DIY Mason Jar Snow Globe

Post image for DIY Mason Jar Snow Globe

Every year when I was growing up and my parents put out our holiday decorations, my favorite thing was a somewhat large snow globe with a miniature winter scene inside. It played music and I would turn it over and over in my tiny hands, watching the little flecks of “snow” fall to the bottom. These days, snow globes have become one of my favorite crafts this time of year. They are so easy to make and are the cutest decorations for your home or at your desk. Read on to learn how to make one yourself!

diy mason jar snow globe

What you need: A mason jar, krazy glue, glycerin (I found it in the baking section at A.C. Moore), distilled water, glitter, and figurines to put inside.

diy mason jar snow globe

Start by deciding which figurines you want to use and where you want to place them – once they are glued in you won’t be able to change them!

diy mason jar snow globe

Take the lid of the mason jar and remove it from the outer metal ring. Turn it upside down and use the krazy glue to attach the figurines.

diy mason jar snow globe

While the glue is drying (it only takes a few minutes if you use krazy glue), fill the mason jar almost to the top with water.  Then add a dash of the glycerin – this has a syrupy consistency that makes the glitter drift around in the water and take longer to sink to the bottom.

diy mason jar snow globe

Pour in the glitter – you can use as much as you want!

diy mason jar snow globe

Apply the krazy glue to the outer rim of the mason jar lid, and place it back on the jar. Screw the lid on tightly and let sit for a bit to be sure it’s completely dry.

diy mason jar snow globe

While the first one dried I decided to make a second one!

diy mason jar snow globe

diy mason jar snow globe

Once your jars are dry, turn them upside down, shake gently and let it snow!

diy mason jar snow globe

Side note – I think the blue color came from the miniature trees, but I love how it looks! To achieve this effect you could add a couple drops of blue food coloring :).

diy mason jar snow globe

mason jar snow globe

Photos by Julia.

More DIY projects from the BLDG 25 Blog.

Tags: , , , ,

Comments

megan -November 21, 2012, 9:38AM

These are adorable!! Cant wait to make a few…

Lune Vintage -November 21, 2012, 10:08AM

So simple but very pretty – plus another use for mason jars. Thank you for another addition to my holiday craft list!

Fee -November 21, 2012, 10:41AM

I love this. Going to make a whole bunch and give some out as gifts.

jenny -November 21, 2012, 11:10AM

aaaw! so cute! thank you for sharing this. it´s perfect!

Lilly -November 21, 2012, 1:16PM

This is a really good idea and DIY!

diyearte by L & S -November 22, 2012, 7:22PM

beautiful DIY!!

DIY and more:
diyearte by L & S

Samantha -November 22, 2012, 7:28PM

I adore this idea! I’m definitely going to be trying this as soon as I possibly can. <3

Jade -November 23, 2012, 2:00PM

Hi there-Love this idea. Can anyone recommend places to get these kind of figurines at an affordable price?

Megan -November 23, 2012, 5:04PM

Yes, I had the same question as Jade. Where can you find these kind of figures?

Riley -November 24, 2012, 9:00AM

Hello, I just picked up the trees at a hobby lobby

Monika -November 25, 2012, 3:10PM

I found figurines just like these in AC Moore where I got the rest of the supplies. They came in a pack of 10 for about $8 :)

Godwin -November 26, 2012, 2:54PM

pleas carry on oooo

KG -December 19, 2012, 11:33AM

I just made a snow globe the other day and it bugged me that the dye on the christmas tree was turning my water a different color…to prevent that I just left the tree in a cup of water for about a day and occasionally replaced the water, and as a result my snow globe water stayed clear and it turned out cuter than ever! Easy Fix(:

fp julia -December 19, 2012, 4:41PM

KG – great idea! thanks for the tip :)

Linda -December 21, 2012, 3:49PM

Looking forward to making these with my grandchildren. They love craft projects. Thanks for the idea.

WhiteFeather -December 22, 2012, 1:18PM

I got animals at the dollar store, for $1/pack of 8.

