4 Ways To Beat Hard Water Hair

Post image for 4 Ways To Beat Hard Water Hair

UPDATE: This post originally ran August 1, 2012, but we wanted to share these helpful tips with you again! As the weather gets colder and drier, you may notice your hair drying out along with it, so make sure you follow these tips if you’re a victim of hard water hair!

When I first moved to Philadelphia, I anticipated a lot of things. I was ready to start a completely new life; to start my first “real” job; to move into an apartment on my own; to make an entirely new group of friends. But there was one thing for which I wasn’t prepared:  hard water.

I come from New York where the water is brilliantly soft. It’s great for skin, great for hair, and (perhaps most importantly) great for bagels and pizza. Within my first week in Philly, I began to notice that my hair was behaving quite strangely. It was dry and straw-like. It felt brittle and lifeless. It was extremely knotty and almost sticky to the touch. I had no idea what was going wrong, and then it finally hit me: It was the change in water.

Hard water is water that contains a large amount of minerals. Mineral content in water can vary from state to state – even from city to city. While it’s not harmful to your health, hard water can bring serious problems to your skin and hair, adding to them a buildup of minerals and drying them out. If you’ve ever moved from a soft water city to a hard water city, I know you can feel my pain. But don’t fret my dears, because hard water does not have to ruin your life!

After three months of researching and experimenting, I’m finally figuring out the best ways to bring hard water hair back to its naturally beautiful state. Here are my tips on how to beat hard water hair:

Install a showerhead water filter

Outdoor Shower

Yes, these exist! Showerhead water filters work just like drinking water filters by enhancing pH balance, filtering out unwanted chemicals and letting only the good stuff pass through! These filters are built into their own showerheads, so just be prepared to replace your entire showerhead. They vary in price depending on their various functions and designs, but you can get a good one from Aquasana for around $70!

Use a chelating shampoo

Soap Bubbles in Hand

Chelating shampoos are specifically designed to prevent and remove mineral buildup in your hair. A chelating agent will chemically bind to minerals, removing them before you even have a chance to notice that they’re there. Some shampoo companies throw around words like “clarifying,” “chelating,” and “neutralizing,” so to be sure you’re using the right product, look for one that has the ingredient EDTA. Because a chelating shampoo will strip your hair, they should only be used about once a week, and should be followed with an intensely moisturizing conditioner.

Make an apple cider vinegar rinse

Homemade Apple Cider Vinegar

This is one thing I have not yet tried, but plan to do this week! A vinegar rinse will not only remove buildup from your hair, but also give it bounce and shine! Mix 1/3 cup of apple cider vinegar with 1 qt. of distilled water. First shampoo your hair and rinse well. Apply the mixture, leave on for a few seconds, and rinse with cold water. There’s no need to condition afterwards. Due to the acidic nature of vinegar, use this rinse only once a week – perhaps alternating weeks with your chelating shampoo, if you choose to use one of those, as well.

Finish off with argan oil

Argan Oil on Table

Argan oil is an amazing product that will make your hair the shiniest, most moisturized, and healthiest looking it has ever been. Hard water will dry out your hair and argan oil will restore the moisture right away. Simply apply to damp hair after you get out of the shower and style as usual! You can apply to your ends only or all over, depending on how dry your hair is. Just be careful not to use too much (or any at all) by your roots, as this could cause your hair to appear greasy. UPDATE: Make sure you choose pure argan oil rather than a silicone-based hair product that will only contain a small amount. A good choice is Josie Maran 100% Pure Argan Oil. (Thanks for your comments on this!)

Do you have any tips on beating hard water hair? We’d love to hear them. Comment below and let us know!

Click on images for sources; top image source.

More beauty tips on the BLDG 25 blog!

Comments

crimsonlips -August 1, 2012, 10:47AM

Lush had a shampoo bar specifically designed for hard water. I don’t know if they still have it, but you could always check them out.

Jo -August 1, 2012, 5:20PM

Unfortunately, the products you posted got nothing to do with argan oil. argan oil is great, when used pure, its also great for the skin and definately doesnt cause breakouts. these “hair oils” are silicone based, they only contain very little argan oil, what makes your hair shiny and bouncy is the silicone. (which when used over a long period of time will damage your hair)

Fiona -August 1, 2012, 5:55PM

Mouthwash works well in place of apple cider vinegar, too!

