Makeup Tutorial: The Wing For Spring

Post image for Makeup Tutorial: The Wing For Spring

We asked our makeup artist Deanna Hagan what one of her favorite looks is for Spring, and she didn’t even hesitate – it’s all about the wing.  When shooting our January catalog in Amsterdam Deanna used the winged eye on several of the models, and we love the pretty and flirtatious element it adds to the face. It’s the perfect complement to a fresh face with little other makeup, or it can be used to vamp up an already glam look.  It would be a beautiful look for Valentine’s Day, or just for any old day you want to change up your look a little bit! The wing has the ability to completely transform the look of your face by giving your eye an alluring shape – the thing is, it’s not easy to do! It all depends on the shape of your eye and using the right kind of product and tools.  Watch the video below as Deanna demonstrates how to get the perfect wing for spring!

Makeup Tutorial: The Wing For Spring from FreePeople on Vimeo.

Mandi is wearing the Cold Shoulder Stripe Tee.

We love a bold black wing done with liquid eyeliner and a clean face for a fresh, flirty look that isn’t over the top.

winged eye tutorial

winged eye tutorial

1. Illamasqua Precision Ink Liquid Eyeliner in black – creates a beautiful liquid line almost like patent leather.

2. NARS Soft Touch Shadow Pencil in “Dark Rite.”

3. NARS Eyeshadow in “Outremer” – nice to use in addition to the blue liner, it helps set the line and also brings out the color’s vibrancy.

4. Q-tips Precision Tips – use with makeup remover to perfect the shape of your wing.

5. Bioderma Makeup Remover – a gentle, oil free makeup remover.

6. Makeup Forever Aqua Liners – these come in such fun colors to play around with for Spring and Summer!

More beauty tips from the BLDG 25 Blog.

Photos by Julia.

Tags: , , , , ,

Comments

ellie -January 18, 2013, 12:00PM

I feel like this should be common knowledge , same with the pony tail video :/

fp julia -January 18, 2013, 12:23PM

Haha you might think, but I didn’t have the first clue how to do this! ;)

Mandi -January 18, 2013, 12:37PM

Especially with liquid liner! its so tough for everyone!!

Morgan -January 18, 2013, 1:27PM

Actually let me tell you I went to school for make up and one of the most difficult things to master is the perfect wing!

sooz -January 18, 2013, 6:53PM

really love this look!! wish bioderma was easier to find in the US :(

Lydia -January 18, 2013, 8:17PM

ahh one of my friends wears winged eyeliner every day and they’re always symmetrical, never too thick, and start and end at the right spot! It’s sooo hard for me though

Nastia -January 19, 2013, 10:28AM

Hi, I was wondering what’s that song in the video? It’s lovely!

snow -January 20, 2013, 12:00AM

such a great tip to set it with powder! I’m going to try that next time.
Thanks for the great tutorial :)

Aurelija -January 20, 2013, 9:43AM

It just looks like my everyday make-up and I love it so much I can’t get bored of it!

Michelle -April 8, 2013, 9:16PM

Great tutorial on the winged eyeliner! You make it look so easy and I know from experience that it is not. Just takes practice and more practice. Thanks

Spooky -November 3, 2013, 2:35PM

Ok, the way you do it is to get a business card or one of those things guys have in their collars. Those flexible plastic things with a round end and a pointed end? Idk what they are called. Ok, so you get one and use that as a guide, placing it next to your eye. The plastic thing has the advantage of fitting right next to your eye, as it is smaller than a card. Use a small angled brush to draw in the wing with black eyeshadow. Repeat on the other side. Use a q tip dipped in makeup remover to clean up.

The powder creates a line you can leave, or use as a guide for liquid liner. And if you don’t get it even the first time, it’s much easier to clean up than anything else.

Spooky -November 3, 2013, 2:37PM

The card thing ends up looking like this. The line never curls up, which I think looks crazy.