All About Almonds

Post image for All About Almonds

Almonds are cholesterol free and rich in vitamin E, protein, and magnesium. Not only are they great for you, but they are also versatile, and delicious in their many forms. You’ve probably bought almond milk, almond butter, and almond meal at the grocery store many times if you enjoy eating clean, healthy, vegan food. It can get a bit expensive though, so today I’m going to show you all how to make all three (almond milk, butter and meal) at home using raw almonds bought in bulk. It’s easy, cheap, delicious, healthy, and vegan. :)

First Up: Almond Butter

Ingredients (yields about 2/3 cup):

1 Cup Almonds

Dash of Salt

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350F and spread almonds onto a lightly greased baking sheet. Bake for 15 minutes until lightly roasted and crunchy.

Throw almonds into a food processor, and blend away for about 15 minutes. You should mix between pulsing and continuous processing until the almonds turn into “butter.” You may have to stop a few times and push the mixture down on the sides with a spatula.

Sprinkle with sea salt and blend for another 30 seconds.

Tip: If you want your almond butter to be super smooth, you can throw in a small spoonful of coconut oil while blending.

Second Up: Almond Milk

Ingredients:

Use a ratio of 1 cup almonds: 2 cups water

Dash of vanilla extract

Drizzle of honey for desired sweetness

Cheesecloth

Directions:

Soak almonds in water overnight

Drain almonds, and throw into a blender with the correct amount of water.

Blend until slightly chopped

Spread out cheesecloth over a large bowl, and dump out mixture on top.

Drain the almonds, squeezing to get the maximum amount of liquid

Add a tiny amount of vanilla extract, and stir in honey until it is as sweet as you would like it to be

Third Up: Almond Meal

Ingredients:

Leftover almonds from making almond milk

Directions:

Preheat oven to 300F, and spread your almond mixture out onto a baking sheet

Bake for about 1 hour

Place into the food processor until finely ground

Tags: , , , , , ,

Comments

Tammie -April 22, 2012, 3:18PM

wonderful post on almonds and there many gifts, thank you.

i noticed in your milk recipe that the first line reads:
Use a ratio of 1 cup almond milk: 2 cups water

I think it maybe should read 1 cup almonds, not almond milk
to 2 cups of water.

fp naomi -April 22, 2012, 3:54PM

Tammie – you’re right! sorry for typo!

sweet road -April 22, 2012, 7:20PM

I love making almond milk at home. It’s a lot cheaper and you can make just as much as you need instead of buying a big carton!

Farmer Jane -April 22, 2012, 11:47PM

The best way to imbibe the rich nutrient content of an almond (as all nuts) is to soak them overnight in water. Nuts are seeds…when you imbibe a seed with water it comes to life. Nuts can be very rough on the digestive system…but when soaked they become a living food with enzymes ready and waiting to bring you all the vitamins and minerals in a form you can easier digest. You can then make your milk,roast,butter up,just eat, and still get the most out of the nut with out working so hard for it.

Carol -April 23, 2012, 12:40AM

Love almond milk, no more cows milk for me.

Ada -April 23, 2012, 1:16AM

Thank you so much for this post! This is amazing!!

Megan Jones -May 20, 2012, 3:47AM

My roommate has recently become lactose intolerant and we have been paying out the ear for almond milk instead of cow’s milk for our morning granola. I cannot wait to try the almond milk recipe and start seeing my grocery bill go down! I am also intrigued about the almond butter. I have never had it, but I love almonds so I am sure it will become one of my new favorite snacks!

schaefs -July 3, 2012, 1:06AM

If you’re serious about making almond milk, I would highly recommend investing in an actual almond milk making machine. I found a used one for $50 and it works like a charm. Everything is stainless steel, so I expect it to last quite a while.

My first attempt at making almond milk in my vitamix and straining it with cheesecloth was dispiriting and messy. It was not something I looked forward to and it quickly fell out of my routine. I’ve had the almond milk maker for several months and have made a habit out of using it to make delicious almond milk. It’s quick, clean-up is easy and I’m making milk more consistently!

Dawn -December 28, 2012, 12:45PM

Can you use already roasted and salted almonds for almond butter? I use Whole Foods almonds.