Homemade Coconut Lavender Conditioner

Post image for Homemade Coconut Lavender Conditioner

After doing this post on homemade coconut milk shampoo, we had some requests for a conditioner to go along with it, so here you go! Coconut oil is actually an excellent conditioner on its own, but I decided to add a couple extra ingredients into the mix for some added hair benefits, as well as lavender oil for scent! This conditioner is very, very moisturizing, so you only need a tiny bit — and it will last you a long time. It also smells like pure bliss. So without further ado, here is your recipe for homemade coconut lavender conditioner!

What you need:
1 cup coconut oil (get organic if you can!)
1 teaspoon vitamin E oil
1 teaspoon jojoba oil
5 drops lavender essential oil

Homemade coconut lavender conditioner

You’ll also need a food mixer, as well as a container to store your conditioner — I used a small mason jar. All of the ingredients can be purchased at most health food stores, like Trader Joe’s or Whole Foods.

What you do:
Place all ingredients in a mixing bowl. Mix on high for about 8 minutes. Transfer into a container and you’re all set! Because coconut oil melts in high temperatures, those who live in warmth may want to store this in the refrigerator, but there is nothing wrong with using this conditioner in liquid form! This mixture should stay fresh until the coconut oil reaches its expiration date.

Homemade coconut conditioner

To use:
Apply a TINY amount of the conditioner to wet hair (after shampooing and rinsing, of course!). You really only need a tiny bit to get the job done! Start at your ends, then jump to the section right below your ears, working into hair in a downward motion. You can apply any remaining oil to the hair that surrounds your face if necessary, but avoid using this near the top of your head. This mixture is made purely out of oils, so it can make your hair appear greasy if you use too much. I used a nickel-sized amount, and my hair is very long. Leave in for about 2-5 minutes, and then rinse.

Once your hair is dry, if you find that you’ve used too much, just use a bit of dry shampoo to soak up some of the oil! :)

*Bonus: Before you get out of the shower, apply the conditioner to your arms and legs – this mixture doubles as an incredibly moisturizing lotion!*

Homemade coconut lavender conditioner ingredients

Photos by Jana and Brigette

More homemade beauty ideas!

Tags: , , , , , ,

Comments

Lindsey -April 19, 2013, 10:23AM

Great post!

And thank you for being precise with the measurements!

Meg -April 19, 2013, 11:23AM

Thanks for posting.
Man, I LOVE coconut!
Can’t wait to try this.

Shelley -April 19, 2013, 11:32AM
Michelle -April 19, 2013, 2:48PM

Someone try this yet? I’m curious how it works….

shauna -April 19, 2013, 6:39PM

This looks like a great recipe. I’m always looking for natural products to use for beauty and hair.

Lauren -April 19, 2013, 7:51PM

Cheers! :)

Amber -April 20, 2013, 8:16AM

I love this! I have all these products in my medicine cabinet already. Thank you Jana & Brigette!

Valerie -May 5, 2013, 5:38PM

I absolutely love the shampoo to this. I tried it for the first time today and I will admit that as my hair was drying it felt a little oily and after my hair dried, it’s like my hair adsorbed the oil. It now looks super healthy and there’s no fly aways- and my hair is super thick- and to top it off, nothing makes me feel better about myself than using natural products. On a side note, I ended up using a lavender scented castile soap instead of the regular and it smells amazing! On the conditioner, though I think I’m going to swap out the jojoba oil for shea butter! Can’t wait (:

Justine -May 16, 2013, 11:52PM

I just made this, and I have to say, I love it! I am a year round swimmer, and it is hard to keep my long hair soft and pretty. After using this conditioner my hair is like silk. Now I don’t have to worry about killing my long blonde hair! And definitely don’t use more than a small dollop, it is definitely enough.

Tifferninny -May 27, 2013, 9:18AM

I love this recipe! I made a half batch last night and tried it out. I unfortunately used way too much on my hair so I had to hop back in the shower and fix it with a little of the coconut milk shampoo. I adore all of the homemade and beauty diy’s! Stay lovely, ladies!

Stephanie -May 30, 2013, 12:24AM

I just made this today! Yay! Thanks, ladies.

Holly -May 31, 2013, 4:23PM

Can I make it and freeze for later? Or can I freeze coconut milk that will be leftover for next batch? Got a feeling I will love it. I could share some if you think freezing would damage it. I hate waste!

Britt -July 13, 2013, 11:13AM

Does anybody know how this works on African-American hair? I love putting coconut oil in my hair, and I’m curious as to whether this would still get the job done.

Jessica -July 13, 2013, 1:05PM

Britt- My boss is African- American and she spoke wonders of Jojoba oil and Vitamin E oil in hair products. She’s not too sure about the lavender essential oil, but jojoba and vitamin e oil are great.

natural shampoo for hair loss -July 31, 2013, 3:52PM

Just wish to say your article is as amazing. The clearness in your post
is just excellent and i could assume you are an expert
on this subject. Well with your permission let me to grab your RSS feed to keep updated with forthcoming
post. Thanks a million and please continue the gratifying
work.

