DIY: How To Diamond Smock Your T-Shirt

Post image for DIY: How To Diamond Smock Your T-Shirt

UPDATE: This previously ran on October the 30th but as we know everyone likes to update their basic tee every once in a while we wanted to bring it back.

Smocking has always been a craft that has intrigued me, I love how it creates more depth and volume in flat fabrics and the pattern is so pretty when finished. This decorative technique developed in England and was extensively used in the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries in work wear. It has developed over the years and now is incorporated into modern designs. This weekend I wanted to add interest to a plain white shirt I had, so I grabbed a needle and thread and smocked the waist. Here’s how I did it:

What you need:

A white t-shirt that is slightly oversized

Thread

A needle

Scissors

A ruler with 1cm dimensions

A fabric pencil

Step one: Turn your t-shirt inside out and mark with the fabric pencil rows of 1cm squares, you can have as many rows as you like, I chose four.

Step two: Draw a line going through every other square diagonally from top left to bottom right and then on the next row make sure you go in the other direction from top right to bottom.

Step three: With your needle and thread, sew the corners of each marked square together, depending on the direction. then do a tight knot.

Step four: Keep doing this on every row, making sure you’re going in the direction of the line through the middle.

Step five: When all the rows are complete, turn your t-shirt right side out and see the pretty diamond pattern that has been created.

It’s a great way to give a little bit of a waist to a plain t-shirt, so if you are a little bored of your basic tops, try this, it’s easy and satisfying.

Tags: ,

Comments

Somchiyah -October 30, 2012, 10:44AM

I love it! absolutely creative!!!!!!! I am def doing this!!!!

Kelly -October 30, 2012, 10:44AM

This looks amazing! Also a bit difficult but I will definitely save this for when I get bored. Thanks!

Mackenzie -October 30, 2012, 10:49AM

Such a cute idea thanks for sharing :)

diyearte by L & S -October 30, 2012, 12:04PM

woooow great idea!!!!

DIY and more:

kay9311 -October 30, 2012, 12:18PM

Wait, do you leave the back unsmocked? silly question yes

Zaggora Girl -October 30, 2012, 3:48PM

This is simply AWESOME!

Julie -October 30, 2012, 3:55PM

Amazing, really effective on a plain t shirt!

Mandapanda -October 30, 2012, 5:23PM

Ok I know this is a stupid question, but do you leave the back plain?

Rachel -October 30, 2012, 5:46PM

Such a wonderful idea! Questions though: Steps 3 and 4 are a bit confusing. How do you start the sewing (which row do you start on) and do you go in the same directional line as the ones drawn in each box? I’m starting to think that a video tutorial would be good for this DIY.

Stella -October 31, 2012, 7:11AM

Wow!!! You are just fantastic. You made a simple dress beautiful with your creativity.

FP Jemma -October 31, 2012, 8:56AM

Hi Kay9311, yes I left the back un-smocked so it just looks fitted at the front

FP Jemma -October 31, 2012, 9:09AM

Hi Manda, yes I left the back plain but if you want it more fitted you can also smock the back

FP Jemma -October 31, 2012, 9:11AM

Hi Rachel, I started the sewing on the top line, this makes it easier, and yes you sew in the same direction as the line you draw in the box. Hope this helps

mandapanda -October 31, 2012, 11:01AM

Do you cut the string after every knot?

fp jemma -October 31, 2012, 11:37AM

Hi Manda, yes you do :)

Jaqueline -November 1, 2012, 4:02PM

The sewing must be done by rows?: acording to the drawed lines, go over every squared on the same row an then start to sewing the row under the one you have finished?

kay9311 -November 3, 2012, 12:39PM

I did this to two shirts, and I have decided it looks better on woven fabric. The shirts I used were knits, but the shirt in the tutorial is a woven. Knits don’t have enough body for this in my opinion

Cristina -November 7, 2012, 6:43AM

Oh!! It’s a very beautiful solution for simpli Shirts!! I think I’ll do that in twice of my shirts!

Why you don’t pass to my blog???

Have a nice day,

cosesdnoies.blogspot.com

ABI -November 12, 2012, 11:06AM

This is a very original way to create a new top! :D

Heidi -November 26, 2012, 11:21AM

This is a wonderful idea. I love the smocked look. Thank you for posting.

Heid
Exede

fitri -December 10, 2012, 3:01AM

cool
and wonderfulllll

Gédane -February 15, 2013, 1:53AM

it’s not cool! take the idea and the picture without mentioning the name of my blog

Fenwyn -June 24, 2013, 7:08AM

I did it, turned out pretty awesome but works only with elastic fabrics.

Not -July 11, 2013, 2:36PM

Do you stitch a straight stitch at the bottom?