Jackeline -December 27, 2012, 5:02PM

This project sure takes me back to my childhood. My mother used to do a lot of winter bottling and she made preserves, so we often had tons of mason jars around the house. Sometimes we didn’t even use holiday oriented figurines. I used my brother’s military action figures, or pine cones and twigs. My brother once got the brilliant idea of affixing double sided lightning stickers to the insides of the mason jars. Now that was a nice effect! Once we added a few drops of blue food coloring and glitter to a mason jar snow globe, and glued a mini space shuttle to the lid—instant NASA in a bottle! These days I schedule routine arts and crafts DIY time with my four kids, and host DIY kids parties every so often. I keep track of events and art supply shopping lists with my Mom Agenda iPad app (http://www.momagenda.com/ipad-app), the best thing for busy artsy moms since I don’t know what!

Chris -January 2, 2013, 5:52PM

I represent Ball’s canning site and I can say that it is always a pleasure to discover when people use mason jar’s to create unique crafts. Thanks for your share, and I also like the blue tint. :).

Crystal -January 14, 2013, 9:47PM

I was wondering if anyone has had any trouble with the glitter either clumping up or sticking to whatever figureines you have in the jar? Thats what happened to me :-(

María Isabel -February 21, 2013, 4:15PM

My sisters elementary teacher loved her so much. She made her one of these, but instead it had a cute mouse in it and its colors were a lot brighter. :)

María Isabel -February 21, 2013, 4:16PM

Still, I love this so much more.

Sorelle Home -March 22, 2013, 9:22AM

Great piece of art. Making this seems easy after reading the steps. I will definitely try this. I think the one without liquid looks better as compared to the one having liquid.

DIY Craft Projects -April 19, 2013, 9:48PM

Beautiful DIY! thank you!

Carmella -April 22, 2013, 8:45PM

I can’t wait to try this!!

Knitascarf -August 13, 2013, 12:20PM
Shreyans Deora -October 16, 2013, 2:58AM

The glitter in my jar is going to the top and not to the bottom. I assumed that was coz the glycerine was more and the glitter was too light, thus I even added more distilled water so as to make the whole liquid lighter. But not helping. Please help.

Judie -November 6, 2013, 2:43PM

I made these with little miniature trees that I got from a model train supply, and some little ceramic houses. A few hours after sealing up the project, the water turned cloudy and gray looking. Any idea why?

jenny -December 22, 2013, 12:11PM

Anyone have the solutions to clumping n glitter not going down?

heather lee -December 24, 2013, 9:24PM

I’ve been making tons of these to hand out for Xmas…and most are amazing and totally fun for my 4 year old to help with. But two of them the glitter did clump I stuck my fingers in and pinched the clumps and they fell apart. But 1 actually became so cloudy u couldn’t see inside. I’ve changed the water 3 times with no change…after an hour or so it goes cloudy again. Can anyone help me to understand why it keeps doing this?? Please. And some people mentioned where to get the figurines….well sweeties…just watch garage sales. You can’t get any cheaper and u can find amazing things. I’ve completely gutted and redone my kitchen with things from garage sales. But if u don’t like garage sales my 4 year old made one for his gramps with an action figure from his toy box. It was a batman figurine. And it looks great. So garage sales, toy boxes, anywhere. But don’t let the clumpy glitter get u down its fixable if not a little messy. Lol but the cloudy water is something I can’t seem to figure out.

heather lee -December 24, 2013, 9:26PM

Oh and jenny ur glitter not going down……might be to much glycerin???? Try diluting it . If that don’t do it add more glycerin. But mine did that and I just water it down some and they sank.

Belinda -January 14, 2014, 10:47PM

Snow Globes are my favorites. Although I have never made one; I love them! Yours are adorable. One question. Can the figures or decorations be glued in the bottom of the jar instead of the lid? Rationale: So that the finished jar is sitting upright instead of upside down.

Baking Friends Forever -January 25, 2014, 6:41AM

Thanks for this idea of distilled water and glycerin, I made these with extra minion toys from Happy Meals, they turned out awesome!