New Orleans, the city of Jazz Fest and Mardi Gras, is home to many stylish ladies with that Free People spirit. We just recently opened our first store in the city at the end of March, located on Magazine Street, and we were so excited that we teamed up with New Orleans Tidbits to find the city’s top style inspiration. Fans submitted photos of their Jazz Fest looks, and this lovely lady, Lana, was picked as our favorite. For winning, we rewarded her with an FP gift card, and Lana got to shopping at the new Free People store. Check out her favorite pieces from the shopping spree & hear why they made her top picks.
- Casablanca Sun Dress: How gorgeous is this? It makes me think of white sands and pina coladas. What’s not to love? All you need is a great pair of colorful espadrilles and bold statement jewelry and you’re set.
- Jeffrey Campbell Sarafina Sandal: Talk about embodying Shera. Somehow these to-the-knee beauties scream tough girl and extreme femininity all at once. How darling would they be with a poofy, mini, a-line skirt or pair of cut-off denim shorts?
- Crochet Monokini: I love this because it makes me nervous. It is sexy, daring, girlie, on trend and 70’s throwback all at once. And how gorgeous would it be as a top, paired with some high waisted bell bottoms or a printed maxi skirt.
- FP ONE Mexico City Skort: These are the sweetest things I’ve ever seen. How dainty and feminine are they? I love the bright orange sherbet color too, perfect for summer. I’d throw these on with my bikini top and a denim button up and be on my way to the boardwalk!
- Ruffle Me Up Mesh Tunic: I can’t get over how lovely this is. It makes me want to sit on the porch swing and drink lemonade. I’d love it as a swim suit cover up or paired over a floral mini dress and those to-die-for sandals listed above!
- Key Biscayne Blouse: I love that this top is slightly sheer and floral all over. Every girl needs a good button down. I’d do a little pattern mixing with this top and find some great polka dot or chevron high waisted shorts to pair it with. Summer wardrobe, done.
- FP ONE Ipanema Embellished Short: These are just stunning. I love how they perfectly embody India without going over the top. Everything about them is right. These would be perfect under the ruffle me up mesh tunic.
- Fitted Mid Calf Dress: The silhouette of this dress is so sleek and demure, and I’m loving the color palette and chevron-esque pattern. I’d pair it with super high chunky heels and a huge statement bag for a night on Frenchman Street listening to New Orleans tunes.
Embroidered Super Skinny: These appeal to the classic side of my style 100%. Every girl needs a good pair of white jeans for the summer, and I love the special touch of the gold embroidery. These would be great with a sheer, oversized, printed top and chunky heels.
Getting to Know Lana
How would you describe your style? I’d say it’s classic with a dash of bohemia. I like playing with proportion, pairing an oversized top with a classic skirt silhouette, that type of thing. I like to be a little bit daring, but not over the top. Check it out for yourself if you like at chaptertwentynine.com.
What is one must have fashion item? I don’t think there’s just one thing. It’s whatever works for you. For me, right now, it’s a great pair of palazzo pants. You can style them so many ways- dress them up or down. Some other must haves of the moment are patterned jeans, maybe a mid-calf hi-low dress, some neon. So many things are hits right now! Work what ya got!
What is the most played album on your iPod right now? This is a tough one… this week probably The Alabama Shakes. They just get in to your soul! I get to hear them live this weekend and I’m so excited!
What is your favorite book? Even tougher! I’m usually always in the middle of at least one book, most of the time I’ve got a few started. My favorites are ones that really make me think though- change me somehow. Some are The Fountainhead, East of Eden, Redeeming Love, The Irresistible Revolution, Tuesdays With Morrie, A Knight Without Armor (a book of poetry by Jewel), The Pillars of the Earth, Devil in the White City, and the entire Harry Potter series (of course!) (I could go on and on for this one… but I’ll leave it at that. Nerds can be stylish too. :) )
Tell us about your dream vacation. I think it would be somewhere remote, like the rainforest, where I could lay in a hammock in the middle of nowhere (with my boo) and listen to nature uninhibited. It would have to be close to a beautiful beach with crystal clear water though. Other than that, I’ve always really wanted to go to Greece and Maine. (yep, Maine! take me there?)
If you could have one superpower what would it be? Oh this question! I don’t know… maybe to be able to take back all the unkind things I’ve said. Or cure cancer. Or end hunger. Or something really selfish like be able to charm people in to giving me clothes for free ;).
If you could be any kind of animal, what would you be? My yorkie, Ella. She has a most enviable life!
Where is your happy place? The back yard at my parents’ house. The back porch overlooks a pond and it’s just really quiet and peaceful. I love going home and sitting out there to read, watch my dad work in the yard, or just sit and think.
What do you love about living in New Orleans? How much room I have?! The city is older than the country that hosts it, and in so many ways it has maintained its cultural integrity. From the architecture to the music to the food, our culture is unique to this city. There hasn’t been much outside influence and that is really special to me. New Orleans is not Bourbon Street, it’s jazz music, creole food, shotgun houses. Of course enjoying life is a huge part of the equation, and there’s never lack of great times to be had. Laissez les bons temps rouler runs deep.
What do you love about Free People? I love how every piece makes you swoon. The brand is like its own little world of whimsy, you can get lost in a dress or beautiful pair of shoes. There’s just something about it that makes you feel, well, free.
Lana also wanted to shout out/thank her lovely boyfriend for taking all the pics, so here he is!