What Book Changed Your Life?

Post image for What Book Changed Your Life?

Whenever people tell me about a book that made an impact on their life, it touches my heart so much. Nothing’s more beautiful than reading words that soak into your soul. Reading a book can often be an incredible experience, you get the opportunity to escape to another world and feel the emotions of other people. When you find a book that takes over you and truly captivates you, it’s a magical experience. We went around our home office to find someone who could share an experience of a book they read. Our PR Assistant shares with us a time when she acknowledged that fantasy is just as valid as reality.

Top Image: Source

I think a book that changed my life is The House of the Spirits by Isabel Allende. I first read it when I was in middle school and I’ve read it several times since. The story follows the course of a family across several generations of women – blending fantasy and reality into a magical winding tale. Everything about it is just beautiful: the language, the story, the imagery that comes to mind…”

The House Of Spirits

Source The House of The Spirits By Isabel Allende

“It makes you realize that fantasy is just as valid as reality, whether it is actually “real” to you (because I’m firm believer that anything can be real to anyone so long as their brain thinks it is), or it gives you a better understanding of reality through feeling and imagery. I also love the book because it is about women. Each woman is very different, but they all possess this womanly power that sucks you in as a reader. The connections from woman to woman are so well painted and accurate.

I think when I read The House of the Spirits it was the first time that I really understood both what it was to be a woman and also the power of language and books. I always loved to read, but I’d never before felt so moved by a story’s language and simple beauty. The book helped shape my understanding of the world, and although I could never be as good as Allende, it really influenced me to mess around with the English language myself.”

Do you have book that made an impact on your life?

Tags: ,

Comments

Kelsey -August 13, 2012, 10:10AM

The Alchemist! It made me feel more confident in fate and the fact that each person has their own path, but it is still our duty to follow it to the fullest extent possible.

Kelly -August 13, 2012, 10:31AM

The Little Prince! The simplicity and childlike manner of the book made it a fun, easy read (not to mention that it has pictures..), but the hidden meaning and depth t the story are timeless and inspiring.

fp jemma -August 13, 2012, 11:20AM

Kelsey, I read The Alchemist while at university! I adore that book!!

Bekah -August 13, 2012, 12:32PM

The book “If the Buddha Married” by Charlotte Kasal changed my life. She has several in the series and they are all powerful books. Another wonderful one is “The Gift of Imperfection” by Brene Brown.

Samantha -August 13, 2012, 1:43PM

“Atlas Shrugged” by Ayn Rand.

Jess -August 13, 2012, 1:54PM

“Slaughterhouse-Five” by Kurt Vonnegut, it’s a fantastic, interesting, funny, and insightful book. It parallels the preciousness of life (in it being an anti-war novel) with the learned acceptance for death. The way the novel approaches time is fascinating. Just everything about this book is amazing.

johanna -August 13, 2012, 2:16PM

A book that I think really changed my life is “The Secret Life of Bees”. It’s just amazingly beauiful and heartbreaking…

Dreamer -August 13, 2012, 3:00PM

“Stardust” by Neil Gaiman will forever hold a special place in my heart.

Tammy -August 13, 2012, 3:39PM

Dune

alexxandra -August 13, 2012, 3:43PM

is it odd to day the entire series of harry potter? even in my mid-twenties, i find that story to be one of the greatest tales ever told. i still dream of living in that magical world of beauty and wonder.

Calley -August 13, 2012, 4:07PM

The Celestine Prophecy. : )
I buy lots of copies of it and leave it in random places for people to find. it changed the way i see the world, and really opened my eyes up to the beautiful energies all around us, i truly believe if everyone would read it, the world would be a much more peaceful place.

Stef -August 13, 2012, 4:26PM

As said above, I definitely think the Harry Potter series. They are a great escape from the outside world and anyone from any age can easily identify with the characters… Even though we are muggles!

Ashley -August 13, 2012, 4:42PM

That’s funny. I would actually have to admit that the Harry Potter series has changed my life in a way that it brought back my love for reading. I thank J.K. Rowling for that!
Another good book that i loved was Siddhartha by Hermann Hesse.

Emma -August 13, 2012, 5:48PM

Siddhartha by Herman Hesse is an amazing book and one that certainly changed my outlook on life.
The Kite Runner and A Thousand Splendid Suns both by Khaled Hossein really opened my eyes as well and are definitely worth reading.

Kelsey -August 13, 2012, 6:19PM

My top two are Never Let me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro or Paper Towns by John Green.

Jess -August 13, 2012, 6:45PM

The Prophet by Kahlil Gibran. My dad gave me a copy when I was 10. I still have it and re-read it every year.

