your inventory, so for those of you who are interested, here is a really great video to pick up some pointers.
Ingredients (serves 4):
1 Head of Kale – Cleaned and chopped
4 Large Eggs
1 Red Pepper – Chopped
1 Large Sweet Onion – Cut into medium wedges
1 Cup Quinoa
2 Cups Water
3 Medium Garlic Cloves – Minced
3 Tbsp Olive Oil
1 Tbsp Truffle Oil
Sea Salt & Pepper
1. Toss quinoa and water into a pot over a medium flame and cover with a lid. Once all water has evaporated, turn off the burner, and set aside with covered lid.
2. While quinoa is cooking, heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a large skillet. Add onions.
3. Once your onions appear translucent, add red pepper, kale, and minced garlic.
4. Drizzle with truffle oil, sprinkle with sea salt and pepper, and then stir.
5. Stirring every few minutes, cook vegetable mixture until kale is fully softened and peppers are cooked.
6. Make plates, starting with a few spoonfuls of quinoa and then pile vegetables on top.
7. Fry eggs one or two at a time. As soon as whites look cooked, and outer rim is just browning, remove from pan, and place on top of the plated food.
8. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.