Princess -August 8, 2013, 2:32PM

Hi! hope everyone’s having a great day. I tried this conditioner out last night and my hair is still looks and feels too greasy. Is there a way to fix this? Thanks!!

Peace and love, P

Sonya -August 19, 2013, 8:50PM

Just as a suggestion to those of you having trouble with it being too greasy, use this first and then shampoo.
I have been using coconut oil for a while now to condition (along with using it as my face moisturizer). I just smooth it into my hair from root to end and comb through. Use enough so that it looks wet. Leave it in 10min to half hour and then shampoo out. As i rinse the shampoo out i comb my hair as its long and fine so can tangle easy. This method makes my hair so sleek and shiny and i don’t need to wash it as often as using bought conditioner. And it leaves no grease or residues in your hair. I would like to try the above oils mixture as it sounds nice

Michelle Patterson -August 21, 2013, 11:34AM

I bet this smells divine! Can’t wait to try it out! #oils4everyone

Tori -August 30, 2013, 7:20PM

Question for Sonya if you are still around: do you put the coconut oil on your hair when it’s dry? I, too, have fine hair. I tried this recipe after using store bought shampoo but found my hair impossible to comb. Ouch! I even combed it in the shower with the conditioner still on my hair. Any suggestions? I don’t want to give up just yet. Thx!

Carolyn -September 1, 2013, 7:57AM

So nice!! I love it. <3

maria -September 21, 2013, 8:39PM

I just made this today and used it, omg.s i love it!!!!
My hair is so curly and no frizz !!!!)))
Thank you so much !!!!!
I used the conditioner as my shaving cream, my legs so smooth :~)

Anonymous -October 16, 2013, 8:54PM

Just wondering if anyone has any ideas for me… I used this last night for the first time, after the coconut milk shampoo (which feels wonderful to wash with!). However – I have super fine hair and lots of it, a little below shoulder length. It has always been extremely knotty and unfortunately, it was worse than ever after using this. I found I had to use more than recommended just in order to get it into my tangeld mess of hair. Consequently, I have that greasy/looks-unwashed thing going on today. And it’s still knotty! I like Sonya’s idea of conditioning first and washing second, so will try that. But also interested to hear how others with similar hair types approach the conditioning issue. Thanks a lot :)

Courtney -November 17, 2013, 2:23PM

Love these ingredients! I just made this and am looking to use it more as a lotion. The end result of the batch you made seems to be a lot thicker then mine. I used coconut oil that is specifically made for hair and skin… could that be why mine is more a liquid substance?

fp brigette -November 18, 2013, 10:11AM

Courtney – It could be! Also, coconut oil will liquify when it is in a warm environment. If you store yours in a cooler place it may turn into more of a solid. Hope that helps :)

Kathleen -November 23, 2013, 9:00PM

I just made this, and really like it. It seems to leave my hair softer and shinier than using only coconut oil. I live in a warm climate, so it is in liquid form, which I think allows a little bit to go further. I use it before I shampoo. If I use it after, my hair is too oily. I massage some into my scalp, run my oily fingers through my hair, and clip my hair up for a few hours before I shampoo. I had an itchy scalp before, but no more.

Catherine -January 20, 2014, 7:35AM

I made this, really like it ;) I did what another commenter suggested and use it on dry hair before shampoo, about half a tsp, and leave it on for about an hour. I love using coconut oil, and the extra goodies in this make it seem even more angelic :)

Judith -January 20, 2014, 5:17PM

How do you get yours to solidify, mine stays like water and I also found because I have longer hair I used too much and it was very greasy and the knots were hard to get out

Ella -January 27, 2014, 3:29PM

cool

Alanna -January 27, 2014, 3:32PM

I want to start selling things like this like grainet cleaner stainless steal clearner air freshner hair detangler shampoo stuff like that

Anonymous -January 27, 2014, 3:33PM

where could i buy jojoba oil????????????????????

Lady Moraine -February 17, 2014, 8:42PM

Mmm sounds delicious! ‘m going to put this on my homemade cupcakes!!!

Ella -February 22, 2014, 7:44PM

You can buy jojoba oil at trater joes

Natalie -February 24, 2014, 4:32PM

hello all!!

after using this conditioner can/should you use some apple cider vinegar afterwards to replenish the pH as well as alleviating the oiliness?

Ella -February 24, 2014, 5:17PM

It was really really oil so oilly that when i woke up i had to take a shower and use the store bought kind do you haVE nay suggjestiones

cmeron -February 24, 2014, 5:18PM

Stephanie -February 28, 2014, 10:59PM

I used a tiny amount and it still came out oily even after reshampooing. I am going to try it again though because I’m determined to make it work. Smells amazing!

Christine -March 7, 2014, 1:39PM

I love this stuff! I work at a pool and teach a lot of lessons, so I am in the water all the time. I put this on under a cap before I get in the pool. It protects and moisturizes my hair perfectly!

