I’m constantly on the lookout for homemade beauty ideas, and lately I’ve been finding so many that all include one common ingredient: honey. To be honest, I’m not surprised. Honey is naturally hydrating, helping to lock moisture into your skin; it has anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory properties, so it’s great to use on problem skin; and it’s packed with vitamins and minerals like calcium, potassium, iron, and magnesium. Oh, and it’s filled with antioxidants, too, which keep your skin looking young and fresh. Not to mention the fact that it tastes delicious. It’s pretty clear that honey is an excellent ingredient to incorporate into your daily beauty routine. Here’s how to use honey for hair, face, and body!
Maple Syrup & Honey Hair Mask
I tried this for the first time over the weekend and absolutely loved it. The treatment smells delicious and will leave your hair incredibly moisturized, soft and shiny. Just be warned – it can make quite the mess!
3 tablespoons pure maple syrup
1 teaspoon honey
1. Pour the ingredients into a small glass container.
2. Microwave for about 10-20 seconds, or until the ingredients can be mixed.
3. Mix together and wait until the mixture is cool enough to touch.
4. Apply the mixture to dry, untangled hair. Avoid applying to your roots, as the mixture may cause them to appear oily. I applied the mixture starting at my ends and worked up to my chin.
5. Put your hair in a shower cap and wait at least 30 minutes, allowing the mixture to penetrate your hair. If you don’t have a shower cap, you can use plastic wrap!
6. Rinse your hair in a lukewarm shower, wash with a bit of shampoo, and you’re all set!
Spiced Honey Face Mask
This treatment smells amazing, as well, and seems perfect to use around the holidays! In addition to honey’s anti-bacterial and moisturizing properties, all three ingredients are anti-inflammatories, helping to reduce redness and swelling.
2 tablespoons honey
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1. Mix the ingredients together to form a thick paste.
2. Apply the paste to your face and let sit for 30 minutes.
3. Rinse off with lukewarm water, moving your fingertips over your skin in circular motions for maximum exfoliation. :)
Brown Sugar & Honey Body Scrub
I LOVE sugar scrubs because they’re the best exfoliators in the world, and they’re the easiest things to make. This one is extra incredible because it smells like you probably want to eat it – and you actually can. It also makes an awesome gift!
½ cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 teaspoons honey
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Mix ingredients together until you have an even consistency. If the mixture is too dry for your liking, add a bit more olive oil and honey. If it’s too liquidly, add a bit more brown sugar.
2. Apply the mixture to your skin in the bath or shower like you would do with any scrub. It’s also great to keep by the sink to use just on your hands!
So there you have it: 3 ways to incorporate honey into your beauty routine. Do you guys have any honey beauty recipes that you swear by? We’d love to hear!
Photos by Brigette.
More homemade beauty ideas we love.