To go along with the theme, we served gluten free cupcakes decorated with constellations at our Astrology Picnic. They’re a fun and fairly easy cupcake to make at home – not to mention sinfully rich and chocolaty for a gluten free option. Here is how to make them yourself.
Cupcakes (makes 24):
1 Cup brewed hot coffee
1 Cup cocoa powder
1 Cup hot water
3 Cups gluten-free all-purpose flour blend
2 Tsp baking soda
1 Tsp baking powder
1 Tsp salt
1 Tsp xanthan gum (Xanthan gum isn’t always readily available, you can substitute 1 teaspoon of honey and 3 heaping tablespoons of applesauce instead)
1 Cup (2 sticks) butter or margarine, softened
2½ Cups sugar
4 large eggs, room temperature
2 Tsp pure vanilla extract
2 oz chopped chocolate (optional)
NOTE: Be sure to check labels on cocoa, baking powder, and vanilla to ensure that they are all gluten-free.
Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting:
1/4 cup butter, softened
8 ounces cream cheese, softened
3 ounces (3 squares) unsweetened chocolate, melted
Dash of salt
3 cups confectioners’ sugar
1/3 cup half-and-half
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 Large Egg Whties
5 Cups Powdered Sugar
Juice from 1 Lemon
- Preheat oven to 350 F
- In a medium bowl, whisk together coffee and cocoa powder. Add hot water and whisk until smooth.
- In a separate bowl, sift together the flour blend, baking soda, baking powder, salt and xanthan gum. (if you don’t have a sifter a good whisking will do) **if you opt out of the xanthan gum be sure to add the applesauce and/or honey to the coffee mixture in step 2.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat margarine and sugar at medium-high speed until light and fluffy, approximately 5 minutes. Lower mixer speed to medium and add eggs, one at a time. Add vanilla and cream well, scraping down the bowl.
- Add half of the dry ingredients to the wet batter, mixing until combined. Add half the cocoa mixture, mixing until combined. Add remaining dry ingredients and cocoa mixture and mix on medium speed until smooth, approximately 2 minutes. Stir in chopped chocolate.
- Spoon batter equally into lined muffin tins. Place in preheated oven and bake for approximately 15-20 minutes or until done. The cake is done when an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool the cake in pans for at least 20 minutes.
Cream Cheese Frosting:
- Cream together the butter and cream cheese.
- Add melted chocolate, salt, sifted confectioners’ sugar, half-and-half, and vanilla.
- Beat until smooth and spreadable.
- Beat all ingredients together until smooth – store in an airtight container.
- Using a butter knife, smooth cream cheese frosting atop cupcakes
- Using a toothpick, dip into the royal frosting, and draw lines
- Dip another toothpick into royal frosting just slightly, and then cover with tiny ball sprinkles, almost like a q-tip.
- Place sprinkles at joints in the constellation
- You can refer to the image below for the constellation signs