Heidi O. -August 1, 2012, 6:01PM

Josie Maran 100% Pure Argan Oil is great!

Carmen -August 1, 2012, 7:25PM

I’ve done the apple cider wash, is works wonders!

-Carmen

Jessica -August 1, 2012, 9:37PM

Aubrey organics makes a phenomenal chelating “swimmer’s” shampoo/conditioner…great for hard water, chlorine, and sea water. For an ACV rinse, try adding 2 tbsp honey to retain moisture and to add a silkier finish. Pure, organic oils such as marula, coconut, and argan are perfect for skin/hair as they absorb without the dreaded oil slick and help normalize sebum production so every type of skin/hair can benefit!

cj -August 1, 2012, 9:50PM

amazing post!!! ive been living with hard water for 6 months and i can absolutely feel it in my hair! thank you thank you! give an egg white hair mask a try too, its a gem!

Angela -August 1, 2012, 10:52PM

my parents installed hard water and when i moved to my condo a year ago I could tell my hair and sensitive was no use to the hard water. thanks for the tips!

fp brigette -August 2, 2012, 10:00AM

Thanks for the tip, Jo! I might have to give pure argan oil a shot :)

AE -August 3, 2012, 12:59PM

hard water can be such a bummer! i went from some of the cleanest water in the US to very, very hard water. my skin was very reactive and my hair just seemed so limp! if you’re used to not washing your hair too often (i did a lot of only-conditioner daily showers when my water was nice and balanced), try to notice WHERE in your hair the minerals seem to be building up. For me, it’s right above my ears and in the back of my hair near my neck. I just wash these places every shower now (even with a fancy filter, our water is still not perfect) and then do a full head wash once or twice a week. Conditioner is always necessary, as hard water will give build up but also can be very drying! It took me over a year to get a good system but I think my hair is getting back to normal. As for skin, the dermatologist was the only one who really helped me. xoxoxo good luck everybody

Hard Water San Antonio -August 9, 2012, 2:53AM

Wow! Interesting post. I agree that hard water is water that contains a large amount of minerals. While it’s not harmful to your health, hard water can bring serious problems to your skin and hair, adding to them a buildup of minerals and drying them out. That is why we should consider purchasing waters oftener.

lis -September 7, 2012, 5:28AM

Wet your hair….mix a cup of water and 3 tablespoons of Baking Soda in a container……swirl around until dilluted…… pour the mix onto wet hair….rinse your hair again. THE BEST buildup remover for pennies. GREAT for any hair type!

Rachel -October 6, 2012, 9:09AM

Great Tips! I also have hard water and find that if I use a sulfate free shampoo and conditioner, it helps in beating hard water damage.

Lydia -October 7, 2012, 12:42AM

I live in a place with very hard water. I follow the no-poo hair system: shampoo with bar soap or Dr. Bronners (or baking soda paste if you prefer), and condition with vinegar water or a coffee rinse. My hair has never been shinnier, softer, curlier, or more voluminous in my life :)

Ellen -October 7, 2012, 6:44AM

Brilliant…. you have no idea how we have been searching for a solution to this problem. We will be buying a shower filter immediately and follow your suggestions. Thank you, thank you thank you!!!!!

diyearte by L & S -October 8, 2012, 7:36AM

interesting post!!

DIY and more:

Kayla -October 11, 2012, 1:47PM

Thank you do much :) I just moved into a new place and the water is much harder! Grrrr. Not only has the gold began drying me out, so has the water! Not only my hair but especially my skin! It’s been making my naturally curly/kinda frizzy hair frizzier, my scalp itchy, and my body ashy. Oh, and on top of that it’s been making me break out! So uh yah, definitely HAVE to try these tips! I’m almost positive the filter shower head is gonna work! Thnx bridgette <3
REQUEST: could you do a post on taking care of and styling naturally curly (not ethnic.), frizz prone, dry, hair?

Nicole -October 25, 2012, 5:51PM

It’s a relief to see I’m not the only one talking about this! Several years ago I noticed a drastic change in my hair and couldn’t understand why. I can’t remember how I came to it, but I realized hard water was the culprit. The showerhead filter became a nuisance to have to change every 3 months, it became challenging to find in the store and the filter mainly only removes chlorine, and not the minerals that are causing the problem. So I took it to the next level, water softening. After much research, I finally found a system that didn’t require some huge purchase, or being a homeowner – as I rent. I promise I don’t work for these guys! http://www.watersticks.com. Yeah, looks like some guy made it in his garage, but it helped a ton.