Janice -August 13, 2012, 7:22PM

The Fault In Our Stars by John Green is the only book that has ever made me cry. The story, the writing, the characters, simply everything was done to perfection.

Mel -August 13, 2012, 7:27PM

The Bell Jar, by Sylvia Plath and the Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky. I can think of no characters I can identify more with.

Kellie -August 13, 2012, 7:32PM

I’m almost done with The Unbearable Lightness of Being and I find myself sinking deeper into adoration for it after every page. So incredibly beautiful.

Sam -August 13, 2012, 7:48PM

Murakami’s Kafka on the Shore is unbelieveable. I’ll never find another book that will seep into my psyche like that.

Sam -August 13, 2012, 7:51PM

The Fountain Heady by Ayn Rand. It really reiterated the important fact of keeping your integrity with who you are and what you love no matter what circumstance may get in the way.

Khushi -August 13, 2012, 8:18PM

The Picture Of Dorian Gray – Oscar Wilde.

Carmen -August 13, 2012, 8:19PM

Yes, I agree, wonderful book! I read it in high school :)

-Carmen

Julieta -August 13, 2012, 9:38PM

The Perks of being a wallflower by Stephen Chbosky. :)

Michelle -August 13, 2012, 11:06PM

Books have not only change my life, but have saved my life! One of my all time favorites has to be The Dharma Bums by Jack Kerouac! Straight to the soul.

grace -August 13, 2012, 11:13PM

Perks of being a wallflower and catcher in the rye

Vanessa -August 13, 2012, 11:15PM

The Farthest Away Mountain by Lynne Reid Banks; it was one of the first chapter books my sister read to me as a child and I remembering being utterly captivated as this book opened my imagination and made me want to explore. This book is a true treasure for any young girl!

Sarah Jean Jacoby -August 14, 2012, 12:31AM

The Compound Effect by Darren Hardy

chantel -August 14, 2012, 2:03AM

The Holy Bible.
Grace
Forgiveness
Freedom
Eternity
Righteousness
Justice
and above all things
Love c:
The word of the LORD is a two edged sword.
It pierced me in the heart, just as Jesus was pierced for our transgressions.
Amen.

Nicole -August 14, 2012, 3:17AM

The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath. It resonated with me far deeper than I even imagined it would.

Ashley G -August 14, 2012, 8:09AM

“The Mists of Avalon” -Marion Zimmer Bradley

The inate power that every woman holds in the deepest, most sacred part of her being. We love, we fall, we are magical.

fp jemma -August 14, 2012, 9:14AM

Hi Stef and Ashley, Harry Potter also had a huge impact on my life too. It was the first time I ever got into a series of books. I loved the fantasy and stepping foot into a make-believe world for a few hours.

Emma -August 14, 2012, 2:17PM

Oh don’t get me started! There are so many books that I could say have affected me in some way, whether they have changed my views on certain topics or I have felt that I can identify with a character.

My all time favourites -

The Bell Jar
The Book Thief
The Virgin Suicides
The Secret History
The Basic Eight
The End of Mr Y
The Perks of Being a Wallflower

(I could go on!)

x

Georgia -August 14, 2012, 3:03PM

I second The Mists of Avalon. Such a powerful book. Also going to add Into The Wild!

Sydney -August 14, 2012, 5:25PM

Blindness by Jose Saramago. Seriously, if you haven’t read it, you need to. It has one of the beautiful lines in it – “inside us there is something that has no name, that something is what we are” – and it really impacts the reader emotionally. It forces you to think about human nature in general and think about how you as a person would be in a dire situation. It also just makes you reflect on so many things in your life and think beyond yourself. I read the book as a senior in high school four years ago, and it still sticks with me.

Anna -August 14, 2012, 7:48PM

‘Your Voice Inside my Head’ by Emma Forrest.

I identify with the way she writes so much, I sometimes felt like I was reading my own thoughts.

miranda barnes -August 14, 2012, 11:43PM

The Great Gatsby. It started my love for everything Fitzgerald and I don’t know where I’d be in life if my english teacher in school never put it in my hands. Its had such an impact on my life. I fell in love with the story, the characters, the idea of you completely reinventing yourself, all for the one you love. I even have two fitzgerald quote tattoos, one from the great gatsby haha

S -August 14, 2012, 11:49PM

Oh God — ‘A Northern Light’ by Jennifer Donnelly has to be one of my all-time favorites. Her writing style is so incredibly perfect: raw and languid, heartbreaking and evocative. This is one of my favorite paragraphs:

“They leave things behind sometimes, the guests. A crumpled handkerchief. A pearl button that fell off a dress and rolled under a bed. And sometimes they leave other sorts of things. Things you can’t see. A sigh trapped in a corner. Memories tangled in the curtains. A sob fluttering against the windowpane like a bird that flew in and can’t get out. I can feel these things. They dart and crouch and whisper.”

