Dip Dye Hair And Why We Love It!

Post image for Dip Dye Hair And Why We Love It!

To coincide with our Wash Shop this week we thought we’d show you some color-washed hairstyles we love lately. Dip dying your hair has been a running trend for quite some time now, and the look has us hooked every time we see it. Dipping strands of your hair into colors gives a magical/fantasy look… like you’ve stepped into a make believe world for a while and had some magic poured on you.My favorite way to do this look is subtly at the ends in pastel tones like pink, baby blue and lilac and I love the idea of having it contrast with colors of the fall, with your favorite knitted sweaters and coats. Hopefully soon we’ll be giving a tutorial on how to create rainbows in your hair.

Images source

dip dye hair

dip dye hair

dip dye hair

dip dye hair

dip dye hair

Check out our Wash Shop here

Other related posts: Rainbow Braid DIYDip Dye Hair DIY

Tags: , , ,

Comments

megan -August 27, 2012, 10:11AM

I dip dyed my red hair pink in January..and if you look very closely you can still see a tiny shade of pink :) it lasts forever…

FP Jemma -August 27, 2012, 10:56AM

Oh wow Megan, i bet it looks great, i love it when it fades a little!

Sophia -August 27, 2012, 1:48PM

I love the rainbow look! I dip dyed my hair purplish pink a few days ago and I love it, but I would love to learn how to do rainbow, especially the washed out look like in your July 2011 catalogue.

sheba -August 27, 2012, 2:18PM

do you actually get your hair colored? what exactly does it entail?

Jesse -August 27, 2012, 2:39PM

I heard you can get the faded look by mixing the dye with conditioner, assuming it is a vegetable dye.

FP Jemma -August 27, 2012, 3:03PM

Hi Sheba, there’s a number of products out there that you can use from permanent colors to temporary, if you have dark hair, it usually involves lightening the strands first so the colors show. If you’re scared to use color you can always try hair chalk to test it out to see if you like it http://www.haircolorchalk.com/

Lula -August 28, 2012, 4:08AM

I suggest you also post about henna.
Love!

A. -August 28, 2012, 7:40AM

Love these, I’ve really been considering doing this to my hair but my ends are already dead!

fp bham -August 28, 2012, 12:53PM

If you are in the area, Free People Birmingham is having a complimentary hair chalking event in honor of Fashion Night Out on September 6th @ 6-8:30pm! Come join us silly! <3

J -August 28, 2012, 3:11PM

What is the best brand(s) of hair color to use for this effect?

Taylor Rae -August 28, 2012, 7:54PM

My girl friends and I did this same effect with neon chalk for Outside Lands Music festival! It worked awesome and washed out really easily.

spooky -September 20, 2012, 8:46PM

I just used Blick, and it looks really good. but more vibrant on the bleached parts. For the hair at the top of this page, I got pretty close to matching the color with Turquoise Green 721, Vermillion 82, and Carmine 52. If I had a yellow as well, and a pinker-red, it would have been closer, but it’s pretty awesome as-is.

Sara -November 1, 2012, 7:20AM

I did this in the summer, I have fairly dark hair so got the bottom inch and a bit bleached to a dark blonde colour, and at the salon that bleached it I got it dip dyed turquoise. That was splat colour, lasted as a dark colour for a week, (3 washes) then a pale green for another week. After that I used directions in flamingo pink, lasted for ages! After 2 weeks it was still pretty bright, and I decided to use it to dye the underneath of my hair pink, without bleaching first. I put the dye in and left it on for 6 hours, then rinsed it out, on my unbleached hair it lasted a week and a half, but the bleached ends were still pink a month and a half later! The dye said 4-8 washes! I ended up having to hide my ends for school. I also tried directions lagoon blue, which lasted about 3 days, so it does vary from colour to colour

britt -November 18, 2012, 7:13PM

do you use the pastels or hair dye?

britt -November 18, 2012, 7:14PM

do u use oil pastels?

Spooky -December 17, 2012, 10:06AM

Don’t use oil pastels, use soft chalk.