Why We Love The Poncho

Post image for Why We Love The Poncho

The Poncho is an easy go-to during the winter months, a fun layer to add on top of your shirt, dress, and lightweight sweater. The Poncho throws me back to the 70’s when I used to admire Susan Dey on the sitcom The Partridge Family and watch the magical Stevie Nicks dance around playing sweet music.

Although its origin lies within the cultures of South and Central America, I love how over the years this formless yet decorative piece of clothing has been adapted by bohemian beauties of the 70’s and is still being worn these days as an item we choose to wear for an extra bit of warmth.

I remember the first time I bought a poncho, it was from a vintage store that I always drifted into every weekend. It was knitted with mohair wool and had a brown and cream square pattern. I wore it for maybe a month straight with my favorite skinny jeans and black ankle boots. It was so easy to just throw on and be cozy that I couldn’t help but pick it up every single day to wear.

poncho

poncho

poncho

poncho

Product: Woven Blanket Poncho , Journey Poncho, Hooded Poncho, Almost Famous Poncho

image source, image source , image source, image source , image source

Tags: , ,

Comments

Eva -January 5, 2013, 9:55AM

This is a fave Jemma <3 – I live in ponchos~ I have about 10 of them and love them all!

Bonnie -January 5, 2013, 11:47AM

My favorite go to accessory too Jemma….couldn’t live without them…also ruanna’s are also another cool adaptation of the poncho…I think most people’s complaint would be what kind of purse to wear with..I have found small cross-bodies to be the best, worn under my ponchos/ruanas.

Julia -January 6, 2013, 12:11AM

I have never worn a poncho but the vintage ones are very cool.

ZoeyByron -January 7, 2013, 11:04AM

The poncho is a wonderful way to stay warm with little effort of putting on. Great with jeans, slacks or prairie dresses.

FashionBrunett -January 9, 2013, 4:45PM

Hey Jemma, nice! I enjoyed the ponchos you choose for the first two pictures.
Do you think that ponchos are something fancy to wear in January? I thought maybe it’s just not the time now, because they’ve been so present during the last years. Also, I’d consider the general clothing behavior these current days more elegant, or directly punk-sporty, but just no hippy, I love it though!

Beachinchick -January 13, 2013, 7:13PM

Adorable style that I hope will stay around a while longer. I love ‘em!!!

Styledelmundo -January 20, 2013, 8:51AM

Ponchos are perfect for the cold months of the year or even for the slightly chilly summer evenings!

Jules -March 16, 2013, 1:35AM

I need a poncho now. Love all of these styles, look so warm and cozy!

Viv -March 17, 2013, 3:31PM

I used to have a purple knit poncho I wore all the time. When I first bought it, it was too large for me and that was ok because it was so comfortable. Every time I washed it, it shrank a little bit more. After 8 years, it was just a little thing and I couldn’t wear it any more. After looking at this page, I realize I need to buy another!