How To Make Your Own All-Natural Lip Balm

Post image for How To Make Your Own All-Natural Lip Balm

UPDATE: This post originally ran on September 20th but with the cooler weather in the air we wanted to share it again!

Fall begins this Saturday and along with cooler weather comes the season of chapped lips.  I won’t go anywhere in winter without lip balm or chapstick, and I go through a lot of it.  You guys may have noticed we’ve been on a bit of a kick lately with the homemade beauty products, and honestly discovering how to make things – face masks, split end treatments, sea salt spray, body scrub, you name it – has been like a whole new world for me.  It is so much more cost-effective to make these things with items you may already have around the house, plus it’s a lot of fun! There’s something very satisfying about using a beauty product that you made with your own hands.  Now, you may not have the ingredients to make lip balm around the house already but these are things you can definitely use for other purposes, so whatever you have left over will not go to waste!

diy lip balm

What you need: There are a number of recipes you can use for homemade lip balm, but pretty much all of them require beeswax.  I bought the block of beeswax from A.C. Moore (you can also use beeswax to make your own candles!). I also used coconut oil, which I got at the grocery store, vitamin E oil and tee tree oil (both from Trader Joe’s).  Coconut oil is known for its moisturizing ability and also smells amazing!  Vitamin E oil is a wonderful ingredient for this due to its numerous health benefits – it helps reduce the effects of sun damage, decreases dryness and helps increase moisture retention.  It is also a powerful antioxidant and immune system booster! Tea tree oil has amazing healing powers and also helps keep bacteria away.  Combined, these ingredients make for an amazing lip balm that will make your lips feel incredibly moisturized, soft and luxurious.

diy lip balm

Coconut & Tea Tree Oil Lip Balm

1 cup shaved beeswax (you can use a cheese grater or a knife, but be careful!)

3 tbsp coconut oil

1 tsp vitamin E oil

2-3 drops tea tree oil

To avoid burning the beeswax, melt it using a double boiling system. This sounds more complicated than it is.  I don’t have a double boiler, so I boiled water in a regular pot and then placed a saucepan on top of that pot, and melted the beeswax in the saucepan.  Add the coconut oil to the beeswax and stir until melted, and remove from the boiling water pot.  Now add your vitamin E oil and tea tree oil and mix in while still hot.  Pour into your container of choice, and let cool. Pretty simple, right?

diy lip balm

I got these containers at A.C. Moore as well – they originally had glitter in them, but I thought they were the perfect size so I just washed them out.  This recipe made enough to fill about five of these. If you plan on making more, just double or triple the recipe! You can also buy containers in bulk online.

Let your lip balm cool and harden overnight, and when it’s ready it will look like this:

diy lip balm

I love it so much I’m going to make a bunch as gifts for the holidays! I don’t think I’ll ever purchase lip balm again. :)

diy lip balm

Photos by Julia.

More DIY projects and beauty tips from the BLDG 25 Blog!

Tags: , , ,

Comments

Meghan -September 20, 2012, 11:42AM

Isn’t tea tree oil lethal if ingested?

fp julia -September 20, 2012, 11:44AM

Hi Meghan! there is such a small amount used that it is fine, plus you aren’t ingesting it just putting it on your lips! it is actually a very popular ingredient in lip balm for its soothing & healing properties :)

Brooke -September 20, 2012, 1:19PM

By cooling, do you meant putting it in the fridge or just letting it sit?
Also, I’m not sure where else I could find bee’s wax.. Do you know any other places that would have it besides the place you referred!?

P.s. Amazing idea! I am obsessed with lip balm! Can’t wait to make a million! Lol ;)

Melissa -September 20, 2012, 3:08PM

I HAVE got to try this! I’ve been on a DIY kick lately and this is perfect. Also, I use bottom balm on my daughter’s diaper rashes and to prevent them and this sounds like it could be a perfect recipe for that! LOVE! Thanks!

Lilly -September 20, 2012, 3:27PM

Om this is so freaking genious, I SO have to try this! I just hope hope hope that I will find the ingredients, cause I’m from Norway and don’t really know…yeah :/

fp julia -September 20, 2012, 4:12PM

Brooke – you could put it in the fridge and it will cool much faster, i just left mine out overnight since i wasn’t in a hurry :) Also you can find beeswax on Amazon! http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=beeswax

Gurley Girl -September 20, 2012, 6:22PM

GREAT gift idea!!