I moved a while later and had the wonderful luxury of fantastic, soft water. Oddly, I had to move again a couple of months ago, within the same neighborhood, and just noticed that I’m having hard water issues again. Back to the water softening system I go, sadly, it was so nice to have great hair for a while! Thanks for the other tips girls! I’m going to check them out!

Angie -January 8, 2013, 9:23PM

I have lived in a house with hard water for about 5 and a half years, and my mom had told me not to wash my hair with that water but to wash it with the spring water that she gets and of course only being around 10 at the time i did not believe her. However, my questions are: 1. How long would it take for me to get all that hard water out of hair? 2. How do i know which argan oil to get? 3. How do i know which apple cider vinegar to get? For years i thought that the cause of my hair being dry and brittle and horse tail like was due to dying my hair. I’ve changed shampoos and conditioners and everything. Please help me?

Gina -January 12, 2013, 8:16AM

Angie, get the shower filter! I just got mine yesterday and it works fantastic! I also used 1 part cider vinegar to 2 parts water and put it in a spray bottle. Use only once every week or every other week. Spray it all over your head after you shampoo and let it soak in for a minute then rinse. That’s all it takes to get the scale out of your hair. I’m waiting for my chelating shampoo and the argan oil spray to ship, but right now I don’t even think I need that stuff. The shower filter works miracles.

taylo -January 22, 2013, 5:34PM

I have moved in with my boyfriend about 2 years ago who has hard water. I have never before had to wash my hair with hard water so I have thought that I was damaging my hair from too much heat with the blow drying and the flat irons until recently when I had my hair done I was ask if I had hard water. My hair has never ever been so brittle, dry, frizzy with this kind of breakage. I have cut off 6 inches of my hair thinking that would help but NO nothing has seemed to work. I have been trying I really appreciate all of these awesome ideas and will try them but first I am going to go buy me a filter for my shower. I am so excited that I have found this blog. Thank you so much!!!

Leandra, -February 20, 2013, 12:00AM

I just moved into my great grandmothers house because we sold our house and are saving up to buy in the future. The house is over 100 years old and while the interior has been updated the pipes haven’t. The water is terribly hard but we have put a water softener on. I have strawberry blonde hair and fair skin. I’ve always just done highlights and loved my hair. We’ve been here 3 months and the minerals have darkened my hair and given it an orange tint. My stylist says there’s no way to remove it and the only option is to go dark. I don’t want to look like an orange highlighter but I don’t think I can pull off dark hair! The water has been tested and shows normal levels of iron and stuff. It was just really hard. I need help! What do I do? I’m trying Malibu hard water wellness kit. Should this work?

CrustyH2O -March 22, 2013, 3:18PM

DON’T SPEND MONEY on an overpriced showerhead filter! These will NOT work well as point-of-use water softeners! They only filter out particulate matter (like sand), not the ions or microns of minerals which are in solution in the water supply. The process of softener water rich with minerals requires a multi-gallon reservoir where the exchange can happen — it’s not possible in that little showerhead attachment.

Alecia -April 16, 2013, 5:58AM

So glad there’s a few solutions! I’m a recent American expat from Dallas to London and my skin is the main problem! I was recently introduced to Argan oil and Rhassoul clay and it seems to help, but can’t keep hydrated enough. Even have a humidifier! Any suggestions for my face would be greatly appreciated! Thanks so much for the hair tips!

SweetMel -April 18, 2013, 12:35PM

Glad I found this! So many good tips and so many of us with similar issues. Thanks for the great details!

SweetMel -April 18, 2013, 12:39PM

Also I forgot to ask, do you know of any chelating shampoos on the market? I’ve searched brands that are sold at Sally’s and at a few hair salon level. I like the organic method better but I also want to purchase brands as well for other purposes.

fp brigette -April 18, 2013, 2:41PM

SweetMel – I use this one: Joico K Pak Chelating Shampoo. It’s pretty good :)

Kendra -May 8, 2013, 3:27AM

It is important that one utilize the proper water softener equipment to help soften their home water supply. Hard water is naturally present and without taking steps to soften the water supply, it can wreak havoc on a home’s appliances as well as make for a longer lasting shower and also creates water deposits.

water softeners -May 28, 2013, 3:26PM

it is definitely important that one uses the proper water softener to help soften and purify the water. Without treatment, almost all water is hard and full of impurities.

