What Movie Changed Your Life?

Post image for What Movie Changed Your Life?

Movies can be so influential. Unlike books, a vision is cast in front of you to dive into for an hour, so there’s no room to let your imagination run wild with vision of what the story looks like – it’s right there in front of you. I love how movies make me feel and on a weekend I can sometimes watch 2-3 of them, depending on my mood.

“There are times when… mystery and beauty find you, touch you, haunt you, moments you never forget, questions you never answer…”

I remember a time when I first watched a movie that totally captivated me. Its story, its artistic direction and the vision that was before my eyes got a hold of me like nothing else. That film was Sofia Coppola’s first, the Jeffery Eugenides novel The Virgin Suicides.

the virgin suicides

The movie captures adolescence in the most beautiful form. Although eerie, it grasps me and opens my eyes to the emotional trauma that comes with being a teenager. It can be a rollercoaster; new feelings, new desires, and new beliefs come into your life and you don’t know how to deal with them. Sofia’s artistic direction is soft and heavenly like a dream and at the end you’re left with the thought, “Was that real?!”

Do you have a movie that touched your life?

Check out “What book changed your life?” here

Tags: , ,

Comments

TARA -August 21, 2012, 9:29AM

eternal sunshine of the spotless mind. that movie changed my life. the eye candy, the energy, the story, the love, the avant garde feel. i must have watched it 8 times before it even left the theatres. i was 18 then and it inspired me so much that i chose to write my college essay about it. i had always dreamed of living in new york and to this day i feel the magic of this movie’s inspiration on me and my essay is what got me accepted into a school there. i lived in long island, new york (exactly where the movie takes place) for 7 years and every single second was what my dreams had all been made of. and it all started with a movie.

Emma -August 21, 2012, 9:32AM

Hej,

for me the very first movie that changed my life, and that always be inspiring me was Amélie.
Afterwards there were movies like ‘Donnie Darko’, ‘A Single Man’ and ‘Into The Wild’ that helped me finding and keeping my course in life.

best dissertation writing service -August 21, 2012, 10:35AM

For me the first movie that changed my view on life and death was “La Piovra” or “The Octopus” 1984′ It’s an itallian movie about a police inspector whose life is devoted to fighting the Italian mafia. I really recommend to watch it.

fp jemma -August 21, 2012, 11:08AM

Hi Tara, I love Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless mind too! I love you story above, thanks for sharing!!

Gurley Girl -August 21, 2012, 11:20AM

My movie is The Breakfast Club. The first time I watched it, I was young, and just didn’t understand the main themes in the film. Now as an adult watching it, I realize how deep that movie is – how talented the actors in it are, and how ahead of his time the director John Hughes was.

Courtney -August 21, 2012, 11:23AM

Most Definitely ‘Almost Famous’ a very brilliantly directed movie with an even more wonderful cast

Laura -August 21, 2012, 1:30PM

Sally Mann, What Remains. A documentary, but my grandfather had passed away and I had become afraid of death after that. It completely changed my views on life, removed my fear of death, and changed my work process after that.

I highly recommend it, I am paraphrasing, but Sally says something along the lines of the reason that we are afraid of death is because it’s the moment we lose control over our influence on the world.

Emma -August 21, 2012, 1:55PM

I love ‘How To Make An American Quilt’ – such a good story about love in all its many forms.
Also the film ‘Into The Wild’

MerMer -August 21, 2012, 2:00PM

“Melancholia”. It was probably not the best movie to watch as I was dealing with depression…but Kristen Dunst was so good in that movie, I felt a true connection with the character she portayed. The world is about to end, are you going to snap out of it?

Brooke -August 21, 2012, 2:11PM

Silence of the Lambs! I loved that it showed how evil comes in many forms, it is not just black and white. Hannibal Lector was supposed to be a psychopath, yet he is the most likable character and helps Clarice to catch the truly evil Buffalo Bill. I love when a movie makes you route for a supposedly evil character. By the end you really want Lector to escape so he can go kill the awful Dr. Chilton, or as he says, he is ‘having an old friend for dinner.’ Best last line of a movie!!

Dreamer -August 21, 2012, 3:06PM

The Last Song

Sarah -August 21, 2012, 3:22PM

Now and Then

Danielle -August 21, 2012, 3:47PM

Mary and Max, a Sundance claymation. It reminded me that it was okay to think humans are stupid and okay to not have any friends. I also love the narration.

Kelsey -August 21, 2012, 3:47PM

This would be a great opportunity to use Wayin or Twitpolls.com to ask your followers their opinions. Our technology aggregates all of these votes for you. When asking a question, you can embed a picture, article, or video. Being a HUGE Free People fan, I come across great opportunities for polling on your social media sites all the time. For example: Which plaid do you like best? I am interested in what other customers think. That will help me decide what to buy. Just food for thought. Thanks for being great!

lily -August 21, 2012, 3:48PM

Can’t Buy me Love

AlinaAmz -August 21, 2012, 3:57PM

Into the wild….is the movie which completely changed my life and my view of the world.

tonya -August 21, 2012, 4:44PM

I’m old. So, my answer is gonna be different than most and I have 2. Times Square http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0081635/ because I felt one with the main characters in wanting to run away and find my own way in the word before it was time. The other is The Razors Edge http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0087980/. It is just a beautiful movie about learning what is really important. I still love them both and could watch them over and over.