K -September 21, 2012, 7:46AM

Is the beeswax hard to clean off of the pan you melted it in?

kathie -September 21, 2012, 11:54AM

I could not possibly be more excited about this. I am thinking of making a bunch and handing them out to my friends, I am already known as the lip balm girl because I have one everywhere-in the car, in my locker at work, on my nightstand, etc…This is genius! So excited to make my own.

Cristina -September 24, 2012, 7:03PM

Love this idea!!! Especially for gifts!! Always looking for gifts I can make rather than buy :) do you have a suggestion on something I could also melt in to change the color, maybe give it a tint?

kat -September 29, 2012, 12:12AM

You can get beeswax at Michaels, the art store, and you can use bead containers from there too.

Meghan O. -October 20, 2012, 9:14AM
Lissa -October 20, 2012, 12:52PM

i have tea tree oil, and that stuff’s strong! i wouldn’t want to put that on my lips! would peppermint essential oil work in pretty much the same way?

Keri -October 21, 2012, 11:41PM

I made this and it was the best lip balm ive ever used. Then two weeks later my lips had s horrible allergic reaction :( it was either the coconut oil or tea tree oil…im so upset–i loved it! I was thinking of re making it using different oils

Danielle -October 23, 2012, 10:28PM

I made my own version of lip balm and it worked great but I just noticed that about 10 months later it became lumpy for some reason. I thought that lip balm should last well over a year? Does anyone have any thoughts on what could cause this? my ingredients include beeswax, shea butter, coconut oil, vit E, jajoba oil and lanolin. Any thoughts would be great!

Danielle -October 24, 2012, 11:39AM

Lisa & Keri,
You can also do a peppermint and spearmint combo which is nice. It gives your lips a slight tingle.

Rose -November 4, 2012, 6:52PM

you can also buy beeswax at michaels :)

Heather -December 19, 2012, 5:27PM

I bought beeswax at Micheals, then I read the label – it’s not cosmetic or food grade, so…

Is it safe to use?

Stella -December 24, 2012, 4:45AM

I am in India now. I don’t know from where I can purchase beeswax..:-(

brenda -January 4, 2013, 6:34PM

why did mine turn out hard

Unknown -January 8, 2013, 10:33PM

Dear Keri, the coconut oil is so amazing i eat a tablespoon a day and use it as a mosturizer and as butter. It was probably the tea tree oil. Don’t give up on coconut oil!!!

Lana | Sweet As Lime -January 10, 2013, 8:00AM

I love the little pots you put the lip balm in.

Jessica -January 19, 2013, 9:57AM

Does this recipe make a lip balm texture thats good for lip balm tubes? Since it has coconut oil, does it tend to melt if in the sun or your pocket? How many ounces does this recipe make?

Brad -January 28, 2013, 12:51PM

Danielle,

The reason it got lumpy or perhaps grainy is the Shea Butter you used. It sounds to me like you used unfiltered or unprocess shea butter which will cause your lip balm to get that way over time. If you really want to use shea butter, I suggest you try to find it filtered, you can tell because filtered will be white whereas unfiltered will be a soft golden color.

As of late, I have replaced my shea butter with coconut oil and like it much better and great for the skin too.

Hope that helps.

madison -February 4, 2013, 5:29PM

were are you supose to get all of this stuff

Julie -February 5, 2013, 10:04PM

Hi, I just made this recipe with beeswax from a local farmer’s market, coconut oil, almond oil and tea tree oil. However, after setting, it’s hard as a rock! I can’t even use it as it isn’t soft at all.
Any suggestions on what I can do to fix this? I don’t want to throw it out, so I’d rather re-heat it and re-work it. Should I add more coconut oil? What works for softness?

Bernadette -February 5, 2013, 10:42PM

Hi, just reading all your comments. I started making lip balm & a small amount of creams last year. Gave a few to some friends, who loved them. At the moment I’m using the coconut, beezwax & vit A lip balm which I also use on other areas. Made one into a cream for my face, which is sensitive, combination skin. Worked a treat & didn’t make my eyes water, as so many products did. Have one problem, here in Aus. its Summer & my gloss keeps melting, not a huge problem but a bit annoying. Also, refrigerated others I didn’t give away. This stuff last for ages.Wouldn’t buy another lip balm or moisturiser again.

