Hair Tutorial: The Meadow Twist

Post image for Hair Tutorial: The Meadow Twist

I’m pretty clueless when it comes to hair and styling it in different ways, so I love finding hairstyles that look cool and are really easy to do. Case in point, the Meadow Twist, which we named after our bohemian Free People girl.  It looks so pretty, and can be done in just a few minutes with only one elastic head band! It’s a great, versatile holiday style that can be embellished by adding accessories like flowers or headpieces.

head bands

What you need: an elastic headband – I like using one with a similar color to my hair so it isn’t noticeable.

meadow twist

Start by placing the headband on top of your hair as pictured. If you have bangs like me, you can put the headband underneath the bangs at this point or later when you’re finished with the twisting.

meadow twist

Take the first section of hair on one side, and tuck it over the headband, pulling it through the inside of the headband as pictured.

meadow twist

Continue this process, adding more hair as you go until you reach the back of your head. Repeat the same process on the other side.

meadow twist

By the time you get to the back, you can simply tuck the remaining hair into the band – if it isn’t staying put, add a few bobby pins. My hair is really thin and slippery but it has stayed remarkably well without any bobby pins!

meadow twist

If you have bangs, pull them out over the headband to hide it. If you don’t have bangs, when you start with step one push the headband back on your head a bit and twist the front pieces of your hair on each side over the headband to cover it.

meadow twist

I like leaving a few loose ends out to give this a slightly messy look. Once your Meadow Twist is finished, you can dress it up a bit by adding flowers for a pretty, bohemian look!

meadow twist

Here’s a tip: leave it in overnight and you’ll have wavy hair the next day!

I’m wearing the Freeport Plaid Shirtdress.

More beauty tips from the BLDG 25 Blog.

Tags: , , , ,

Comments

Erika @Sausage Jar -October 25, 2012, 9:14AM

I have never tried doing anything like this, but I guess doing it with hair pins is much more difficult.

Jenny Lane -October 25, 2012, 10:02AM

This is BEAUTIFUL. It looks like it could be even be tinkered with for medium and shorter bob-hairstyles too! Free People, you continue to blow my mind.

Marle -October 25, 2012, 10:13AM

Love the look! I do this all the time! If you do this in the morning and sleep in it at the night the next day you can take it out and you will have beautiful curls! Two hairstyles in one!

Leisa -October 25, 2012, 10:25AM

GREAT idea! Thank you. Easy hair tutorials are my absolute fave from FP. You save us career girls!

Jessica -October 25, 2012, 4:13PM

Love this look! Along with the flower crown! You don have to be getting married to wear a flower crown right? If so, I have been getting married everyday this past week!

Melody Sage -October 25, 2012, 6:19PM

Lovely look, so medieval. I am going to have to try this. Thanks for the tip!

paige -October 25, 2012, 6:49PM

this is seriously the best thing I’ve seen in a while, I always try to do things with my hair but they always seem more complicated than they look in the picture but this is fool-proof. I’m in love!

anonymous -October 27, 2012, 1:24AM

tried this today for the first time and it was amazing! It gave me the best vintage vibe, i got tons of complements and when i took it out i was left with some pretty great curls, thanks free people :)

Bret -October 27, 2012, 6:33PM

Is there any way you guys could do a diy or something of how everyone in your offices get your hair to be so effortlessly beautiful everyday!? I’m serious. When it’s down and just slightly curly and looks perfectly messy – I need to know! And if it’s natural, I swear…

Maria -October 31, 2012, 8:42AM

This is the original tutorial http://youtu.be/aYxS1ohz4Ao its meant to give you awesome NO-HEAT curls, you can even sleep with it, and wake up with perfect hair!

chelsea -November 7, 2012, 8:45PM

It looks lovely if you add a few braids in your hair before you do this.

Jazzy -November 9, 2012, 10:14PM

I really like this idea! th way the flowers are its really cute for flowergirl, bridesmaid and even a bride!

Lydia -November 19, 2012, 6:17PM

nice, but kinda sucks if you don’t have bangs….

Hannah -December 27, 2012, 9:18PM

There’s a far easier way to do this that doesn’t require a headband! You can simply pull your hair back into a ponytail, make a “nest” (as though you were going to flip it inside out), twist the remaining pony until it can be tucked into the nest. And it needs about 4 or 5 bobby pins. It may sound complicated, but it honestly takes far less time than wrapping it around the elastic. It’s my favorite fix for a bad hair day!

Designer Hair Headbands -September 22, 2013, 10:59PM

Very lovely twist! Love the flowers.