New Book Club Read: Play It As It Lays

Post image for New Book Club Read: Play It As It Lays

We have a new book club read this week! I’ve recently been reading great reviews about Joan Didion’s novel Play It As It Lays and bought it to start my series of summer reads. There has been much praise about the literary quality of this book. I love descriptive writing more than anything and a book written beautifully kills me every time, so I thought I’d give it a go. Play It As It Lays is about American life in the late 1960′s – it captures the mood of an entire generation, set in a place beyond good and evil – literally in Hollywood, Las Vegas, and the barren wasteland of the Mojave Desert.

I’m going to start reading this book this week, and every week will be writing my thoughts and summary of each chapter here on the blog – we’d love you to read along with us! You can purchase the book on Amazon.

book club

Image source

Tags: , ,

Comments

Courtney -April 23, 2013, 7:58AM

I love this book but haven’t read it in years. I wonder if I can dig up my copy.

Joan is one of my favorite writers. She doesn’t romanticize the ’60′s at all which I really appreciate.

rie -April 23, 2013, 10:37AM

happy international book day!! yey for this timely post!

anne -April 23, 2013, 11:04AM

i read this a couple years ago. it was very good.

Laura -April 23, 2013, 1:14PM

My book club read this earlier this year, and I still find myself thinking about it. The writing is exquisite. Make sure you have a pen or pencil handy because you are going to want to highlight multiple passages. Great pick. I’m sure you’re going to love it.

Lissa -April 23, 2013, 6:09PM

You should read Gone Girl. it’s addictive!

Hollie -April 25, 2013, 12:55AM

I bought it to read on my kindle app on my iphone, can’t wait to start reading

Hannah -April 25, 2013, 12:08PM

Picked up a copy at the library and am reading it now. This is my first foray into Joan Didion’s work. I’m excited :)

Fatima -June 26, 2013, 8:20PM

Special Offer!!!!
Hi,
I am Fatima, an assistant to Geva Salerno, author of the upcoming book “Center of Gravity”.
We are reaching out to a small number of book clubs with a special offer. We would like to share a FREE printed edition of the new, soon-to-be best seller “Center of Gravity” with you. Center of gravity describes the author’s one year experiment designed to reinvent her life and reclaim her authentic self through creativity, spirituality and a leap of faith.
All we ask, is that you provide honest feedback in return. If you are interested, please send a mailing address: info@gevasalerno.com
Looking forward to your response,
Fatima