Kathy -February 18, 2013, 2:13PM

I purchased beeswax from a local bee keeper at the farmer’s market.

Kayla -March 19, 2013, 8:42PM

I HAVE TO TRY THIS. IT SEEMS SO COOL TO DO AND MAYBE I CAN SELL SOME HOME MADE LIP BALM.

sue -April 4, 2013, 3:27PM

Hi, great idea, I am going to use it with my Brownie unit as well my daughter is going to give them out at her birthday party
. I have made up 1 batch to test it out and it is quite hard. how can you make it more soft? ??
I did pack down the shaved beeswax in my cup, could that have made the difference and I actually have too much beeswax in it?
can I take it out of the containers after all the ingredients are mixed together and reheat them?
thanks – we also added a bit of orange essential oil to it for a sweet smell

SandraK -June 25, 2013, 10:22AM

Hello!
I’ve tried to make them, but they are very hard – also the day after.
Is it a big spoon of coconut oil and a little spoon of vitamin E oil.

I’m from Denmark -sorry for my bad english ..
I hope you’ll answer me!

Have a nice day :)
Hugs , Sandra.

fridge repair -July 12, 2013, 11:45PM

I am really enjoying the theme/design of your weblog. Do you
ever run into any browser compatibility issues?
A number of my blog audience have complained about my site not working correctly in Explorer but
looks great in Chrome. Do you have any tips to help fix this issue?

Isabelle -July 13, 2013, 11:38PM

Your website appears to be having some compatibilty issues in my internet explorer browser.
The content appears to be running off the page pretty bad.
If you would like you can email me at: isabellemahoney@gmx.

de and I’ll shoot you over a screenshot of the problem.

Cathy -July 14, 2013, 10:47AM

Hello!

Can anyone help me out here. I realized as I was putting the flavor oil in (and some got on my hands) that it took my nail polish off…..how can this be good? If it can take nail polish off, should I really be putting it in chapstick?

Any help or insight would be helpful!

Thx,
Cathy

rental property cash flow -July 28, 2013, 4:24AM

What’s Going down i am new to this, I stumbled upon this I’ve found It absolutely helpful and it has aided me out
loads. I’m hoping to give a contribution & help other customers like its helped me. Good job.

Rebecca -August 8, 2013, 9:54AM

If anyone would like to tint their lip balm, some beet juice might work.

Sophia -August 10, 2013, 5:08PM

I think that beet juice wouldn’t mix with the wax and oil, so I recommend mica (a natural mineral colorant) to tint the lip balm. Or you could use a slick of lipstick, even! And I think even a 1/4 cup of beeswax would be good. One cup seems too hard. But great pictures and nice tutorial!

May -October 12, 2013, 10:34AM

Can you substitute beeswax for normal candle wax?

Sophia -October 26, 2013, 6:16PM

You can’t substitute normal candle wax because candle wax contains fragrances and dyes not suitable for lips. Even a regular unscented candle isn’t pure wax. You can use a pure 100% beeswax candle or soy wax. Soy wax is used to make candles, just make sure to buy pure soy wax with no additives.

Shawn -November 4, 2013, 10:59PM

Too much beeswax in this recipe.

Anna -November 7, 2013, 8:13AM

I made this, but cut the amount of beeswax by a third. It’s too hard to use if you use the full amount of beeswax!

Stephanie -November 27, 2013, 5:30PM

Just made this and its wayyyy too much Beeswax, I scraped it out of all my containers and reheat it all and put in way more Coconut oil, I hope this helps. grrrrr, dont want to waste all this stuff, it was expensive to get all the ingredients, especially the oil lol for just a few drops. I really enjoyed the recipes though thanks so much for ideas for Christmas :)

Wendy -December 1, 2013, 9:33PM

Hi

I see many are saying that the lip gloss is too hard – this depends so much on the weather – the warmer the weather the softer or coller harder – not good to have it too soft in the summer.

To colour add 1/4 tsp of coloured lipstick – this can be from the end of you tube (the bit you can only use with a brush). You can also fill used (cleaned) lipstick tubes with the gloss works great.

Angie -December 3, 2013, 4:35PM

Hi there:)

Thinking of making your recipe for wedding favors. How many ounces does this recipe yield?

Thank you!