Danielle -September 13, 2013, 12:55PM

This is so cool! Definitely doing this!

women toms -April 15, 2014, 10:21PM

According to the report, the woman’s alleged attackers are described as being a 20 year old black male, about 6 feet 2 inches tall and weighing 235 pounds, and a 21 year old white male, about 6 feet tall and weighing about 180 pounds.2 who shopped at Orange Street Food Farm in college return as new owners

Meaghan -May 2, 2014, 8:31PM

It looks like the close-up picture (with the needle going through the fabric in the center row) is taken from a different project. The lines crossing through the middle of the squares is different. In the close-up, they’re just dashes, but they’re very precise in the other pictures. It just seems strange to me…

kellbell -May 18, 2014, 1:04PM

So we cut the string and tie a knot on each square with a line or do we sew through an entire row and then cut the string?

louboutin femme juive du prophete mohamed -October 5, 2014, 9:21PM

Today Bin Suroor was backed from 10 1 to 6 1 with Coral to win his fifth trainers’ championship and his first since 2004. He relieved the Godolphin siege on Saturday by sending out Farhh for a runaway Group One success at Newbury. Monday’s results then enabled Bin Suroor to distance himself once and for all from Zarooni’s rogue methods. Even as the seven new positives shockingly renewed the scandal, both the sheikh and the BHA were relieved to have a safe pair of hands for the relicensing of Moulton Paddocks.

ugg ルームシューズ メンズ -November 8, 2014, 1:31AM

;サイトサイトこれについて|スパム問題問題を持っていますか私もブロガーだ、と私はいた好奇心あなたの状況を、 私たちの多く開発しているいくつかの素晴らしい手続き、私たちが見ていると為替と戦略他人 、興味を持っている場合|電子メールの電子メール私に撃つなぜ。
ugg ルームシューズ メンズ http://www.binhthuancpv.org.vn/Images/news/UGG/20141105181004-38crf6.html

sac gucci 2014 -November 8, 2014, 1:31AM

Fox new comic reality series features one N. Paul Todd, CEO of IOCOR, who pits 12 MBA types against each other in competition for a big cash prize and an even bigger job at his billion dollar investment firm.

モンクレール ダウン レディース moka -November 8, 2014, 1:32AM

これはです素晴らしいブログは、かもしれないあなたがあること関与そうすることでインタビューに関して|あなたはどれだけどのように デザインさを、それ?もしそうであればメールを受け取る!

モンクレール スプリングコート 2014 -November 8, 2014, 1:32AM

ほとんどあなた指摘 とそれは私を作る熟考理由はI していなかったことを supprisingly起こるとの前に、この光の以前にこの中を見ていないでした。 このピース本当に限りこの特定問題行く。 しかしそこに、現時点では実際にされているちょうど1問題私はしない快適居心地と実際 の|テーマにアイデアあなたの位置、許可私は参照何すべての残りの部分あなたの。指摘非常によく行わ加入者が}{言わなければならない。
モンクレール スプリングコート 2014 http://www.soundcenter.com.br/newsletter/images/moncler/20141105212603-87vn.html

gucci bag Cyber Monday 2014 -November 8, 2014, 1:32AM

Pourtant, le march茅 de d茅tail de la jeunesse tend 脿 锚tre plus 脿 l’abri des r茅cessions 茅conomiques que les autres cat茅gories de d茅taillants, et elle rebondit plus vite, parce que les adolescents passent g茅n茅ralement l’argent qu’ils font, dit Perkins.

モンクレール ベスト レディース -November 8, 2014, 1:32AM

そこにちょっと! これはいくらかオフトピックしかし 私が持っていた依頼する。 建設ない仕事十分に確立されたブログなどあなたは必要とする大量大量のをたくさん? 私はブランドの新しい毎日しかししかし私は私の中で書くのですブログを実行しているにログオン日常的。 私は私がブログを開始したいと思いシェア私と気持ちオンライン。 どんな種類のいずれかのあなたが持っているなら、私に知らせてくださいため提案かのヒントを新しいブログの所有者。 サンキューそれを感謝!
モンクレール ベスト レディース http://www.piramidenf.com/cgi-bin/moncler/20141105195017-92gd.html

モンクレール 品揃え -November 8, 2014, 1:33AM

私はよく分からない理由正確な理由が、この私のために遅いウェブサイト信じられないほど非常に極端ロードしています。 問題の問題か、ある他の誰がこのをしている問題私の最後に? と問題がまだ存在するかどうか私は戻ってチェックします。
モンクレール 品揃え http://www.lottosport.com.br/files_upload/point/moncler/20141105210354-33oi.html