Chinadoll -July 16, 2013, 10:05PM

I just moved from a home that had an iron filter, a water softener and a drinking water system installed. I work for the company that makes the equipment. The house where I live now (temporary situation) has hard water and in a matter of a few weeks my hair is so nasty I can’t stand to feel it on my head. I miss my water softener :( I am looking for some temporary remedy that I can use in the mean time until I can get situated in a permanent place that I will be able to treat the incoming water supply with a water softener. I am currently using Ion Purifying Solutions shampoo and conditioner from Sally’s but it’s not even beginning to help. I swear by a water softener and have noticed in a short amount of time how desperate I am going to need another one or I may have to start washing my hair with distilled water!!! I am going to check with my company to see if they have something that could work in my current situation (Kinetico.com).

patty -July 29, 2013, 5:44PM

I just discovered scalp oil from Morrocan oil called dry no more. It has salicylic acid and various oils. I like that it only goes on your scalp. I typically apply 2xweek (to scalp only) 15 minutes prior to shower. In shower condition hair first, then wash hair with moisturizing shampoo then deep condition. After blow dry on cool setting I use velcro rollers for sensitive hair. This helps smooth the frizz. (Only use velcro brand as they have a closed loop. Open loops damage) I live in Florida with very hard water and humidity. Even with a water softener my scalp and h hair is extremely damaged. This is the first product that is helping. I believe this is also a better alternate to harsh medicated shampoos.

Sinner -August 17, 2013, 12:55AM

Ion has started making Hard Water Shampoo and Hard Water Conditioner specific to this problem. They sell it at Sally Beauty Supply. I just got it and have used it twice. My hair looks like it should instead of a sticky pile of straw! I don’t know about soap, though. Gonna try using boiled water to wash my face.

catty -August 21, 2013, 12:17PM

after living for 66 yrs. in a city with soft water I moved into a house with hard water and for the past year my scalp has been ITCHING. My (grey) hair texture seems the same, but it is also very short and I use no styling products. No problems with skin. I have tried the Nioxin, Malibu, Proactiv, Head & Shoulders, Selsun, something with Shea Butter a sensitive skin redhead friend recommended, Tea Trea oil something another friend recommended, Redken Detoxifying and a couple of others. Really excited to read about the Joico K Pak until I looked in my shower and realized it is the latest product that hasn’t been working for the past 3 weeks. This ITCHING is making me crazy. I’ll try the Sally Beauty products, the Baking Soda with vinegar rinse and I just ordered the shower filter. I haven’t seen anyone else mention the itching issue, I can’t be the only one?

Melody -August 22, 2013, 9:48AM

Thanks for this blog! I am looking forward to more comments. I just moved to a place with hard water and not only is my husband’s skin turning ashy, my hair feels “heavy” or like there is something in it.
I have dyed my hair with henna for the past 3-4 years, and stopped using conditioner back home (softer water) because I didn’t even need it! I use the “free and clear” or whatever type of Fructis shampoo, and it was working great. But here? Ugh. So glad I found this. I’m going to try a filter first, and if that doesn’t work, a point of use softener. I’m in an apartment so I don’t want to spend beaucoup bucks on something right now. Thanks for the Water Sticks recommendation, Nicole, I’m glad someone mentioned those, as I thought the website looked sketchy too. :)

Melody -August 22, 2013, 9:49AM

Oh, and Catty, you’re not alone–my husband is itchy too. Heck, now *I’m* itchy thinking about it!

Shannon -August 31, 2013, 12:52AM

The ACV rinse works great but the smell is terrible and never leaves my hair

Monica -September 14, 2013, 12:22PM

I live in the UK and we have a home in Brazil with solar energy and the pipes are made of copper. Copper particles have been released into the water, therefore my hair is completely covered with it! I tried to colour my hair and noticed that my entire head was on fire, literally! When I washed my hair it went orange!!! I tried to do it again and it got worse! I went to a hair specialist and she told me what happened and to my disappointment no fix for it. I have a multi-coloured head and I am quite desperate. I tried various cleansing shampoos including Joico K Pak as well as Redken but nothing seems to work. Has anyone experienced such thing? What can I do now?

