How To Create A Bohemian Atmosphere In Your Home

Post image for How To Create A Bohemian Atmosphere In Your Home

Do you ever dream of being a nomad? I think it’s something that crosses all of our minds at one point or another. Traveling from place to place with no destination in sight; living in a beat up caravan that’s covered in beautiful tapestries inside and overflowing with little trinkets you’ve collected along the way. It just seems so free.

Caravan Dreams is the name of our latest lookbook and, with its rich fabrics and eclectic mix of prints, it’ll put you in a traveling state of mind. Bohemian clothing is a given for us Free People girls, but what about bohemian home décor? I love the idea of decorating the home as if it’s a caravan; getting that on-the-road feeling right in your own home. Here are my tips on how to create a bohemian-feeling home:

Click on images for sources; top image source.

1. Use lots of rich color

Bohemian Home Decor

Ladies and gentlemen, there ain’t no such thing as a monochrome bohemian sanctuary. Bohemian décor is all about the colors of the world, so use as much as you possibly can – and focus on rich hues like deep purples and saturated golden yellows.

2. Mix it up

Bohemian Home Decor

Bohemian Home Decor

Bohemian Home Decor

By this I mean everything. To really achieve that eclectic bohemian feel, mix different textures and prints along with your mix of colors. If you think it’s “too much,” that probably means you’ve gotten it just right.

Hang things – everywhere

Bohemian Home Decor

Bohemian Home Decor

Caravans are pretty small by nature, so it’s necessary to utilize every ounce of space there is – including the ceiling. You can achieve this look by hanging tapestries, jewels, pieces of fabric – anything, really!

4. Be one with nature

Bohemian Home Decor

Bohemian Home Decor

The bohemian lifestyle is all about spending days wandering all over Mother Earth, so it only makes sense that you’d bring some of nature’s gifts back to your abode! Fill your space with big, green plants to add the final touches to your bohemian dream home.

Shop Caravan Dreams.

Tags: ,

Comments

Megan -September 19, 2012, 10:51AM

Brigette, I think you should’ve been an interior designer lol..

Mackenzie -September 19, 2012, 12:07PM

Amazing post!!

Eva -September 19, 2012, 12:28PM

Love this Bridgette…it has totally given me a sweet idea for what I should do with my sewing space. I have a massive sewing room in the attic of my Victorian home and it still has the original wallpaper…slowly trying to convert it into something – now I know I want something like this…thank you!

Sally -September 19, 2012, 3:32PM

This is fantastic. I am drooling over everything

diyearte by L & S -September 20, 2012, 6:17AM

we love it!!

DIY and more:

Sandy -September 21, 2012, 7:00AM

I want every room!!! Beautiful!

mari -September 23, 2012, 12:49AM

love. this. post.

need. more.. please.

:]

perrin -September 30, 2012, 1:22AM

how would i get the fabrics to stay on regular walls? Say, in a dorm room for example?

Steph Casola -October 6, 2012, 10:17AM

this is awesome! total inspiration for when i finally move out!

celia -October 24, 2012, 3:15PM

I’m in LOVE with your Bohemian look decor!!!!!! thank you….

Anonymous -April 10, 2013, 8:05PM

What are some good shops to get decor like this?

Emily -April 10, 2013, 8:05PM

What are some good shops to get decor like this?

Rohit -June 27, 2013, 3:49AM

Some traditional furnishings that can add more style,

megan kalu -February 7, 2014, 2:36AM

I love this look and my house has been like this for 35 years!! Yes, I’m an “old hippy” and still loving it. Of course I’ve changed it up a little here and there, but I’m basically the same o’le me. It’s funny because my daughter (27) is very streamline, everything is white and stainless steal in her home and my son (33) is a jock and traditional, but they love my quirkiness and everything in my apt. is a conversation piece. I lost my husband a couple of years ago and I decided to sell our home since the kids were all grown up and gone and I went into a very bland apartment, beige walls… yadda, yadda, yadda… so I transformed it very close to what my home was. One thing I hated were these white popcorn ceilings…yuck!! So I followed the design very close to #5 photo above and walla the popcorn is gone!! And just a little tip for those who want to hang any type of materials on you walls, I have always used stitch witchery. I use my trusted 25-year-old iron and off I go. I cut a strip of how long I want it, place it between the wall and the cloth, place my iron over top and iron away. That’s it. No nails. And when you want to change it up, just pull it off and if some still sticks to the wall, just scrape it. Takes two seconds. Anyways, just wanted to say I love your site and will continue to seek new ideas.

Anonymous -July 31, 2014, 11:04PM

Enjoying your content, and want to start following you.

Shelley -August 10, 2014, 10:36PM

Beautiful! I LOVE LOVE LOVE the Middle Eastern feel.

Sandra -September 4, 2014, 11:45AM

Hi Brigette
I just wanted to let you know that you have inspired me even more to want to start getting my bedroom decorated . I would just to know where. can I go to buy what I would need . I live in Guelph, Ontario Canada . Do you think second hand stores and garage sales might be a good start . Cause I don’t think our city has any stores that carry what I’m looking for. I really love the way you decorated , Thank you

Sally -October 5, 2014, 12:14PM

This inpired me so much! Thank you

Leeds -November 7, 2014, 7:57PM