Laura -April 14, 2014, 5:17PM

Just wanted to add my two cents… First off- thank you very much for this & the shampoo recipe. I made them both about 3-4 weeks ago & have been using them… I use the conditioner first, then I rinse it out, and then use the shampoo, followed by an apple cider vinegar rinse. My hair is very thick & curly (ringlet curly if it isn’t too long). I found if I did this the traditional way (shampoo then conditioner), then I did find it left my hair a little oily… but when I do it backwards, it comes out great. I love the lavender smell! Also, before getting out of the shower I use the conditioner all over my skin, and my skin has never felt better. One day, I was in a rush & used a 2 in 1 store brand & was really surprised to see my hair looked very dull and felt very dry. Thank you so much for these recipes!!

Anonymous -May 5, 2014, 11:42AM

i like it

ira -May 27, 2014, 9:34AM

I was wondering what would happen if I added some coconut milk and honey to the conditioner mixture when I blend it. Would it separate or stay together nicely?

Brandee -July 18, 2014, 11:28AM

Have not tried this but I am going to make some this weekend. I make my own products for myself and cooking. GREAT STUFF!! I always use the organic unrefined coconut oil. For those with sensitive or troubled shin try some organic Neem oil and organic Tea Tree oil instead of citrus oils and yes use it on your skin. I was interested in any other conditioner for the thin and easy to oil hair too. Have not seen much feed back except the condition before you shampoo. But what about the TANGLES my daughter and my hair gets so full of tangles!! Thanks for all the great feed back. Make it a lovely day!

kat -August 6, 2014, 12:40AM

Hi, I am looking at this recipe with interest but I am going to ask is it safe on colored or highlighted hair?

Aimee -August 29, 2014, 8:53AM

Brandee,
I have long fine hair, and I’ve found that natural herbs that contain mucilage are great for detangling. (Mucilage is a complex mixture of polysaccharides that form a gelatinous substance when water is added. It provides a soothing slip to hair.)
Try these herbs:
Burdock, Flax, Hibiscus, or Marshmallow Root.
They all contain high levels of mucilage.

Hope this helps.

Kim -September 15, 2014, 7:53PM

Hi there, does this conditioner give your hair that wonderful silky feel while you are in the shower? I know some comments said that their hair feels great after but I have some organic conditioner that I
bought from Whole Foods and it does not have ANY silk factor. Silk feel is crucial to me!
Thanks in advance :)

igrow laser review -September 17, 2014, 5:00AM

They want you to come to the salon on a regular basis so they
tell you that you need to get a haircut every four to six weeks,
but it’s just a way for them to make more money. When too much pressure is put on the hair over time
it can speed up the hair shedding process, resulting in the loss of hairs already in the telogen phase.
Your hair protected the top of the head from the elements.

Great Lakes Biodiesel Inc. -September 25, 2014, 8:51PM

I am very happy to read this. This is the type of manual that needs to be given and not the accidental misinformation that’s at the other blogs. Appreciate your sharing this greatest doc.
Great Lakes Biodiesel Inc. http://www.yellowpages.ca/bus/Ontario/Toronto/Great-Lake-Biodiesel-Inc/7154496.html

http://www.tracysnotebookofstyle.com -September 27, 2014, 8:00PM

Rio Trading Firm (Well being) is showcasing ɑ brand neѡ range օf supplements referred tߋ as Epigenar®, ѡhich
are designed to wօrk alongside NutraMedix products tߋ promote wellness (stand 1406).

Financial advisor austin -October 4, 2014, 7:21PM

For those who qualify it can be the optimal solution, however, it
is important to note that not everyone qualifies for the Offer in Compromise solution. There exist also
some job websites that specialize only in accounting vacancies that can be of great
chance in the specific situation. Most of us, instead of looking for ways to reduce debt we just keep adding more debt
thinking we can somehow we can get out from under all this debt.

Prospekt -October 8, 2014, 3:55AM

naturally like your web site however you have to take a look
at the spelling on quite a few of your posts.
Many of them are rife with spelling issues and I find it very troublesome to tell the truth
then again I’ll definitely come again again.

domain -October 12, 2014, 2:29AM

For latest information you have to pay a quick visit world
wide web and on web I found this web site as a most excellent web site for newest updates.

talia m -October 27, 2014, 4:38PM

I like to add olive oil to to my organic conditioner. I use the Made from Earth Peppermint Conditioner – its my favorite of the organic conditioners (and I have tried them all). I add the olive oil – use the conditioner – and I usually detangle my hair before and after I condition, and this helps make detangling a breeze!

Edan -December 10, 2014, 2:01PM

Very good creation. Definitely have to condition then shampoo unless you use a little less coconut oil and add aloe Vera. It stays thicker and you can actually brush your hair. Highly recommended for people with severe dry scalp. Goodbye nasty t-gel and seldom blue thanks.