Emma -August 21, 2012, 5:08PM

Reality Bites, for sure!

vitoria -August 21, 2012, 5:35PM

Jeux D’enfants, What A Way To Go, Sid & Nancy, The Royal Tenenbaums, Me Without You, Almost Famous, Lost and Delirious, Gia, Girl, Interrupted, Prozac Nation, Pretty Woman, Mysterious Skin, Somersault, White Oleander, Cherrybomb, Norma Jean and Marilyn Monroe, Sleeping Beauty (2011), Smithereens, Ladies and Gentleman, The Fabulous Stains, <3 if you haven't seen them, watch & enjoy! xx

Montana -August 21, 2012, 5:39PM

Definitely Almost Famous! I love the 70′s and the fact that William is young and persuing his desired career!

Carolina -August 21, 2012, 9:45PM

Piñero with Benjamin Bratt, and C.R.A.Z.Y.

Carleigh -August 21, 2012, 10:42PM

Almost Famous has definitely changed my life. Its who I am all tied up in a few hours of a movie. It makes me proud to be who I am and not left out since I’m in old soul(:

Kelly -August 21, 2012, 11:27PM

Recently, i watched Moonrise Kingdom and fell in love with it! the film was so very quiet but powerful at the same time and i loved the fact that it was two kids that chased their dreams despite what everyone else told them.

Su -August 22, 2012, 12:21AM

I’m going to be Debbie downer but most influential movie was definitely Soylent Green. That last scene put a huge chill down my spine. I’ve been a tree hugger ever since =]

Chelsea -August 22, 2012, 1:25AM

For me it’s definitely Biutiful. Javier Bardem’s character struggles to find the beauty in life when he is diagnosed with terminal cancer and faced with the predicament of tying up lose ends and leaving a legacy for his children to remember him by. It taught me that no matter the situation, there is a certain beauty in hardship and pain.

Vero -August 22, 2012, 7:45AM

Definitely ‘Girls Interrupted’

Briana -August 22, 2012, 3:39PM

Wristcutters: A Love Story, directed by Goran Dukic, based on the short story, “Kneller’s Happy Campers” by Etgar Keret. Stars Patrick Fugit, Shannyn Sossamon, Shea Whigham, and TOM WAITS himself. What got me was how close to home this story was to a short story I was writing at the time. Movie was filmed beautifully with a discreet, social criticism and somber charm. Of course, it caused me to read the actual short story, which lead to Etgar Keret and his effortlessly genius prose. What killed me most was that it was eerily similar to a short story I was developing at the time. I couldn’t be upset, though, when the end product came out so well. It’s one of those movies that, if you’re a writer, it’s hard to watch – even though you love it – because you wish so bad you had written it.

Justine -August 22, 2012, 5:43PM

Legends of the Fall.

Emily -August 23, 2012, 9:21PM

Everything is Illuminated. Hands down. Elijah Wood is easily in my top three favorite actors, and I love the humor and cinematography.

Fiona -August 24, 2012, 1:16AM

@Briana: “What killed me” was an interesting beginning for that sentence, given the context. :)

“Annie Hall” totally blew my mind. The aesthetic is so distinct. It’s like a dream.

Maggie -August 24, 2012, 4:05PM

@Laura What Remains changed my life also! I’m a photographer, and that documentary inspires me so much. I also love Garden State and Forrest Gump. I watch those at least once a month.

Keely -August 28, 2012, 9:27AM

Like others, Almost Famous is my all time favorite movies. One of my favorite quotes is “I always tell the girls, never take it seriously, if ya never take it seriously, ya never get hurt, ya never get hurt, ya always have fun, and if you ever get lonely, just go to the record store and visit your friends.” Oh and I remember the first time I saw the part when they are all in the bus singing Tiny Dancer I literally wanted to live in that moment of the movie. Heres the link for the clip that I have probably watched over 1,000X.

Also, Marie Antoinette was such an inspiring film. The whole fllm was beautiful.

Romeo and Juliet (1996), leonardo DiCaprio blew my mind in this film. Some people hated the modernizated version, but I loved it. Not to mention it has one of the best soundtracks ever.

cori rose -November 14, 2012, 2:15PM

Matilda – danny devito 1996 i always wanted to be her and use my “mind powers” for the greater good like she did

essay helper -January 17, 2014, 7:47PM

People change change anything that moves to be honest.

Western Hats -March 9, 2014, 12:30PM

Hello i am kavin, its my first time to commenting anywhere,
when i read this piece of writing i thought i could
also create comment due to this good paragraph.