Happy Foods: Saffron Lemonade with Blackberry Syrup

Post image for Happy Foods: Saffron Lemonade with Blackberry Syrup

The third post in this month’s happy foods recipe series from Kelsi Windmiller.

Saffron is made from the stigmas of the crocus flower. They are hand picked and dried, making it the most expensive spice in the world. Saffron has a beautiful color, aroma, and taste. It has also been known for its medicinal properties – ancient cultures believed the spice cured depression and caused euphoria. Add fresh lemonade and sweet blackberries to the mix and it is sure to make you smile!

Lemon3

blackberries lemons

Saffron Lemonade with Blackberry Syrup

1tsp Saffron
2c Lemon Juice
2½ c Sugar
5c Water + 1c Water +1c Water
1c Blackberries
Lots of Ice

In a medium saucepot combine sugar and 1c water.  Stir until sugar is dissolved and begins to boil. Add the berries and lower the heat, and let simmer until the berries have softened.  Remove from heat.  Break up the saffron using your fingers in the palm of your hand and stir it into the hot mixture -  be sure not to waste any! Let the syrup sit until cooled. Combine the lemon juice and water into a tall pitcher, and add the syrup and ice. Stir well and serve immediately!

saffron lemonade

More healthy recipes from the BLDG 25 Blog!

Tags: , , , ,

Comments

Jamie -February 24, 2013, 9:10AM

this sounds amazing, makes me desperate for spring.

Jessica M -February 24, 2013, 10:24AM

Wow, I never would have thought of adding saffron to a drink! That sounds amazing — really interested to give it a try and see what that tastes like. And all this recipe needs is a shot of vodka to go from teatime to cocktail hour ;)
jm http://www.threadandbones.com

jenny -February 24, 2013, 10:38AM

this sounds and looks so so good!

Megan -February 24, 2013, 11:49AM

Sounds delicious! I love lemonade, makes me think of the transition from spring into summer.

Charlotte -February 24, 2013, 12:00PM

Oooh, can’t wait to try this!! If only saffron wasn’t so expensive.

Xx http://worthwakingupfor.blogspot.co.uk/2013/02/let-them-eat-cake-in-leeds.html

Email Console -March 16, 2013, 3:00PM

Do you mind if I quote a couple of your articles as long as I provide credit and sources back to your webpage?
My blog is in the exact same area of interest as yours and my users would genuinely benefit from a lot of the information you present here.
Please let me know if this alright with you.
Cheers!

evey -May 12, 2013, 1:03PM

I love this I am making it for my family for mother’s day. It has the sugariness from the sugar and a little kick from the saffron. I can’t wait to see the look on their faces! :)