ann -October 6, 2013, 4:04PM

Recently moved to Fla and hair has gotten quite dry and straw-like. Hard water must be the reason! Will stop the silicone treatment and try some of the ones mentioned here. But, I color my hair… Will chelating or clarifying shampoo pull out the color? Ann

Sandra -October 16, 2013, 11:37PM

The ONLY thing that will help your hair is the Malibu treatments in a Salon. I kid you not. I had major build up of iron, etc. in my hair and that is the only solution you can get to get your hair back in shape! It’s amazing!! Trust me, it took me 1 1/2 years of research to find out what was going on with my hair. Also you can check their website at malibuc.com

Lori -October 22, 2013, 11:39AM

Thank you for the post! I recently moved to OH (six months ago). About a month after living here, I couldn’t figure out what was going on with my hair! I normally have naturally curly hair that tends to frizz. The only good thing over the summer was that I didn’t have a frizz problem, but my hair was dry and straw-like, wouldn’t curl up, or even hold hair from the curling iron. The only thing I could think of was the change in water, as I had a water softener at my previous home, and now I am on city water with no water softener. I was so glad to see this post and confirm that hard water can indeed change your hair. I am anxious to try your recommendations and those of other’s postings. Any recommendations on quaility daily shampoo for color treated hair in-between the chelating?

sehee -November 3, 2013, 5:50PM

just moved from NYC to FL this week and noticed a huge difference in my hair already from the hard water. I thought it was the humidity before but as it’s heading into fall(ish) in FL, the humidity definitely isn’t the issue. I read on Real Simple online that some good shampoos for hard water you can find at drugstores are Pantene and Fructis. I bought 3 different shampoos today at walmart cause I’m desperate to get my hair back: pantene aqua light (silicone free and has EDTA), Suave daily clarifying (also has EDTA) and Neutrogena anti-residue shampoo, which claims to instantly “remove over 90% of dulling residue”- so will try those along with the apple cider vinegar. Already tried argan oil and that’s been great- just have to go really light on it as it does make my hair greasy towards the end of the day.

Jule Lawrence -November 5, 2013, 8:17PM

I bought a 55 year old house and this is exactly what happened to my hair. It took me 2 1/2 years to figure it out. I have to go to friends to wash my hair but it is totally dry after the years of hard water build up. It only took you a while to figure it out. If you have any ideas on conditioners let me know. Thank you, Julie Lawrence

M Ross -November 8, 2013, 12:42PM

Our plumber friend was talking to my contractor husband about having a well pump right from the well head in addition to what we have in the house. We have a well pump, pressure tank, and salt filter in laundry room and an aerator just outside of the house. He explained to my husband that the well pump in the house is drawing the water from a shallow level even though it is a deep well. He explained that all the smells coming from the aerator are layers of gases in the earth. If we add a pump at the well then it will draw up water from much deeper eliminating the gases we are pumping into our house. I have seen videos of people igniting the water coming from their kitchen faucets. Now I know why. I also have been dealing with hair issues that I’m still trying to resolve. We will be adding another pump as well as a shower head filter.

L. Manteuffel -November 26, 2013, 7:51PM

All of these tips are so helpful. I have been living at my Mom’s 70 year old house with well water. Not only was scalp itchy but my short hair was impossible to style. A combo of sticky texture and static which would not respond to my usual blow drying routine. So I broke out my goat’s milk bar soap, which is never drying, and washed my hair with that. I didn’t want to use conditioner that I would have to rinse out, I used my favorite aveda leave in conditioner and let it marinate with a shower cap on for 15 min. Followed that with a styling product that contained no alcohol. It worked! My hair finally feels clean after a month and the styling was easy peasy. However, I will from now on keep the cider vinegar and argan oil with me when I visit.

sehee -December 1, 2013, 11:37PM

I’ve been using Pantene Aqua Light shampoo and conditioner for the past 3 weeks and it’s been working very well for me. But because it does strip my hair my scalps been a bit itchy, so I’ve gone to doing hair masks once in a while- a great one has been coconut oil mixed with honey, coat wet or dry hair and roll it up and let it all soak in for about 30 minutes. Hair is amazingly soft afterwards and definitely helps the itchy scalp. I’m all about home remedies, so glad I found that one (you can also make a great face mask with the leftover honey and some greek yogurt, voila!) Now I have to figure out a good chelating body wash as the skin on my back and chest have been breaking out badly from the water, I think :( Let me know if you have any suggestions! Thanks

grey hair treatment natural -December 22, 2013, 12:56AM

Great – I should definitely pronounce, impressed with your web site. I had no trouble navigating through all the tabs and related information ended up being truly easy to do to access. I recently found what I hoped for before you know it at all. Reasonably unusual. Is likely to appreciate it for those who add forums or something, web site theme . a tones way for your customer to communicate. Nice task.

