Do Movies Influence Your Style?

Post image for Do Movies Influence Your Style?

Have you ever watched a movie where you are inspired so much by the style of the characters that the very next day they inspire a look of yours? This happened to me a couple of days ago when I finally got around to watching Coco Chanel with Audrey Tautou. I spent the entire time drooling over her classic and sophisticated look, admiring every detail. Audrey merged together masculinity and femininity perfectly, showcasing fine classic vintage looks, after all she was representing the woman who defined “classic” in women’s fashion – Coco Chanel. I woke the next day pulling out my vintage shirts and chino pants trying to duplicate the looks I fell in love with. It’s always fun when a movie influences your style. We’d love to know if there are movies that influence your style, too!

coco chanel movie

coco chanel movie

coco chanel movie

vintage clothing

Vintage Yves St. Laurent Houndstooth Silk Blouse , Vintage Floral Embroidered Top, Vintage Wrangler Denim Shirt , Grant Oxford Shoes , FP X Juliet Cropped Bra , Side Comb

image source, image source, image source , image source

Tags: , , , ,

Comments

Lexie -March 8, 2013, 11:42AM

Today we have some random snow (I’m in New York). I needed to wear my massive brown parka with the faux-fur hood, so I actually went for a True Grit-inspired look today, with my suede snow boots, well worn jeans, hooded long sleeve brow shirt, and Mattie Ross cowgirl braids. It works surprisingly well. I’m dark haired and dark eyed with strong brows, and I’m actually pretty fond of the look.

Lissa -March 8, 2013, 11:45AM

I think female characters influences my style. Whenever I watch a movie with a gorgeous girl it inspires me to look my best!

Holly -March 8, 2013, 11:55AM

I’m sure there have been a few movies that have inspired a few looks for me, but I can’t think of any right now. I love bohemian clothes and movies.

Blacksburg wedding photographer, Holly Cromer

fp jemma -March 8, 2013, 12:24PM

@Lexie that sounds like a very cool look! Thanks for sharing!!

RockinPastries -March 8, 2013, 1:13PM

Ha! It all started with Kate Hudson’s role in “Almost Famous” for me… love her street style ever since…

Erin -March 8, 2013, 1:15PM

I would say it’s a healthy mix between Quentin Tarantino’s Death Proof Girls, Lisbeth Salander, and a bit of Mary Kate olsen in The Wackness.

angie -March 8, 2013, 1:36PM

i guess this will date me terribly, but Pretty In Pink changed my fashion life from the moment i saw it in middle school to today.

Georgia -March 8, 2013, 1:53PM

Not exactly a film, but Cassie and Effy from the UK tv show Skins

Tiffany -March 8, 2013, 3:32PM

The movie What a Girl Wants really inspired me. I love her vintage style and the girl in it is totally her own person. I think that movie will always have an effect on me.

Jenny Ekberg -March 8, 2013, 5:13PM

Roshambo :o)

Ash G -March 8, 2013, 5:48PM

I would have to say Zooey Deschanel in “500 Days of Summer” had me on a vintage summer dress theme for a while (:

Alissa -March 8, 2013, 5:52PM

I love that this was a topic because I am always inspired by what people wear in movies. I think my biggest inspiration is the character Rachel played by Lindsey Lohan in Georgia Rule, she wears amazing dresses that I wish I had. Another Inspiration would be from an older movie from the 60′s named I Love You, Alice B. Toklas. Also Holy Golightly in Breakfast At Tiffany’s, I know every one is inspired by that movie but it’s been a favorite of mine for most of my life. And I totally agree with that other commenters about Mary Kate Olson in The Wackness her hair is super cool and the movie What a Girl Wants her leather bag she carries with her is my favorite. And also Goldie Hawn in Butterflies are Free.

lynn -March 8, 2013, 6:00PM

I love to pull looks from animated films. Such as How to train your dragon and Tintin! :D

Jennifer -March 8, 2013, 6:04PM

I’ve been dressing like Audrey Tautou since Amelie. For awhile there even my hair looked like hers. I had a feeling when I clicked on this post she would be there. :-)

molly -March 8, 2013, 7:44PM

When I watch the sex and the city movies, it inspires me to be more quirky with my style, and really load on the accessories!

Nepenthe -March 8, 2013, 8:35PM

Star from Lost Boys

montana -March 8, 2013, 9:06PM

Almost Famous for sure. Gone with the Wind if I lived in the 1860s

Carolina -March 9, 2013, 1:37AM

My style is very much inspired by silent films. I’m a sucker for 1920s bohemians and flappers. However every now and then, I like to channel the Lisbon sisters from The Virgin Suicides.

Kyla -March 9, 2013, 6:57AM

Love the virgin suicides. quadraphoenia for the mod looks, T

Kyla -March 9, 2013, 7:03AM

I love The Talented Mr. Ripley for the 1950′s Italian Riviera looks on Gweneth Paltrow. Also Audrey
Hepburn in Charade . Im sure The Great Gatsby will be inspiring alot of looks .

Gillian -March 9, 2013, 12:10PM

Flashdance 1980. I remember coming home from the movies and cutting the neck out of my sweatshirt and letting it hang off one shoulder. Jennifer Beal’s character had her own individual style and didn’t feel the need to conform! :)

Meg -March 9, 2013, 7:06PM

Not so much a particular movie- but the show Mad Men always inspires me.

Madeline -March 10, 2013, 10:26AM

Penny Lane in Almost Famous inspires my look and my attitude each and every day!

Lucy -March 10, 2013, 11:22AM

I love the style of the leading woman (Anna?) in the 2012 film “Beginners.” She’s this free-spirited actress, and her style is so FreePeople.

Jess -March 10, 2013, 1:16PM

Marie Elena from Vicki Christina Barcelona. My go to outfit from spring through summer is a white dress with sandals and a black top hat. I love her easy style that is effortlessly sexy :)

victoria -March 10, 2013, 5:28PM

inspired me to make a board on pinterest ~ http://pinterest.com/ladyofwhatever/m-o-v-i-e-f-a-s-h-i-o-n/
a little bit of the fabulous stains, margot in royal tenenbaums, drew barrymore in poison ivy, clueless, desperately seeking susan, etc.

balletslippers -March 11, 2013, 7:37PM

Yes! A lot of times characters from movies do inspire my style fashion-, but also beauty-wise. I actually remember watching exactly this movie, Coco Chanel, and the next day pulling out my favourite striped shirt, curling my hair so that it was shorter and wearing red lipstick.
Recently I have been inspired by movies like The Artist and also shows like Pan Am. An all time favourite is also Pear Harbour, among tons of others.
Great post!
xoxo

Lois -March 14, 2013, 12:44PM

@Georgia I so agree the UK show Skins definitely changed my style. It’s was so edgy and cool

Blakelee -March 16, 2013, 8:41AM

Nikki Reed in Lords of Dogtown. Love that effortless, California cool vibe. I even take some inspiration from the boys! Throw on some denim cutoffs with a faded graphic tee, vans, and some tall socks & you’re good to go.

Skye -February 8, 2014, 5:03PM

Watching The Help and Downton Abbey has definitely influenced me style. The flirty dresses and patterns of the 60s, mixed with the elegance and ladylike details of the 20s are a huge inspiration for me. so glad I found this post!!