Recipe: Chocolate Chip Coconut Macaroons (Gluten-Free & Dairy-Free)

Post image for Recipe: Chocolate Chip Coconut Macaroons (Gluten-Free & Dairy-Free)

The third post in our series focusing on restricted diets from Beth of Tasty Yummies!

I have no problems admitting that I am pretty much obsessed with coconut, one of my favorite things ever! Add chocolate to it and forget it, I lose my mind. I have always loved coconut macaroons, but most times they are loaded with too much sugar or oftentimes dairy – sometimes people even sneak gluten in there. I wanted to create a version of my favorite cookie that was refined-sugar-free, dairy-free and of course, gluten-free. I am so happy with how these turned out. They have a nice crisp outside and a soft chewy inside and though you could get messy and dip these in melted chocolate, why bother when you can just add some mini chocolate chips?!

I included a vegan option at the bottom of the recipe. I haven’t yet experimented with this, but have seen many recipes that utilize an egg replacer for the egg whites.

coconut gluten free macaroon recipe

Chocolate Chip Coconut Macaroons – Gluten-free + Dairy-free

Makes 18-20 cookies

2 cups unsweetened shredded organic coconut

1/4 cup local organic honey* or organic Grade B maple syrup

1 teaspoon vanilla extract (or almond extract)

1/3 cup dairy-free mini chocolate chips

2 large local egg whites

pinch of salt

*If you want to use raw honey, just heat it up before hand over a very low heat, to liquify it.

gluten-free macaroon recipe

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350º F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

In a medium bowl mix together everything except the egg whites and salt, making sure the coconut is evenly coated with the honey (or maple syrup). Get your hands in there, that’s what I do!

In the bowl of your stand mixer, or using an electric mixer, beat the egg whites with a small pinch of salt. Beat for 2-3 minutes until stiff peaks form when you lift the mixer out.

Gently fold the coconut mixture into the eggs, being careful not to totally destroy the lovely beaten eggs. Let sit in the fridge for 10 minutes.

Drop batter onto the lined baking sheet, one rounded tablespoonful at a time. I like to really press the batter into the tablespoon, then carefully tap the cookie out of the spoon. It makes for the most perfect shape.

Bake for 12-15 minutes until golden brown. Let chill for 5 minutes on the baking sheet, then transfer to wire rack to continue cooling completely.

*To make vegan try using 3 teaspoons Ener-G egg replacer with 4 tablespoons of water and be sure to choose maple syrup over honey. I haven’t tried these yet this way, but there are many recipes online that use the egg replacer instead. Just whisk the egg replacer with the water, add a pinch of salt and add the coconut mixture to it.

gluten-free macaroons

To see some of Beth’s awesome gluten-free recipes visit her blog Tasty Yummies!

More healthy recipes from the BLDG 25 Blog.

Tags: , , , ,

Comments

Sarah Midland -April 18, 2013, 9:56AM

Hi Julia

They look very tasty :) I could just eat one. Going to have to give this a try, thanks for the ingredients.

Sarah

Lily -April 18, 2013, 10:15AM

These look so delicious , and I want to make them right now! I have a faerie festival coming up soon, though, that I’m trying to slim down for, so I’m trying only to eat raw for the next couple weeks.

Alissa N -April 18, 2013, 11:59AM

Oh my goodness, these look totally incredible!! I will definitely be making them, I can’t wait!!

Dani -April 18, 2013, 1:12PM

These look wonderful! I was just looking for a new gf cookie recipe to make this weekend

amanda -April 18, 2013, 2:58PM

i’m lactose intolerant – any auggestions of where to find dairy-free chocolate chips? ive never been able to find such a thing

Beth @ Tasty Yummies -April 18, 2013, 4:11PM

Amanda – Chocolate Dream makes dairy-free chocolate chips, as does Enjoy Life. Both can be bought online if you can’t find them locally. Just do a quick google on them.

Orchid Grey -April 18, 2013, 4:17PM

Amanda- Whole Foods also sells dairy, nut, and gluten-free dark chocolate chips. Only three ingredients too. They can be found in the aisle with the bulk foods and baking products. A bag is usually around $5.99.

Mer -April 18, 2013, 9:25PM

It’s labelled dairy-free but egg whites= dairy!!!

Justine -April 18, 2013, 10:52PM

@Mer – Egg whites are not dairy……………………

Larkspur Company -April 19, 2013, 2:52AM

My coworker is gluten-free! She’ll love these! I’m pretty sure coconut is the answer to everything in baking. Coconut cream makes a super yummy chocolate mousse when you whip it with some cocoa powder. YUM. Thanks, FP!

Beth @ Tasty Yummies -April 19, 2013, 4:27PM

@Mer egg whites are definitely 100% not dairy. Dairy comes from mammals aka – cows, goats, sheep, horses, yaks, llamas, camels, or other animals which produce milk.
Eggs, on the other hand, come from avians like chickens, ducks, and geese, among others. With the exception of the monotremes, animals that lay eggs cannot produce milk. Hope that helps ;)

Polly -April 21, 2013, 1:42AM

do you thing organic agave nectar could be substituted for the honey?

brie -April 22, 2013, 9:47AM

I wonder if there is a substitute that could be used for the eggs??. While they are not dairy, they are still an animal product. Would be great to have them entirely cruelty-free and fit within a vegan diet….

sandie -April 24, 2013, 12:42PM

agave nectar is high in fructose, not good for the liver. Try Grade B Maple Syrup–second pouring, rich in minerals and flavor, much lower in sugar.

Beth @ Tasty Yummies -April 25, 2013, 10:17AM

Polly – yes the agave absolutely would work for the honey or maple syrup.

Beth @ Tasty Yummies -April 25, 2013, 10:18AM

Brie – if you read the post I actually mention using an egg replacer. Please let me know how it turns out if you try it. Thank you.

Justina -April 27, 2013, 4:59PM

These look amazing. I try to only cook with unrefined sugar. It seems more costly, but I know it’s better for me and puts a real dollar amount on food.

Nikki -May 2, 2013, 9:52PM

I just made these with the kids I babysit…so yummy I can’t even. Definitely ate more than I should have, that’s for sure! Thanks for posting!!

Priya -May 5, 2013, 9:44PM

Making these tonight!! Couldn’t find dairy-free chocolate chips anywhere though, which is disappointing. Does anyone know where to purchase these??

Kristen -May 10, 2013, 6:53PM

These look good! I’m not a huge fan of coconut, but I’m warming to it now that I’m gluten-free. :)
For those looking for dairy-free chocolate chips, I buy Enjoy Life chocolate chips. You can find them at just about any grocery store — I buy mine at Super Target. (Check the Enjoy Life website — they have a store locator function.)

Rachel -May 17, 2013, 8:07PM

You can also add half of a banana and walnuts for some extra flavor and texture to this divine recipe!

Ashley -July 19, 2013, 11:57PM

Eggs are not dairy

Anonymous -December 7, 2013, 11:51PM

I think the eggs / dairy confusion is because the eggs are usually in the dairy section or “eggs and dairy section” at the store! Thanks all who helped with locating dairy-free chocolate chips DARK – I like using the 60+ % cacao – hopefully I’ll find that at Whole Foods!