How To Create A Cozy Atmosphere In Your Home

Post image for How To Create A Cozy Atmosphere In Your Home

When the holidays come, with them come feelings of coziness, peace and comfort. I think of evenings spent with family and friends baking cookies, drinking hot chocolate, and enjoying the warmth of the great indoors. Those warm feelings come largely from being around the people you love – but there are a bunch of things you can do to achieve an indoor space that emits coziness from every room. Here are my tips on how to create a cozy atmosphere in your home.

Click on images for sources; top image source.

1. Start with your bed

Cozy Bed

Cozy Bed

Cozy Bed

Your bed is the comfiest, coziest place of all, so you should do all you can to make sure it’s totally fit for snuggling up inside. Position your bed in the corner of your room – if you have a little nook with a low, angled ceiling, even better. The small space created by the intersecting walls will allow you to feel safe and warm. You can also hang a sheet or piece of fabric above your bed (as seen above) to achieve a similar effect. Throw lots of different-textured blankets on top of your comforter and top off your bed with every pillow you can find, and you’ll have yourself the bed of your dreams.

2. Set up string lights

String Lights

Flameless Fire Pit

Cozy Lights

Cozy String Lights

There is something about lights strung around a room that makes me feel so at home. I just hung some around my window as you can see above (please excuse the Instagram photo, ha!) and I think I might just keep them there year-round. One string of lights goes such a long way! In case you didn’t see our post from earlier this month, that little flameless fire pit was a DIY of ours. So cute, so simple, and so easy to make.

3. Strike a match

Cozy Fireplace

Cozy Candles

If I had a real fireplace, you better believe I’d be using that thing every day, but for now I’m using candles as a way to create coziness in an instant. Light a bunch in your kitchen, bathroom, living room – all over! The flickers of light will soothe your mind while the tiny flames work together to warm up your entire house.

4. Add a personal touch

Cozy Floor

A cozy home is a home that’s lived in; a home that shows you’ve been there. I love the idea of adding unexpected details somewhere, like these diamonds painted onto this wooden floor, to display your personality in your home.

5. Put on your coziest socks

Cozy Socks

I love turning the heat up a bit in my apartment and walking around in shorts and cozy socks. The way soft socks can make your feet feel is something that just can’t be matched with shoes on!  Plus, kicking your shoes off cause you to feel at home, allowing your mind to fully relax.

6. Bake something!

Baking

Baking is the perfect way to give your home a cozy feeling in the winter. The actual activity brings warmth to the heart and soul, while the treats in the oven heat up your home and fill it with deliciously sweet scents all at once.

Read more of our tips on creating home atmospheres.

Tags:

Comments

Megan -November 27, 2012, 10:20AM

I felt cozy just reading this post :)

Stella Marie -November 27, 2012, 2:47PM

wow thats so pretty, i love the small fireplace and the high knee socks most, where do you get those??

Lauren -November 27, 2012, 3:12PM

I adore this post.
It’s full of what the Danish call hyggle … which is cozy. All the tea lights and twinkle lights and knit things.
I’m going to need this list when I move back to Scandinavia come the New Year, into a studio apartment that will require much TLC to get me through the winter months!

Ladaisi Blog
Ladaisi Etsy

ellie -November 27, 2012, 5:00PM
fp brigette -November 27, 2012, 6:25PM

Ellie, I have those!! I almost included them in this post! They are the best, best, best, ever.

fp brigette -November 27, 2012, 6:27PM

Stella, we have a bunch of awesome socks on our site — you can see them here!

diyearte by L & S -November 28, 2012, 6:52AM

beautiful pics :)

DIY and more:
diyearte by L & S

Holly Cromer -November 28, 2012, 1:49PM

So many gorgeous photos in this post <3

Amber -November 28, 2012, 3:24PM

LOVE everything about this post. Especially the ceiling idea…I have to figure out a way to do that in my apartment. :)

Paola -November 28, 2012, 8:32PM

Thank you so much for this post!!! It’s so inspiring!! :) Happy Holidays!

Emily -November 29, 2012, 12:50AM

sooo many of these things i want to incorporate into my home! if only i didn’t have a spastic kitten!

Meg -December 12, 2012, 10:34AM

More decor! More decor! I know you’re busy, but I wish the home decor posts were more frequent. They are my favorite part of this blog :)

Lacey -December 18, 2012, 6:26PM

I absolutely love your lace curtians, I really want some like that! where did you find those?

Nikki -January 9, 2013, 7:41PM

love this!

Laura Hudson -February 4, 2013, 1:27PM

How did you hang/drape the sheet over the bed? That would make a great Decor DIY!

Jenny Ekberg -February 19, 2013, 5:08PM

I remember that as a child, I always thought our home was so cosy. I lived with my mum in what I realise now was the crappiest part of town, in a tiny, quite ugly, house. But inside it was wonderful. We had no money but mum put together an eclecting, warm home from mostly second hand finds. Lots of unmatching chairs, hand made rag rugs, bright cushions, candles. It smelled like coffee, home-baked buns and chocolate. I loved it. Even the little garden was wonderful; she really fought to turn it into a green haven, lots of mixed height plants, trees, etc.

Jenny Ekberg -February 19, 2013, 5:09PM

I remember that as a child, I always thought our home was so cosy. I lived with my mum in what I realise now was the crappiest part of town, in a tiny, quite ugly, house. But inside it was wonderful. We had no money but mum put together an eclecting, warm home from mostly second hand finds. Lots of unmatching chairs, hand made rag rugs, bright cushions, candles. It smelled like coffee, home-baked buns and chocolate. I loved it. Even the little garden was wonderful; she really fought to turn it into a green haven, lots of mixed height plants, trees, etc….

karen millen fashion online store -May 27, 2013, 3:16AM

Pretty part of content. I simply stumbled upon your web site and in accession capital to say that I get actually enjoyed account your weblog posts. Anyway I will be subscribing on your augment or even I success you get right of entry to consistently fast.

karen millen summer clothing online -May 27, 2013, 3:16AM

I must thank you for the efforts you have put in penning this site. I am hoping to check out the same high-grade blog posts from you later on as well. In truth, your creative writing abilities has motivated me to get my very own site now ;)

karen millen womens shop online -May 27, 2013, 3:17AM

I simply couldn’t go away your web site before suggesting that I really loved the standard info a person provide for your visitors? Is gonna be back steadily in order to investigate cross-check new posts

karen millen online clothing store -May 27, 2013, 3:17AM

I always used to study post in news papers but now as I am a user of internet thus from now I am using net for articles, thanks to web.

Rohit -June 27, 2013, 3:41AM

A few blackout curtians can add up to the coziness,

Residual Income -October 3, 2013, 9:16PM

One of the keys to getting rich and creating wealth is to understand the
different ways in which income can be generated.
Vi – Salus has a very unique commission structure
that allows its distributors to be paid eight different ways.
Having a steady stream of earnings allows you to explore new niches and regularly test
new products and promotional techniques to see what is most effective for you.

norwex -October 15, 2013, 1:38PM

Know neighbor that has a fleet of dead cars in their lawn.
The cloths are actually guaranteed for two years but
generally last longer than that. Then there is the possibility of acquiring an incapacitating condition like cancer or MS, for example.

チャンルー ネックレス -October 25, 2013, 10:08PM

チャンルー ブレス 作り方 チャンルー ネックレス http://www.halloween-supreme.com/ブレスレット、バングル-0q9-4.html/