EMR -December 22, 2013, 11:26AM

With an ACV solution, do you use this in between shampoo and conditioner? Or after? Do you rinse it out with the hard water in the shower or leave it in and blow dry? I need some serious help! Moving to an apartment with hard water after living at home with mom and dad for 26 years having a water softener…not cool!! My hair is so flat and frizzy now and feels coarse and looks greasy! :(

Culligan International -January 6, 2014, 11:40AM

A water softener for your home is a great solution, too — and not only for your hair. There are a multitude of other benefits soft water can provide for both your health and your home. Contact your local Culligan Man, if you’re interested. We’re always happy to help and educate: http://www.culligannation.com/at-home-or-work/contact/

mike -January 26, 2014, 4:55AM

Nyc water is way to soft, it has no mineral content and the soap sticks to your skin and leaves residue and it takes forever to rinse. Fact: when water has some minerals the soap sticks to the minerals and washes off. We have this idiotic water so the soap companies can sell more soap. They pay off our politicians,

em a -February 7, 2014, 1:27PM

Apple Cider Vinegar is actually alkalizing….at least when ingested…

Liz -February 14, 2014, 5:33AM

This may be a silly question, but when I make the cider vinegar wash can I just use normal (ie hard) water from the tap? I don’t have a purifier!

Fitler Butler -February 15, 2014, 5:31PM

Yeah we too have heard of our customers using water filters to get softer hair. http://www.filterbutler.com/

Kay -February 18, 2014, 10:05PM

Vodka works better than apple cider vinegar. I add a splash to my conditioner and let it sit on my hair and then also rinse with a little vodka mixed in a cup of water. Vodka removes hard water minerals and brightens your hair and leaves it silky. Do it a few times a month. It really works!!!

jess -February 21, 2014, 10:23PM

I find that taking Fish Oil really helps my hair to look and feel better. It benefits your hair ,skin and nails. I really noticed the change when I was pregnant. I took a fish oil supplement from Whole Foods 365 brand-I choose them because supposedly these ones dont make your burps fishy. I thought that my hair was just nice bc I was prego, but since I have been taking the supplements again my hair has gone back to being amazing. Aveda makes a detox shampoo called sun care that works very well to clear buildup once a week.

Timothys Rambo -March 1, 2014, 4:13AM

It helps to give your hair an instant healthy boost, but also works to rebuild and repair long term damage caused from everyday wear and tear, environmental damage, mineral deposits, heat styling, chemical processing, and stress.

Michelle -March 14, 2014, 10:27AM

So… I’m biased because I work for a soft water company, but another way to get rid of hard water hair is to get rid of the hard water. Water softeners are a great tool for that :)

Sadie -April 9, 2014, 9:53PM

BRIDGE! It’s me, Sadie from STA! Hey girl! Anyways :) So crazy I found your blog post when I was randomly searching for hard water hair care and your post came up first! Crazy. Anyways, after MONTHS of terrible, greasy hair in DC and after doing TONS of research and trying numerous remedies, I finally took your advice and bought an Aquasauna this morning. Here’s hoping it will solve my dirty DC hair dilemma! Thanks for sharing

kenzie -April 15, 2014, 3:13PM

Thank god for this blog! I just moved to the country from the city and my hair has just flat lined ! I thought I had something terribly wrong with me! Going to be trying theapple cider ssoon for sure

hair extensions Melbourne -April 28, 2014, 10:41PM

This is a good article, But to add that point hair is also affected by the chemical we use day to day, Taking some vitamins also give a good results, specially vitamin E and fish oil can give an amazing change.

Jennifer Chen -May 14, 2014, 7:19PM

I’ve created a similar post on my blog about the top 5 reasons to soften your water. These are some great tips here Brigette thanks a lot for sharing! I personally took the the approach of just installing a water softener and not having to deal with hard water hair to begin with. I think for someone who can’t afford a softener or doesn’t want to be bothered with it, this is definitely some great advice!