Would definitely recommend it to anyone!

Dominique Zumwalt -August 15, 2012, 1:30AM

Hands down “On The Road” by Jack Kerouac if not “The Dharma Bums”. Anything Kerouac touches is golden.

caitlyn harley -August 17, 2012, 12:11PM

East of Eden. It speaks to me in a way no other work of literature ever has. It is so relatable and helped me to put my own life in perspective. I must have read it 4 times already, and intend on reading it again!

vasare -August 19, 2012, 11:54AM

“Atlas Shrugged” by Ayn Rand really impressed me! :)

Catherine -August 22, 2012, 7:12AM

I agree with so many of these. East of Eden & Atlas shrugged are incredible. I am going to bookmark this and read all the other suggestions.
A book that i am reading at the moment-which is really interesting if you are into yoga/eastern philosophy. I am newbie into yoga but this book has really inspired me and i am recommending it to every one i know. How Yoga Works by Geshe Michael Roach & Christie McNally. It is the story behind yoga and the teachings in a novel form. it is really life-changing!!!

Sylwia -August 22, 2012, 10:45AM

Super Sad True Love Story! Awesome book for our modern times

Mejia -August 24, 2012, 3:52PM

My book of all times “Anna Karenina”. It made me more confident as a woman to search for true love!!

LJ -August 27, 2012, 5:06AM

I adore The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupery

“On ne voit bien qu’avec le coeur. L’essentiel est invisible pour les yeux.”
“One sees clearly only with the heart. What is essential is invisible to the eye.”

DS -September 1, 2012, 6:38PM

“Steppenwolf” by Herman Hesse. Just the idea that being up all night during the holidays and not conforming to most people’s circadian rhythm (I’m a real night owl) could make you a magical person, instead of a freak. I loved that he was an enigma, but inspired those around him. I always try to look for the magic someone hides now, instead of the person they portray.

Susan -September 11, 2012, 7:48PM

My friend plopped a book on my desk at work while I was going through my divorce at 25 years old. It was “The Edible Woman” by Margaret Atwood. My friend said it was exactly what I needed. And boy was she right. To this day, it’s my absolute favorite. Second would be “Don’t Sleep With Your Drummer,” by Jenn Cicero. Awesome book as well!

Lydia -September 12, 2012, 11:12PM

I think “housekeeping” by marillyn Robinson has to be the one. Also, I just wanted to say to all the kerouac fans out there that he was actually a really bad person to idolize. And just a bad type of person in general, no matter how amazing his writing is.

A.Rae -September 27, 2012, 2:40PM

The website I listed with my name is actually a blog that I sometimes write in when a book or an event does touch my soul or change my life. I don’t want to sound cynic but I think Invisible Monsters and Diary by Chuck Palahniuk touched me most. I understand that his themes were extreme and that part of the reason I was so attracted the books was that it kept me thinking, “what? Wait, whoa. WHAT?!”. But he brings up good points about how our generation lives for material things, how intelligence is often underrated and how beauty is usually overrated. I still live a pretty material life, working in retail, but I like to read Palahniuk’s stuff to maintain an inspired perspective.

“All the effort in world won’t matter if you’re not inspired.” -Palahniuk (Diary)

Natalia -October 23, 2012, 1:30AM

The Motorcycle Diaries by Ernesto Guevara . Beautifully written and thought-provoking.

Victoria -October 23, 2012, 1:46AM

The Picture of Dorian Grey

Ottilia -October 23, 2012, 10:35AM

The Perks of being a wallflower by Stephen Chbosky
Harry Potter by J.K Rowling
Narnia by C.S Lewis

Hannah -October 25, 2012, 1:54PM

The Perks of Being a Wallflower. beautiful words.

Tanith -October 28, 2012, 7:16PM

Amazing inspiration for the reading quest!

Deborah Harkness. A history of Witches. xx

Carolina -November 14, 2012, 1:36AM

Milkweed, a novel by Jerry Spinelli, has changed my soul, mind, and body.

Aurelija -November 28, 2012, 12:17PM

The Great Gatsby by Francis Scott Fitzgerald
Smoke Bellew by Jack London
The Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov
etc.
I used to read Paul Coelho a lot but his books are too slight for me now. Now I’m playing with my grey brain cells.