Theresa -December 7, 2013, 7:35PM

I just made mine and it turned out horrible. I followed the recipe and it’s so hard it doesn’t glides on my lips nor can I use my finger. Nothing comes off on my fingers or lips. I made a ton for gifts and now they are useless. I just waisted my money

Theresa -December 7, 2013, 7:40PM

I forgot to add that because there was too much bee wax clean up is a nightmare.

Theresa -December 7, 2013, 7:42PM

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to save these lip balms?

Emily -December 10, 2013, 5:22PM

When I made this the lip balm was so hard I couldn’t even use it. Any advice?

Mel -December 13, 2013, 7:08PM

For anyone saying it’s to hard- add more coconut oil. If it comes out to soft, add more beeswax.

Kristie -December 20, 2013, 12:34PM

instead of shaved beeswax can i use beeswax pastilles and would i be the same measurement 1 cup?

otto -December 21, 2013, 5:40PM

Beware, these ratios are all wrong — makes for a VERY waxy, non-moisturizing balm. Needs like 4-5x the amount of coconut oil to be the proper consistency. Just made a batch and its unusable. Re-melting and starting over.

otto -December 21, 2013, 5:44PM

Looks to me like 1 cup of beeswax must be a typo — see the following:

As a general rule, use 3 parts of carrier oil to 1 part of beeswax (omit butters from your calculations since they are solid at room temperature).

Keragan -January 13, 2014, 7:50PM

How much does this recipe make?

Jemma -February 6, 2014, 7:03PM

I just made this recipe and as others have said, it was hard as a rock. These are my modifications that made it really smooth, soft and lovely!
I put it in Chapstick tubes, using a syringe you can get at drugstores or medical supply stores.
The recipe is kinda funky as I just kept adding oils until it was how I wanted it.

Lip balm:
-1 tube dark Burt’s bees lip shimmer (more for a darker color)
-1cup shaved bees wax
-15 Tbsp coconut oil
-1tsp + 1Tbsp Vitamin E oil
-1Tbsp Sunflower oil

Makes a ton!! At least 8 oz.

Tiff -February 12, 2014, 1:38PM

What a wonderful idea? I’ll have to try this.

Notsoplainjane -February 15, 2014, 11:27PM

You really should use therapeutic grade essential oil for your Chapstick. I made this with do terra therapeutic grade peppermint and lemon oil. Turned out great! Good luck! P.S never put anything on your body that you wouldn’t put in your body.

Notsoplainjane -February 15, 2014, 11:37PM

And the ratio is completely wrong on this recipe.. It would be 4 tablespoons of beeswax. Not 1 cup! It is 2 part beeswax to 1 part rest of recipe.. This is why everyone’s Chapstick is turning out too hard.

free makeup samples -February 22, 2014, 7:40AM

My brother suggested I would possibly like this website.

He was entirely right. This submit truly
made my day. You can not consider just how a lot time I had spent for this info!
Thank you!

Sasha -March 13, 2014, 11:40AM

Really good best lip balm ever

Jane -April 9, 2014, 7:18PM

Great tutorial thank you but can you tell me if there is a substitute for the bees wax? I am allergic and may have a reaction.

escort in miami fl -April 16, 2014, 11:52PM

Great post, veery informative. I ponder why the opposite specialists of this
sectoor don’t realize this. You should proceed your writing.
I’m sure, you have a huge readers’ base already!

Nadia -May 6, 2014, 8:50AM

Just concerned because tea tree oil is toxic if ingested, including via licking.

Not sure it’s safe to include it as an essential oil here.

Andrea Hudson -May 13, 2014, 7:37PM

Ya! for natural lip balms!

Me and my friends started making our own lip balms too and it was soo amazing to see how much better they worked vs stuff you buy at the store. Before I started using natural lip balms I had to apply lip balm several times a day, now I can apply once in the morning and once before I go to bed and I am good to go all day.

We were so impressed that we even started selling our natural lip balm concoctions and people love it : )

Andrea Hudson -May 13, 2014, 7:45PM

P.S. Here is a website that lists essential oils that are ok to use on the lips.

Essential oils are very potent so you definitely wanna be careful with them, especially when it comes to sensitive skin areas like your lips and with ingesting them.

Hope this helps anyone venturing to make their own natural lip balms. : )
TurtleCreekStore.com

Maria -June 20, 2014, 5:54PM

What’s another alternative for vitamin E oil?