Dee -June 10, 2014, 1:47AM

Ahhh yes this is so true! Philly water is AWFUL! and has gotten even worse over the years. It smells like bleach now too. EW! Lately my hair feels like straw no matter what excellent products I use in my hair that USED to ALWAYS work wonders….I guess the hard water finally caught up to me. I can’t even get my hair cut with texturizing anymore without making my ends looks frayed. The water is the worst. Washing dark clothes in it makes them faded even if new! Makes whites look dingy and stained! Colors look dull–even when adding product to help soften the water…..UGH! Hard water go away! Will be getting a whole-house water filter/softener asap! I can’t even wash my face with tap water anymore! I can only use cleanser wipes and thermal water spray–sometimes distilled water but I don’t have the patience to deal with all of that. I have always been quite reluctant to try ACV on my hair thinking it will dry it out more, but now I am desperate! lol Can’t wait for the filter though, as my daughter has eczema and I am sure this hard water doesn’t help any. I think the investment of a filter will help so much in the long run and will no longer have to worry about managing having hard water. For those who live in apts and have no say in getting a water filter/softener….I hope these home remedies work out great!!!

lynnmarie -June 24, 2014, 8:44AM

WHAT ABOUT US GIRLS WITH $200 SALON COLORED HAIR ? just spent close to $200 at Ulta coloring my hair.

Do these tips (acv- chelating shampoos etc ) work on colored treated hair???? Do they take out the color?????

Girly -July 12, 2014, 10:20PM

Apple Cider Vinegar Rinse??? Is it really helpful? I guess so, but wouldn’t it cause a stinky smell on your hair? Why don’t you use a water softener to keep your hair soft and shiny. Try researching it. :)

Dawn -July 13, 2014, 11:20PM

What a revelation about philly water!!! I have lived here for 13 years and have been fighting my locks every morning in desperation. I have spent $1000′s every year in products and treatments, and extensive haircuts left with nothing but exasperation because nothing works and my hair only behaves on vacation!!!

Danielle -August 26, 2014, 1:12AM

Wen! Wen! Wen!
I started using Wen products 3 months ago while living with city water.
We moved and now have well water and a water softener system. There is still
Mineral buildup like iron. But I think my hair is even softer now because Wen is sulfate free and deeply nourishing. People it may not be your water it’s the sulfate and fillers they add.
And there even the really expensive stuff. Wen is so reasonably and it WoRKs
I have long fine straight hair. I would cry when I had to untangle it before I start Wen.
Now it’s soft and tangle free. Also the vinegar treatment is probably awesome I’m going to try it in the winter. You can add a drop of essential oils for the smell.

christi -August 28, 2014, 1:05AM

Hi
I think it looks amazing. I’m not sure I would have had the patience that you had though hoboken spa

Feel Your PAIN -August 28, 2014, 1:51AM

Dont let them tell you that there is nothing you can do about the buildup. I was living in a nightmare with water so hard that it smelled like rotten eggs when turned to HOT. After a local stylist dying my platinum blonde and now copper tipped hair black, I was about to give up hope; then I stumbled upon Color Oops. It worked wonders for taking all of the dark color out of my hair as well as lifting all of the hard water buildup and leaving me with one shade of beautiful blonde silky shiny manageable hair. If your at your wits end you should really try this ladies. I completely understand how you feel being a female, appearances are everything. The sulfur in Color Oops naturally lifts the built up minerals out of your hair. In my case my mineral was iron. Needless to say I started washing my hair with jug water in 40 degree bathroom in the middle of winter with a crappy space heater until we could afford to move 4 months later. We lived there 2 years. I’m so glad the nightmare is over I can finally regrow my hair after having to have all of the dead cut off and let me tell you it was a good 5 or 6 inches of irreversibly horrible damage. Good luck girls just try Color Oops. I promise it will strip it all out.

cindy -September 5, 2014, 7:25AM

Wouldnt your hair smell like vinegar? I think im going to try the baking soda.

JoyAnna -September 13, 2014, 7:09PM

I have well water at my house. My hair used to naturally be a very fair shade of blonde. now it has a brassy copper color. I miss my true blonde color! Will these tips work for me? I know I can’t use the shower head filter because our well water will clog it up too quickly, and we can’t afford a water filtration system. ugh. I hope I can fix this. By the way, I visited NYC after I graduated High school and YES! the water is sooooo soft! My hair felt AMAZING and I felt so clean while I was there! I loved it!