DIY Natural Lip And Cheek Stain Using Beets

Post image for DIY Natural Lip And Cheek Stain Using Beets

Have you ever cut into a beet and stared in awe at the gorgeously intense pink-red color, wishing you owned some blush or lipstick in that very same hue? Same here. Beets have a beautiful color to them – and it happens to be flattering on just about every skin tone. That’s why when I came across some recipes for an all-natural beet lip and cheek stain, I was totally down to make it. There are a few different mixtures for this circulating the internet, but I chose this one because I already had some vegetable glycerin on-hand.

What you need:

Beet Lip and Cheek Stain Ingredients

1 beet (preferably organic)
3 tablespoons vegetable glycerin (I got mine at Whole Foods)
Vegetable peeler
Knife
Funnel
Double boiler (or pot with smaller bowl)
Glass container with lid
What you do

What you do:

1. Peel your beet and cut into cubes. The cubes should be relatively small, but large enough that they won’t fit through your funnel.

Chopped Beets

2. Add the vegetable glycerin and beets to your double boiler (or makeshift double boiler, as in my case) and let simmer for at least 20 minutes.

DIY Beet Lip and Cheek Stain

You should soon see that gorgeous pink-red color bleed into the glycerin.

DIY Beet Lip and Cheek Stain Cookin

3. After about 20 minutes, remove your pot from heat and funnel the liquid into a glass container. This amount of time creates a subtle-colored makeup. For a bolder color, leave your mixture on the stove for longer. Allow the mixture to cool completely before applying to your skin.

Beet Lip and Cheek Stain

4. To apply, dip a cotton ball or cosmetic sponge into the liquid and dab onto your lips or cheeks!

Beet Lip and Cheek Stain Application

Face!

This was my first time making this product, so I’m not sure how long it will last. Keep it refrigerated and you should be good for at least a month! If you notice a change in the smell or color of your makeup over time, throw it out and make some more. :)

As with all new products, you should first perform a spot test by applying the makeup somewhere on your body and waiting 24 hours to see how your skin reacts.

More homemade beauty products we love!

Photos by Brigette.

Tags: ,

Comments

julene -January 4, 2013, 2:38PM

Yay! Been looking for an easy lip and cheek stain DIY for a while now. Most require the use of beet powder which is hard to find in my area. Love this simple two ingredient only recipe! Thanks so much! :)

claire -January 4, 2013, 11:50PM

im pretty sure pomegranate would work too since they stain your fingers when you eat them!

Amy -January 5, 2013, 11:24PM

I have a well-known cheek stain that I LOVE and have been using for many years, but this cheap and natural stain is just what I NEED, not what I want.

Zoe -January 6, 2013, 12:30PM

will have to try this out

Zoe

amanda christina -January 8, 2013, 12:54AM

So excited to try this out, I got the vegetable glycerin today! But I’d like to know what’s another DIY use for the glycerin since it was a bit pricey? Keep the tutorials coming!

fp brigette -January 8, 2013, 11:50AM

Hi Amanda Christina! So happy you’re going to try it, I hope you love it! So far I have used vegetable glycerin for this body spray, which is so easy to make, and I’m sure we’ll post more DIYs with it in the future :)

Lindsay -January 9, 2013, 3:07AM

Long story short, I LOVE IT!!! Perfect color for my face and skin tone, looks amazing as blush too. I am going to wear it everyday now as my make up and its so simple!

Nicole -January 9, 2013, 2:00PM

This is great! I would just need to find a sealed container so I could take it on the go.

Kelly -March 4, 2013, 11:19PM

Hi,

Thanks for the great recipe! I’m trying it out as we speak. Has anyone determined how long it stays good for if you don’t refrigerate?

lexi -April 22, 2013, 9:48PM

I love this! I can’t wait to try it! Any know if you can mix it with something to make it a powder? or a cream? Im trying to think of things I could mix the liquid with to make it more portable! Any ideas?

Cathy -April 29, 2013, 6:51PM

Is it ok if i use olive oil instead of glycerin or anything similar? Where i live there´s no vegetable glycerin.

Love the diy :)

Jen -May 3, 2013, 7:36PM

Has anyone used coconut oil instead of glycerin? Can’t wait to try this!

Faiza -May 18, 2013, 7:40AM

Hi Jen!

I did use coconut oil instead of vegetable glycerin and the results weren’t too good for me. It felt pretty oily on my skin and didn’t show up too much. I did not try it out with the actual vegetable glycerin yet but I might. Experiments, experiments. :)

Jesse Lu -May 20, 2013, 7:02PM

I am currently making my second batch of this great stuff. I added a couple drops of Vitamin E to the finished product and it kept well enough, UNrefrigerated, for about 2 months. The second time around I am making far less… just using about a tablespoon or so of glycerin as there is no way I could go through 3 T of this stuff in 2 months only. I used the vitamin E cause it’s a natural preservative, in case anyone is wondering.

Jen -May 22, 2013, 2:19AM

Thanks Faiza and Jesse Lu, for the tips :)

Sis -July 4, 2013, 12:23PM

when i finished doing the tint i mixed corn starch with the tint to get a powder blush with the same color… then when you have the correct consistency you just spoon it into a container and its ready to use.
BTW i love your blog so keep on the good job!

Suz -July 25, 2013, 7:48PM

Great great great blog! All these DIY posts are excellent – thank you!

Fina -October 17, 2013, 1:31AM

I tried both coconut oil and shea butter, and the beet just doesn’t leak out it’s color well enough. Glycerin is made to attract, and suck out moisture, which is why I think the beets only work well with using this method. Perhaps you could add the red glycerin as a tint for a lip balm? Haven’t tried it, but with a pinch of cocoa, and maybe even some strawberries or raspberries cooked in there just for flavor, it may be the ticket for a nice burgundy wine color. Even more natural for a lip stain.

5 Year Anniversary -November 4, 2013, 1:56PM

It’s really a nice and useful piece of info. I
am happy that you shared this helpful info with us.
Please keep us up to date like this. Thanks for sharing.

Logan -May 3, 2014, 7:01PM

How can I get Firefox 3 to stop logging me out everytime I close the browser?

Susu -July 3, 2014, 11:27AM

I used coconut oil at first and it didn’t pick up the color at all. This was disappointing because I hoped it would blend with my coffee infused coconut oil for a darker shade. I’m leaving the glycerine mix on my stove.for a while longer to achieve a deeper shade of red. I have Olive skin and would prefer a shade a touch darker than the one shown. I’m fighting the temptation to add some coffee grounds! I do wish I had some roller ball vials for this on the go!