We absolutely adore nail art here at Free People and love finding ways to create beautiful designs using household objects. In this video, we show you how to create polka dot nails using one of the most common household tools: a cotton swab.
What you need:
1. Two nail polish colors – one for the base, one for the polka dots
2. Clear top coat
3. A plastic cup
4. Cotton swabs
What you do:
1. Paint your base color and allow to dry completely.
2. Drop a few drops of your polka dot color onto an upside-down cup (this is way easier than sticking a cotton swab into a nail polish bottle!).
3. Dip one end of a cotton swab into the nail polish, and create dots by pressing down lightly onto your nails.
4. Let the dots dry completely.
5. Repeat step 3, making dots directly on top of the pre-existing dots, and allow to dry completely.
6. Finish off with a clear top coat to seal your creation
Helpful hint: If the cotton swab becomes too fuzzy and starts leaving bits of fuzz on your nails, flip it over and use the other side!
The song used in this video was a reader submission, which we love so much. We really enjoy hearing new music and we’re always looking for awesome indie jams to use in our videos! If you’re a musician and would like to have a song featured in one of our videos, please send over some songs to email@example.com with the subject line “Harmony.” Seriously, do it! :)